Why become a member? ×

NBD Vintage Modern P bass

artisan

OK so I fell out with my Canadian Dingwall ABZ,although it is undoubtedly a thing of beauty & plays sublimely well I just can't get it to sound how I'd like it in the band.

Since I realised I was trying to make it sound like a P bass (which it isn't) I made up my mind I actually needed a P bass.

After much research & browsing I didn't want a Fender as they are massively over priced,then spotted the Vintage Modern basses on Bass Direct.

Contacted Mark & sorted a good trade deal out for this little beauty.

It is a sublime P bass,sounds ace,build quality is spot on & it has a gorgeous roasted maple neck too.

So I've gone full circle once again & ended up on a P bass.

You'd think I'd learn 😁

20210709_150120.jpg

20210709_150127.jpg

20210709_150133.jpg

20210709_150204.jpg

Edited by artisan
  • Like 14

13 minutes ago, jassbass said:

Ive been looking at these,seem fantastic 

Love the colour 

Thank you 😊

It's even nicer in the flesh,the photos don't capture the colour very well.

I am very tempted to get one of their Jazz basses to go with this one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, artisan said:

Thank you 😊

It's even nicer in the flesh,the photos don't capture the colour very well.

I am very tempted to get one of their Jazz basses to go with this one.

Im jealous as it looks amazing 

Think you got the only green one in stock

• Thanks 1

I'm pleased you're happy with it, I've been keen to hear more about these since I first watched Ed Friedland's YouTube review of the MV Jazz a while ago. 

They are very tasty looking instruments and I love the look of the roasted necks.

I agree with the comment above regarding the price though, I think far eastern build quality is very good but the profit margins on these must be very fat indeed.

• Like 2

I'm not too sure on that really,the hardware is all very good quality,the build quality it totally flawless,it sounds just as you'd expect & it plays beautifully.

Personally I really don't care where it was made it is a very high quality  P bass & the neck,oh the neck 

• Like 2

Very exciting!
I also have one on the way, fingers crossed it will arrive with me this week! :D 

I think it's probably time that we move away from this 'far eastern = cheaply built" mindset. Sure that's true in some cases, but these are highly spec'd, low-order-quantity basses, they're not building hundreds at a time, far from it I believe. They're designed by Rob Elrick I think, and so John Files (of Sonata Marketing) and Rob are not going to settle for any old cheap factory knocking them out!

Si

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Very exciting!
I also have one on the way, fingers crossed it will arrive with me this week! :D 

I think it's probably time that we move away from this 'far eastern = cheaply built" mindset. Sure that's true in some cases, but these are highly spec'd, low-order-quantity basses, they're not building hundreds at a time, far from it I believe. They're designed by Rob Elrick I think, and so John Files (of Sonata Marketing) and Rob are not going to settle for any old cheap factory knocking them out!

Si

Oohh exciting indeed 😄

What model/colour are you getting ?

You are totally right about far eastern quality,these basses are absolutely spot on quality instruments & absolutely worth their price.

12 minutes ago, artisan said:

Oohh exciting indeed 😄

What model/colour are you getting ?

You are totally right about far eastern quality,these basses are absolutely spot on quality instruments & absolutely worth their price.

MVP4 in Shell Pink 🥰

Si

• Like 1

Yeah, and I think they may well pick up some business from Moollon, as the latter (as amazing as they are, I'm lucky to have one) have been hit by pandemic delays and waits on new builds are sitting at 1-2 years I think.

Si

On 10/07/2021 at 12:02, Geek99 said:

Gulp …. Umm no.

Thats the bit Im trying to get my head around. Can you not pick up a MIA Fender for about that (certainly some second hand you deffo can) - doesn't compute. Looks like a nice bass though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nibody said:

Thats the bit Im trying to get my head around. Can you not pick up a MIA Fender for about that (certainly some second hand you deffo can) - doesn't compute. Looks like a nice bass though.

Ah but it is a lot better bass than an MIA Fender.

Massively better quality all round & a very nice roast maple neck.

I don't get the bias just because of where it's made,my Dingwall Combustion was made in China & that is fantastic quality.

Sadowsky Metroline made in Japan which is the far East,people pay much more for one of those & you couldn't possibly say they are lower quality than a MIA Fender.

Edited by artisan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, artisan said:

Ah but it is a lot better bass than an MIA Fender.

Massively better quality all round & a very nice roast maple neck.

I don't get the bias just because of where it's made,my Dingwall Combustion was made in China & that is fantastic quality.

Sadowsky Metroline made in Japan which is the far East,people pay much more for one of those & you couldn't possibly say they are lower quality than a MIA Fender.

I know some of the above basses are hand made (which doesn't necessarily mean better) but they are still just simple Fender bass copies.

Didn’t even clock where it was made to be fair. Was genuinely interested as you described Fenders as overpriced then  bought a Fender inspired bass for in effect the price of a Fender. As I said it looks decent.

• Like 1

No-one said these were inherently bad because they're not MIA.  Seems like defending them before they needed to be defended.

I think they look good.  My beef with the price is that it'll drop off a cliff in the second hand market, because it's not a Fender.  It doesn't matter where it's from.  It could be the best P bass Fender never made - that won't matter a jot to a predimonantly ill-informed marketplace.  Because of this, and because I can't be trusted not to get bored/distracted and sell basses on, I would never consider buying this bass.

But I hope that they work out for you, that you never sell them and enjoy playing them for a long time.

• Like 2