Why become a member? ×

Sansamp BDDI settings.

Cliff Edge

7 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

You never mentioned what you were using the pedal with. Into an amp, mixer etc?

Sure I did. ''All over the place'', meaning you name a signal path and I've done it. It's the Swiss Army knife of bass 'preamps' in a pretty small box complete with DI. Bass Driver DI. Geddit?

My main use these days is on unknown soundcrews:

''Here's your DI''.

''Mind if I take it from here pointing BDDI ?".

''Sure''.

Someone advised the OP a BDDI can be EQ'd flat with the old trim lows and highs. That's incorrect. There remains a lacking in the upper mids, which doesn't work for me. I didn't say a BDDI is unusable or a crappy design or anything like that.

We're not here sorting me out.

It can be dialed in flat. You need to turn the Blend off. It sort of defeats the point of the product. I was trying to figure out if you didn't like the sound of it when using into an amp, into a mixer or both. This is why I suggested you might like some of our other DI's. The VT Bass DI can be dialed in pretty close to flat with the Blend up as long as you are using fairly low Drive settings.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

It can be dialed in flat. You need to turn the Blend off. It sort of defeats the point of the product. I was trying to figure out if you didn't like the sound of it when using into an amp, into a mixer or both. This is why I suggested you might like some of our other DI's. The VT Bass DI can be dialed in pretty close to flat with the Blend up as long as you are using fairly low Drive settings.

We already went around this mulberry bush. It can't be dialed in flat if you are using the driver in Bass Driver DI. You do know what throwing out the baby with the bathwater means?

On 09/07/2021 at 06:54, Downunderwonder said:

A BDDI can never be EQ'd flat, always a cut in the upper mids even with both Bass and Treble cut. So when using one I always have another EQ in line.

This is why its a ‘thing’ IMO. This blanket statement is just not true. 

The V2 has a mid dial which allows the Mids to be independently adjusted. Thats also called a BDDI 😏

For those using it as a just a flat DI then it can be flat,  for those wanting to use it as an amp sim , why would you want it to (which we all agree on of course)

It doesnt have to be used as an amp sim though. 

Edited by dave_bass5

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

We already went around this mulberry bush. It can't be dialed in flat if you are using the driver in Bass Driver DI. You do know what throwing out the baby with the bathwater means?

What does Tech21NYC know about the SansAmp anyway

• Haha 2

Funny, I've tested some of these units myself and both versions can be set flat. I'm not sure what else to say. The pedal in bypass mode is flat and when engaged with all controls at Noon and with the Blend off is flat. Once you get into the realm of tube amp emulation "flat response" becomes a moot point. SVT's aren't known for being flat response amps. People dial them in and drive them into distortion because they sound great that way.

We make products that produce intentional distortion. The very definition of distortion contradicts flat response in an audio signal path. We've sold thousands of these over the years and players use them in all sorts of ways with great results. If it's not the product for you and you don't like our other offerings that's cool.

• Like 2

"If you use the blend, amp sim and the distortion then you can't dial the unit flat with the eq controls."

"You CAN dial the unit in flat, just not if you're using the blend, amp sim or the distortion."

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

Funny, I've tested some of these units myself and both versions can be set flat. I'm not sure what else to say. The pedal in bypass mode is flat and when engaged with all controls at Noon and with the Blend off is flat. Once you get into the realm of tube amp emulation "flat response" becomes a moot point. SVT's aren't known for being flat response amps. People dial them in and drive them into distortion because they sound great that way.

We make products that produce intentional distortion. The very definition of distortion contradicts flat response in an audio signal path. We've sold thousands of these over the years and players use them in all sorts of ways with great results. If it's not the product for you and you don't like our other offerings that's cool.

Do you think I would be using and recommending a BDDI if the tube emulation wasn't for me? It does need extra mids put back in though and simply cutting bass and treble doesn't quite do it for me.

So the answer to ''what pedal goes well with a BDDI?''  is still ''an EQ''.

I did find the BDDI reduced mids but suppose that's the nature of the tone its aimed at giving but I ended up adding an eq pedal. 

I guess the para driver is the answer for those that want more mid control, EQ for mids and a mid shift:

Screenshot_20210717-072614_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SumOne

3 hours ago, SumOne said:

I did find the BDDI reduced mids but suppose that's the nature of the tone its aimed at giving but I ended up adding an eq pedal. 

I guess the para driver is the answer for those that want more mid control, EQ for mids and a mid shift:

Screenshot_20210717-072614_Chrome.jpg

Completely agree, one of my favourite boards was based around a Paradriver V2. Those of you worried about the mid-suck on the BDDI, know that the V2 units have less of a scoop, and the Paradriver has less too. The Paradriver V2 is predictably the best all-round. :)

IMG_20190813_220105.thumb.jpg.577146931f4f5b962f2c1b8af2fce60b.jpg

I’ve had the v1 and v2 Paradrivers. Fantastic boxes and much better for EQ, but I always went back to my BDDI. I just felt it had the character i wanted. 
It didn’t help that I also had a Q/Strip when I got the V2 Paradriver. Thinking it could be a good middle ground between the other two.

Edited by dave_bass5

Well I’ve just played my first gig with a v2 BDDI and I bloody loved it. Just the right amount of old skool breakup when I dug in, otherwise just a fuller fatter tone akin to a nicely warmed up valve amp. Can’t see me switching it off anytime soon. 

• Like 2

Thinking back I've pretty much always had a sansamp pedal in one form as far back as I can remember.

Programmable BDDI

BDDI Deluxe

VT Deluxe

Fly Rig

SH-1

For the past 2/3 years now I've had the BDDI v2 and probably won't ever not use it, unless they make a v3 with something new?! 

Anyway.

My setting.

VOL - 9 o clock, Gain around 10/11 for a slight warmth (tally with vol for unity gain.)

Blend on Full, Treble at 3 o clock, presence 1 / 2 o clock

Mids (500) at 3, bass (80) at around 1 / 2.

Last in the chain, just makes everything sound alive. 

• Like 2