Why become a member? ×

Paul Simonon's bass inducted into Museum of London

TheGreek

Take note Dad3353 🤤

Smith recalled Simonon being in a “really bad mood” during the gig which was not like him. He later said it was an emotional response to an audience sitting in their seats and not moving.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ubit said:

Take note Dad3353 🤤

Smith recalled Simonon being in a “really bad mood” during the gig which was not like him. He later said it was an emotional response to an audience sitting in their seats and not moving.

To give the quote more context. The audience wasn't being allowed to move around by security, this is what frustrated Paul, and the cause of him smashing the bass.

15 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

To give the quote more context. The audience wasn't being allowed to move around by security, this is what frustrated Paul, and the cause of him smashing the bass.

It's a reference from the "Singers who don't understand how music works" post about how we got into music to enjoy the thrill of a crowd enjoying themselves. Just a tongue in cheek addition.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ubit said:

It's a reference from the "Singers who don't understand how music works" post about how we got into music to enjoy the thrill of a crowd enjoying themselves. Just a tongue in cheek addition.

We have a volunteer group of 'tut-tutters' who take care of anyone daring to express wild emotions by gesture or vocally. It'd also take a lot of 'really bad mood' to get Our Youngest (on bass...) to even raise an eyebrow, let alone the bass. As he's playing my bass (fretless sixer...), I'd not be best pleased to have it dislocated in a fit of pique. ¬¬

xD

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Richard R said:

That,  and because we're sensible, hard working and dilligent musicians, not  attention-seaking lead guitarists 😎

Excuse me! I'll have you know that I am an extremely attention seeking bass player!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Pinball said:

Here's why so few bass players smash their instruments...it's hard work

If I were going to do that, which I never would, I'd get a luthier (or at least a guitar tech) to preprepare a bass for easy smashing. Maybe even with a few hinges so it's not really broke but just unhinged and easily folds back together like a Transformer.