Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray: confession :(

Bassfingers

5 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Wow, I didn’t know that, I think the one I looked at was about 2.5k 

Yeah, the Mk3 is around £4k new but seems to sell for around £2.5 - £3k. The 30th anniversary model is £5k. Check out the price of a new TRB 😱

• Like 1

I wonder what you had before? I have suffered something similar in the past. Being a fingerstyle player, I always rest my thumb on the pickup cover. 

Being a dyed in the wool Precision player, I found the fact that I was further down the string affected the amount of travel in the string and the position of my arm also changed in relation to the bass. These combined to get me to ditch the old Stingray I had. I bought the SUB so I could have the sound without an almighty investment - and possible repeat of the disappointment.

I think one thing that changed for me when buying basses was to make sure the bass felt right when standing up as well as seated. I’ve found that different strap adjustments can be vital when trying something new rather than just using your usual strap and hoping it’s fine. It can make all the difference, even with very similar style of basses.

6 minutes ago, casapete said:

I think one thing that changed for me when buying basses was to make sure the bass felt right when standing up as well as seated. I’ve found that different strap adjustments can be vital when trying something new rather than just using your usual strap and hoping it’s fine. It can make all the difference, even with very similar style of basses.

Always try with a strap. There’s at least one bass I would’ve avoided if I had done this.*

*Probably best to take one with you as shops aren’t often happy about supplying one.

Edited by ezbass

7 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Always try with a strap. There’s at least one bass I would’ve avoided if I had done this.*

*Probably best to take one with you as shops aren’t often happy about supplying one.

These days I always play seated so it’s thankfully not a big issue for me anymore. 😉

• Like 1

Like others have said, try a change of strings before you do anything drastic. I cannot cope with the tension in flats, I feel like I am fighting them the whole time.

For the most part I have had Elixirs on my Rays but will always say good things about Slinky’s and also Dunlop Super Brights worked well.

Regarding tone, I've played a couple Stingray5s since forever as my main basses (one with flats, one with rounds nowadays). OTOH, I hardly ever use them home, not that nice for playing on your own really (usually too "in your face"). Its virtues tend to shine more in a band mix environment. Doesn't ever get lost/buried, and it's probably one of the easiest bass tones to post-produce because of that. It's just not a good bedroom bass by any means, I mostly use a FSO or my Star Bass for that.

Edited by andruca

I've owned three; I love the look, despite my neck preferences (broom handles can be a bit big for me) I loved how they played, and I love other people playing them, but they're just not me. I kept buying them (before they hit four figures) and then moving them on, I've reconciled myself to that now. I have a Shuker with a MM pickup in roughly the right place if I need that sound...

I have a similar relationship with Rickenbackers....

I owned one for about eight years, I couldn't fault it at all, best bass i owned at the time by i country mile, but it was never the bass i picked up first. I could never get the sound i wanted out of it and it took me years to work that out and sell it. I changed the preamp from a 3 band to a 2 band and that did help a lot but it still never got where i wanted to be.   

2 minutes ago, simon88wilson said:

I owned one for about eight years, I couldn't fault it at all, best bass i owned at the time by i country mile, but it was never the bass i picked up first. I could never get the sound i wanted out of it and it took me years to work that out and sell it. I changed the preamp from a 3 band to a 2 band and that did help a lot but it still never got where i wanted to be.   

What did, or are you still searching?

On 12/07/2021 at 09:21, simon88wilson said:

I started using a Precision, they seem to just work and be suitable for everything. I still like taking other basses out but i know the P bass tone works for me.

Exactly my experience and Im probably a lot older than you. Bought an original SR in 1980, played it all thru the 80's...it was kinda de rigour at the time...short strap, bent wrist...dear oh dear but there was always something missing...as if I'd skipped dinner...the tone sounded kind of empty. Eventually sold it and traded a few P basses....Im still playing the P's and will never go back to active. 

I had a Classic briefly which I got in a part trade, with a view to selling. Thankfully there was absolutely nothing about it I liked, so selling it was easy. 😂 I really, really want to like Rays; they have such a great slap sound (not that I slap these days) amongst other things, and they look really cool, but I just cannot seem to get on with them, and lord knows I’ve tried. I haven’t tried one of the Specials yet though, although given the price I think there are too many alternatives I’d likely prefer. But still, you never know. 

8 hours ago, 4000 said:

I had a Classic briefly which I got in a part trade, with a view to selling. Thankfully there was absolutely nothing about it I liked, so selling it was easy. 😂 I really, really want to like Rays; they have such a great slap sound (not that I slap these days) amongst other things, and they look really cool, but I just cannot seem to get on with them, and lord knows I’ve tried. I haven’t tried one of the Specials yet though, although given the price I think there are too many alternatives I’d likely prefer. But still, you never know. 

I sort of feel the same, they look the absolute balls and I sound like Flea slapping but still feel a bit off playing wise.

I love the grunt out of my ray34, would love to try a US for the craic but my wallet disagrees!

I live mine! It does everything really well and is a great partner to a P and J bass. It sits between them really well. The pre EB ones have necks to die for and the slab bodies look really chunky.

3 minutes ago, ped said:

I live mine! It does everything really well and is a great partner to a P and J bass. It sits between them really well. The pre EB ones have necks to die for and the slab bodies look really chunky.

I remember, Yours is a really nice one ped , have you got a pic 🙂

On 12/07/2021 at 07:54, NJE said:

Like others have said, try a change of strings before you do anything drastic. I cannot cope with the tension in flats, I feel like I am fighting them the whole time.

For the most part I have had Elixirs on my Rays but will always say good things about Slinky’s and also Dunlop Super Brights worked well.

Also echo this comment. I think my Ray is more sensitive to string types than anything else - you’ve got TI flats on it now, maybe go the other end of the scale and put some steel rounds on it and it’ll sound and feel the opposite. I just took some cobalt flats off mine (they always go rusty so I’ve given them up) and out on some elixirs (my rounds of choice - nickel 40-95) and it’s great fun. There’s so much fidelity in that big pickup. 

• Like 1