Why become a member? ×

A must hear for all bass players

Thought as BCers you'd be interested in this from Rick Beato's channel. I first came across NHOP via Joe Pass albums as I was learning jazz guitar at the time.  NHOP was a phenomenal player. Even if you're not familiar with jazz I'd also say NHOP is someone any bass player in any genre HAS to check out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Thought as BCers you'd be interested in this from Rick Beato's channel. I first came across NHOP via Joe Pass albums as I was learning jazz guitar at the time.  NHOP was a phenomenal player. Even if you're not familiar with jazz I'd also say NHOP is someone any bass player in any genre HAS to check out. 

I'm very happy Rick made this video. I don't think NHOP gets anywhere near the credit he deserves in the bass community. 

In addition to his unparalleled technique, he was also the most lyrical and expressive player. My elderly tablet doesn't allow me to post a link to Jeg gik mig id en sommerdag from "the eternal traveller" album, but it is a thing of beauty.

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'm a bit surprised. 330 views and only 6 posts. This being a bass community I'd have expected more interest seeing as NHOP's playing is staggering fast and clean and much harder to do on an upright rather than a B/G

Astounding technique, but 'niche', even in the shallow pool of DB players. Impressive, and kudos , but if I was to call on a player, I'd call Danny Thompson over NHOP, just for the sheer tasteful class. Impressive, but overkill, and I wouldn't listen to a whole evening of it. Pentangle, on the other hand... B|

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Astounding technique, but 'niche', even in the shallow pool of DB players. Impressive, and kudos , but if I was to call on a player, I'd call Danny Thompson over NHOP, just for the sheer tasteful class. Impressive, but overkill, and I wouldn't listen to a whole evening of it. Pentangle, on the other hand... B|

As soon as I told one person I was learning DB I got offered 3 gigs. I’d love to learn how it groove like that, but easier to play simple, tasteful and elegant lines like DT. Pays more too!

• Like 1

My early excursions with Double Bass meant I was listening to a lot of NHOP (and Ray Brown). Loved Niels playing although, I preferred Ray Brown's tone and Swing.

Of course, both very different players in technique and style.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, lowdown said:

My early excursions with Double Bass meant I was listening to a lot to NHOP (and Ray Brown). Loved Niels playing although, I preferred Ray Brown's tone and Swing.

Of course, both very different players in technique and style.

Both incredible players, but I'm going to agree with you entirely here.

• Like 1

Grew up with all this. Always thought he was a great player. 

I was listening to him probably a decade before I started playing and even longer before I’d heard of guys like Jaco and Stanley. 

Edited by 4000

They both look good to me and certainly get requests. 😉 

That said, even if Ray Brown is the original double bass player on this huge piece of music, the way NHOP is playing it is very interesting too and I tend to prefer it over the "original".

Maybe it's because I've listened to this Oscar Peterson album hundreds if not thousands of times. So it's a bit like a refreshing or rehearing of this very tune.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hellzero said:

They both look good to me and certainly get requests. 😉 

That said, even if Ray Brown is the original double bass player on this huge piece of music, the way NHOP is playing it is very interesting too and I tend to prefer it over the "original".

Maybe it's because I've listened to this Oscar Peterson album hundreds if not thousands of times. So it's a bit like a refreshing or rehearing of this very tune.

What I found interesting in the video I posted is not so much the note choices or feel, but their different physical approach. NHOP is very relaxed and smooth...Ray looks like he's grappling with a Bear...🤣

A transcription of Donna Lee...

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1