Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray: confession :(

Bassfingers

Just dug out my ‘Ray which I haven’t really played for a couple of months. It’s so nice going from one type of bass to another to keep things fresh and make you appreciate them all anew.

I fancied something bright to counteract the P with flats. I didn’t want to take my head off with the Celinder and I’ve been playing the L2000 a bit recently too - so the Stingray was the perfect choice. 

Chonky and rubbery, bright and snappy… nice 😎

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'd love a stingray. I had a 5 until the medical issues got in the way too much.

A really light 4 string would be lovely... BUT on the Specials EBMM have made the necks a little wider than they used to be and it's not right for me anymore.

Gutted. 

That’s a shame. I’ve held a few newer models and have found the necks a bit sharp at the edges but I’m not super sensitive to profile. The neck on mine feels exactly the same as my G&Ls, which would make sense I suppose. Yeah that can be heavy, seems like the classics are more so than the earlier ones for some reason. I’m not sure if there’s a combo of light body and narrow neck for you out there, having lost the plot around the time they introduced the Cutlass (the first time round!). Maybe a Sterling?

On 23/10/2021 at 12:44, ped said:

That’s a shame. I’ve held a few newer models and have found the necks a bit sharp at the edges but I’m not super sensitive to profile. The neck on mine feels exactly the same as my G&Ls, which would make sense I suppose. Yeah that can be heavy, seems like the classics are more so than the earlier ones for some reason. I’m not sure if there’s a combo of light body and narrow neck for you out there, having lost the plot around the time they introduced the Cutlass (the first time round!). Maybe a Sterling?

Even the Sterling isn’t a lightweight Ped, I’m on my 3rd and it’s the lightest I’ve had at smack on 9lb. With the smaller body, headstock and neck profile you’d have thought it’d be a fair bit better than it is. I’m sure there are some lightweight ones out there, maybe it’s just keep looking. That said I still think the Sterling is one of the nicest neck profiles out there.

• Like 2

My Stingray, the ‘White Whale’ has never struck me as heavy compared to my other instruments, despite its slab body. I’ll weigh it to check but it’s very comfortable. They must have varied quite a bit but the older bodies made by Grover Jackson all seem on the lighter side

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ped said:

My Stingray, the ‘White Whale’ has never struck me as heavy compared to my other instruments, despite its slab body. I’ll weigh it to check but it’s very comfortable. They must have varied quite a bit but the older bodies made by Grover Jackson all seem on the lighter side

I think the first ones he assembled were from already made parts - but not all pre EB Stingrays are heavy - I don’t recall mine being heavy although it was about 40 yrs ago when I bought it so such things would probably not have been at the front of my mind - the main selling points were that I wanted one, loved the sound of the instrument and it had a very easy neck to play (the lack of the latter was one of the things that put me off my previous heart’s delight, a Precision).

Moving to EBMM Stingrays, I find the 90s models have a slightly more chunky neck - still great to play - but the later production and current Stingray Specials somehow have totally sublime necks - in my view it’s a combination of the attention to detail (they’re all hand finished), the roasted neck, the finish on the neck and the profile/width combination.

In terms of weight, my Classic Stingray (made April 2010 from very early production) is 9.75 lbs. My Old Smoothie (also slab bodied), from 2016 is lighter - about 9 lbs. I have a 2014 mahogany bodied Sabre Classic and that’s also about 9 lbs - as is my 2007 Stingray 4HH. 

More recently, the Stingray Specials are generally light in comparison, even the 5 strings - my 4HH and 5HH are a little over 8 lbs.

My last two EBMM basses (Stingray Special long scale Tim Commerford signature - passive) and Bongo 5HH Crescendo are just under 8 lbs and 7.75 lbs. 

From this I’d conclude that the more recent production is lighter generally than the 90s/2000 models.

However I would point out I have an SR5 which is between 10 and 11 lbs - but has excellent balance on a strap - using a well padded strap this bass is fine for me on a gig - it sounds and looks great as well - lovely figured ash body/maple neck. 

DD4B88E3-58EE-447C-A335-C28E727917C6.jpeg.352f4d5f3beaeabae54375200f392e34.jpeg

10-11 lbs (2003 5 string/ash bodied bass)

66B9736D-CFAE-40A1-9939-D11A52E9F4C6.thumb.jpeg.98229679c377711ffba9819dddc64f1e.jpeg

Under 8 lbs (2021 basswood bodied bass)

459B2EEE-C4BD-40AD-B2C8-1807F5487F49.thumb.jpeg.f137b92d29b68e626d0197db4cd771ca.jpeg6F2EB314-26AE-496B-B392-93B746D47F68.thumb.jpeg.2e7302eece6afe96e7867014dbc4e9be.jpeg

Just under 8 lbs (2021 ash bodied bass)

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue. I had a 2006 maple necked Stingray 5 in gloss black, bought the HH Stealth model in 2010 because it looked great, sold the maple and miss it still. 

The painted neck on the Stealth just doesn’t work for me and never had the same feel. The Stealth sounds great with the extra humbucker but don’t love it. I’ve listed it on Basschat and try a few other non-Musicman options

:(