Why become a member? ×

Ashly PQX 571 - 7 Band Analogue Mono Parametric Equaliser SOLD
£180
Fife, Scotland

Jif

Ashly PQX 571 - 7 Band Analogue Mono Parametric Equaliser. Condition is "Used". This unit has been configured internally for 240v operation and is fully operational for UK use. I've fitted it with an inline female kettle socket, so a standard kettle plug lead plugs into it, (supplied). I have been using this unit for 5 years on a constant basis with no problems, very clean signal path & extremely versatile parametric controls.

The Ashly PQX 571 features balanced input & output but can be used with unbalanced input & output.

Ashly products are high quality US made devices.

Price £180 + £10 P&P, now £150.

From Sound on Sound Review

• The PQX 571 is rather generous in the amount of EQ control provided; each channel has five independent parametric filters, plus two variable‑frequency shelving filters (one high‑pass and one low‑pass). Each filter section has its own bypass button with status LED, and there's also a master level control and master EQ In/Out button at the right of the front panel. A practical touch is the inclusion of a clip LED next to the master Level control, which comes on if any of the filter sections are being driven close to the point of clipping.
  • The high‑ and low‑pass sections appear to be 6dB/octave filters, and operate over the ranges 40Hz to 400Hz and 1.6kHz to 16kHz respectively. A dual concentric knob system is used where the inner knob alters the cut or boost (+/‑15dB) and the outer knob adjusts the shelving frequency.
  • All five parametric sections are identical, and all cover the frequency range 20Hz to 20kHz, though there is a x10 Range button which effectively provides two ranges: 20Hz to 2kHz and 200Hz to 20kHz. As with the shelving filters, a dual‑concentric knob system is used, this time to control the frequency and the bandwidth. The Bandwidth control covers the range 0.05 octaves to 3.3 octaves, and is calibrated in octaves rather than Q values, which makes it more intuitive to use. A separate Level control is used to set the degree of cut or boost within a +/‑15dB range. When an EQ section is switched in, a green LED comes on to provide visual confirmation.
  • Technically, the PQX 571 is pretty conventional, using state‑variable filters based around the 4558 op‑amp chip for each of the parametric sections. The same op‑amp is used for the shelving filters and for the electronic input balancing. All the circuitry is run from 18V rather than the more usual 15V, presumably to make the best use of the available headroom, and the general standard of design is up to the quality you'd expect from Ashly.

Back Conn All.jpg

Back IP Conn.jpg

Back OP Conn.jpg

Back.jpg

Front 1.jpg

Para 1.jpg

Para 2.jpg

Para 6.jpg

Para 7.jpg

Edited by Jif
Price drop
  • Like 2

Yes it is! Maybe a bit over the top for some peoples needs but I have read that some have used this unit to set up two separate tone settings as each parametric can be switched in or out individually, i.e. you can set up 2 parametrics to have a specific tone & the other 3 to set up a different tone, switching in the relevant parametrics as required.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Jif changed the title to Ashly PQX 571 - 7 Band Analogue Mono Parametric Equaliser Reduced to £165
On 12/07/2021 at 00:14, itu said:

One special parametric, there are not many with this many bands. One to four bands is far more common, this has to be extremely powerful.

I owned four of them at one time, they were about the best thing going for monitor EQ for many many years. All four are still in the monitor rack of the club I used to mix in, going strong several days a week a good 15+ years later. The first one lived in my bass guitar rack for quite a while before that and was great for that purpose.

• Like 1

Yeah, great units, very clean signal path. Probably more geared towards PA use but if you really want to tweak an instruments tone it does the job beautifully. I mainly used it for Pedal Steel Guitar but I have come across many posts in Bass forums where they have been popular for advanced tone tweaking.

The reason I'm selling is I recently bought a BSS Varicurve FCS - 926 digitally controlled analogue parametric. It has 6 band stereo or 12 band mono parametric full eq with a screen display of the frequency curve.

it has been great for experimentation as it has 50 odd user presets but still uses analogue filters under digital control. Again more of a PA device but brilliant for advanced tone tweaking. Having the digital presets means I can set up settings for multiple instruments including bass & guitar in addition to Pedal Steel.

Pedal Steel is notoriously difficult to get a constant tone over all strings at all positions on the neck. I play a 12 stringer which complicates this further. The Ashly did a great job for this but having the presets on the Varicurve expands the possibilities.

Edited by Jif
Style

• 2 weeks later...
  • Jif changed the title to Ashly PQX 571 - 7 Band Analogue Mono Parametric Equaliser SOLD