Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray: confession :(

Bassfingers

I feel I'm among understanding friends here, so thought I would share a confession I have about my 2013 Musicman Stingray HH. 

It is, without doubt, a fine and well crafted instrument with a great tonal range and a fantastic neck. The action will sit as low as I want and it is no effort to play. A wide strap compensates for the weight and with the TI flats I have on at the moment it sounds great.

In short, it is the best bass I have ever owned and I like it - a lot. But (this is the confession bit) I don't LOVE it. Feels almost sacrilegious to say this but I've had her for 2 years now and play every day. 

I don't know what it is, but I don't feel as free on the fingerboard as I do with other basses. It might be something to do with how the bass sits on me. It feels maybe a little too biased to the right. The neck is amazing, but altogether it just seems to lack that rubbery funky freedom (that's the best I can do) I've had on other basses. For precision, tone, quality and looks (sunburst with tort pickguard) for that matter I can't fault it. I'm just finding it a little..... sterile? 

I just wondered if others have had a similar experience with Stingrays. I played a Stingray 5 recently, and that seemed to sit differently against the body. 

I'd be really interested to hear your experience of this amazing bass that I seem to be surprisingly ambivalent about. 

It can't be just me? Can it (Janet)?

• Like 1

Only keep stuff you love to bits, like my hand reliced p bass here  (go to page 1, it’s not the bass shown below)

and my vintage stingray copy (partner sneakily bought for me, punches far above its weight) 

Edited by Geek99

6 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Only keep stuff you love to bits, like my hand reliced p bass here  (go to page 1, it’s not the bass shown below)

and my vintage stingray copy (partner sneakily bought for me, punches far above its weight) 

Now that looks like a bass you would want to grab and play to bits. Nice work! 

Simple answer - change to a Stingray Special HH (much lighter - and larger belly contour and changed forearm contour 😏)

However - my 2007 SR4HH is still one of my favourite basses - even though I’ve got the same bass as a Stingray Special as well!! 

• Like 1

I bought a Precision Elite a couple of years ago.

It was a really nice bass and very well put together but I just didn't bond with it.

I changed strings to a standard gauge set of Rotosound Swing bass, from the original Fender strings, and I still wasn't sure about it.

But then I put a set of Elixir 45/65/80/100 and the bass came to life. The strings sounded better and the lighter gauge allowed me to play more fluidly.

This is not the first time a change of strings has brought a bass to life for me.

Sometimes that's all it takes, to change a dud to a player..

• Like 4

13 hours ago, gjones said:

I bought a Precision Elite a couple of years ago.

It was a really nice bass and very well put together but I just didn't bond with it.

I changed strings to a standard gauge set of Rotosound Swing bass, from the original Fender strings, and I still wasn't sure about it.

But then I put a set of Elixir 45/65/80/100 and the bass came to life. The strings sounded better and the lighter gauge allowed me to play more fluidly.

This is not the first time a change of strings has brought a bass to life for me.

Sometimes that's all it takes, to change a dud to a player..

This would be my advice, before doing anything drastic like selling it, try some different string gauges / material / manufacturers then make up your mind. 

For me I'm a sucker for low tension nickels, and can highly recommend Dunlop Super Bright Nickels 40-100. They tend to bring basses to life for me. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Although I’ve found that me & Stingrays aren’t that good a match they’ve sounded best to me with Ernie Ball Super Slinky’s on them.

I agree. Both of my EB basses get super slinkies. They just seem to “fit” the tone of the bass perfectly.

On 09/07/2021 at 23:22, Bassfingers said:

Now that looks like a bass you would want to grab and play to bits. Nice work! 

The P-bass in the photo is mine.  1978 Aria.  Every time it goes out, I put a scrape in it.

It's odd, I love that bass even though it's not really me at all.  I just love it because it was a surprise (and very cheap) Gumtree purchase, I bought it back to life and it lives.  Swapped out bits and it's never failed me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andy67 said:

Have a Mk2 Yamaha Attitude that I cannot bond with at all. It has sat in a case, under my bed, for the last 23 years. 

I so wanted to like the attitude I tried, it sounded fantastic, I had the money in my pocket, but I just couldn’t get on with the chunky neck, i was really disappointed, what don’t you like about yours Andy 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I so wanted to like the attitude I tried, it sounded fantastic, I had the money in my pocket, but I just couldn’t get on with the chunky neck, i was really disappointed, what don’t you like about yours Andy 🙂

It just doesn’t sit on me plus the neck dive, due to the heavy head, is annoying. The chunky neck is ok but it does sound great 👍 My 1999 EBMM Stingray is just perfect 😍 Y’know, it’s £5k for a new attitude these days 🤭

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1