Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliot amp

Merton

Still intrigued for sure here as a long time TE enthusiast. 

I do like that the cab can be placed horizontally or vertically and that the badge rotates. Also the removable front cover enables the cab to be stored easily at the base of a pile of gear. If the build quality is high and the specs are good then that cabinet is going to be near the top of my list. If if is 4 ohm them yepp I am pairing that with my old Trace V6. It really does look like a 'proper' Trace Elliot cab built for the 21st century. 

I do like the amp too but I am fairly set for amps at the minute. I would have liked a 'drive' feature but honestly the TE amps were classically clean machines, so if the new amp manages to get in the ballpark of that kind of tone then Peavey will be on to a winner here. 

• Like 1

I will DEFINITELY be looking to try that head out. I've been saying for ages that I'd love a class D SMX and this looks pretty close. The dual band comp is back! Stick a graphic of some sort in the FX loop and it's almost there. But it probably (hopefully) wouldn't need it.

And it's got rack ears! woohoo :D 

Yes the 'TE-1200' looks crap but I reckon 5 minutes with some T-cut would get shot of that.

Not bothered about the cab TBH, swivelling badge or not. But that amp could be my game changer.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

Can't wait to try these beasties out. 

The cab looks great. Although I hope they come out with something else for those of us who don't need the full flightcase feature though, as I'm sure it's going to weigh a ton, and probably won't fit in the boot of a Fiesta. :) 

6 minutes ago, Russ said:

The cab looks great. Although I hope they come out with something else for those of us who don't need the full flightcase feature though, as I'm sure it's going to weigh a ton, and probably won't fit in the boot of a Fiesta. :) 

Yes, those wheels would suggest that this ain't no featherweight neo wonder. And for that reason... I'm oot.

• Haha 1

According to Fred from Peavey the cabs aren’t ridiculously heavy but not super light either. Rumour has it the 2x12 (still a short time off being officially released) is a sonic beast. I’m not really in the market for the cabs though.

The amp is on my “must try” list however, but at present there’s zero chance of me being able to afford it any time soon thanks to good old Eunice 😅

Edited by Merton
  • Like 3

Of course, there have been predictable whinges on farcebook...  "why do they keep trying to reinvent the wheel", "a proper Trace (what the hell is that?) has a UV light", "the classic interface is the original and best", ya de ya boo hoo. Generally the sort of people for whom time stopped in 1985.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rich said:

Of course, there have been predictable whinges on farcebook...  "why do they keep trying to reinvent the wheel", "a proper Trace (what the hell is that?) has a UV light", "the classic interface is the original and best", ya de ya boo hoo. Generally the sort of people for whom time stopped in 1985.

I've seen a few "made in China :( " type comments too. Daft.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Merton said:

I've seen a few "made in China :( " type comments too. Daft.

To keep folk happy they really should have included a bright box, 4x10 combo and a 2x10/1x15 'stack in a box' in the new product line, all covered with the classic 1990s 'rat fur'.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, thodrik said:

To keep folk happy they really should have included a bright box, 4x10 combo and a 2x10/1x15 'stack in a box' in the new product line, all covered with the classic 1990s 'rat fur'.

Whilst making them heavier than the sun of course...

• Haha 1

We've got a guitar shop near here that is a Peavey (and, by extension, Trace) dealer. I'm going to ask them when they're getting them in. I'll take my BF Big Twin II down to the shop for audition purposes. 

In an ideal world, I'd like to see them come out with a modernised take on the 1153/2103H cabs, with neo drivers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Of course, there have been predictable whinges on farcebook...  "why do they keep trying to reinvent the wheel", "a proper Trace (what the hell is that?) has a UV light", "the classic interface is the original and best", ya de ya boo hoo. Generally the sort of people for whom time stopped in 

Benchmarking against old trace stuff is pointless. This is a completely different amp from a completely different manufacturer. It's nice that they have said that they have tried to recreate the classic trace tone and I hope they were successful. I would probably prefer to buy an amp from a smaller company that built them in the uk purely because any issues could be resolved without involving distributors and that was a big draw for me when I bought a trace amp years ago. I still have a nice old trace head but I don't use amps live very often because silent stages suit my band so much better so I'm not in the market for a new one.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

Benchmarking against old trace stuff is pointless. This is a completely different amp from a completely different manufacturer. It's nice that they have said that they have tried to recreate the classic trace tone and I hope they were successful. I would probably prefer to buy an amp from a smaller company that built them in the uk purely because any issues could be resolved without involving distributors and that was a big draw for me when I bought a trace amp years ago. I still have a nice old trace head but I don't use amps live very often because silent stages suit my band so much better so I'm not in the market for a new one.

If you want a company that's UK-based and will fix your issues in the UK, then buy one of the UK-made Ashdowns.

Many of Ashdown's engineers (and Mark Gooday himself) originally came from Trace Elliot, and the recent Ashdown 12-Band head is effectively a modernised GP12. 

• Like 1

I thought that the original Peavey era cabs were significantly lighter than the older TE cabs, so if the new cabs are lighter than that then they should be fine. 

A well built 4x10 is generally going to weigh something. Anything around 55lb-65lbs or so would be reasonable considering the castors, metal grill and removable front cover will all add weight, so I wouldn't expect GR Bass/Barefaced etc weight expectations. Anything north of 70 lbs though is pushing it for being paired with a 'lightweight' amp though.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Anything north of 70 lbs though is pushing it for being paired with a 'lightweight' amp though.

Agreed. They need to be aiming for 50-55lbs tops, minus the cover.

Edited by Rich

23 hours ago, Russ said:

If you want a company that's UK-based and will fix your issues in the UK, then buy one of the UK-made Ashdowns.

Many of Ashdown's engineers (and Mark Gooday himself) originally came from Trace Elliot, and the recent Ashdown 12-Band head is effectively a modernised GP12. 

I just can't get on with Ashdown amps. I really wish I did but I just don't like the core sound and I don't like the EQ section. Pity because the customer service is excellent.

Edited by mrtcat