Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliot amp

Merton

The Peavey made Trace Elliot 2x8" cabs are some of the nicest I have ever owned. The Faitalpro speakers in there are simply amazing.
I also own the Elf head and the Transit-B pre. The Transit-B is all you will ever need to get that Trace Elliot tone you know from the SMX range, minus the tube section in the pre but with an added overdrive channel.

Peavey try to make great products when they throw the Trace Elliot label on and imho so far are doing a pretty damn good job!

Eagerly awaiting the specs of this new TE-1200 amp.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, DiMarco said:

The Peavey made Trace Elliot 2x8" cabs are some of the nicest I have ever owned. The Faitalpro speakers in there are simply amazing.

I've heard that from a few people. How loud do you find them to be? How far can one cab go before you need two? I appreciate that the correct answer to that question starts with  'it depends... ' but if you can shed any light on how they perform in different contexts I'd find it very helpful indeed - and I'm sure others would too :) Thanks!

13 minutes ago, funkydoug said:

I've heard that from a few people. How loud do you find them to be? How far can one cab go before you need two? I appreciate that the correct answer to that question starts with  'it depends... ' but if you can shed any light on how they perform in different contexts I'd find it very helpful indeed - and I'm sure others would too :) Thanks!

It's a rule of thumb that the Faitals put out low end equivalent to regular old 10'' bass speakers. So if a 210 would do the job you are good with one cab so long as the amp is powerful enough.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, funkydoug said:

I ordered two of those 2x8" cabs rightaway. In rehearsals they kept up fine with our loud drummer, a JCM900 + 4x12 and Dual Rectifier with 6x12 stacks. In fact I still had some headroom left. I am using the cabs with a TC RH750 amp, the Elf doesn't have enough watts available and compresses way too much when it has to be loud. Elfs are nice for home use though.

I chose to get two cabs after trying my luck with a Barefaced One10. My amp works better with a 4ohm load and any stories you hear about a single One10 OR a Trace Elliot 2x8 keeping up with a rock drummer are big and utter bullsh*t. They simply won't in any room that's larger than 10 square meters.

One piece of advice to everyone struggling to get enough volume from their small cabinet: Use acoustic coupling! This means cab on the floor for an extra few db in the bottom end. Back against a wall for another few db of free bottom end. On the floor in a corner for max bass output. This means you can dial back the bottom end on your amplifier, which in turn means your speaker won't have to work half as hard and can utilize the watts it is getting in more useful frequencies. TRY IT you will be amazed. NEVER place your speaker on a stand unless you're a guitarist.

Edited by DiMarco
typos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

update from Peavey on the other site

Super excited! That would the first test run on a live tour - and Doug is super happy....everything in that amp is brand new...with the exception of the multi-band compressor and Trace tone circuits. They will be in the world soon - as someone pointed out in that video there are new cabinets - I am probably more excited about those....we are waiting on the final versions to get through manufacturing! Can't wait for ya'll to hear what we've been working on for the past 3 years.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Did the Elf do a good job of doing the Trace thing…?

I used an Elf and two Barefaced 10s on Saturday in a medium sized venue and it did well, if about to run out of headroom. And the sound was Trace-y to my ears.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Did the Elf do a good job of doing the Trace thing…?

I don't think so - I was disappointed on so many levels - from the customer service to the lack of TEness. 

If I could get my money back , I would.

11 hours ago, BillyBass said:

My alter ego 'Git' on TalkBass (the name BillyBass was already taken) asked 'Fred from Peavey' some questions about the new amp and this was his reply:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/trace-elliot-elf.1264229/page-134#post-25478375

I'm looking forward to this.

He's at least confirmed that it's 1200W into 4 ohms (and not 2 ohms).

That is MONSTER!!! 

This could very easily become the new reggae bass poster child! 

• Like 1

Interesting that he’s said 1200W and I was told by Peavey last week that it was 1100W. 1200 makes more sense given the name.

*of course 1200W class D probably means it’ll “feel” like around 600W class AB. In my very humble, fully educated and intelligent opinion 😜

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Interesting that he’s said 1200W and I was told by Peavey last week that it was 1100W. 1200 makes more sense given the name.

*of course 1200W class D probably means it’ll “feel” like around 600W class AB. In my very humble, fully educated and intelligent opinion 😜

I'm surprised its into 4 ohms.  I assume it won't go down to 2 or 2.67 ohms, which is surprising as they will be competing with the likes of Bergantino, mesa Boogie and Gallien-Krueger, who all do amps of 800-1200 watts into 2 and 2.67 ohms.

Still, the TE 1200 through a super compact should mean 600 watts through the 8 ohm load so still lots to be excited about.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I'm surprised its into 4 ohms.  I assume it won't go down to 2 or 2.67 ohms, which is surprising as they will be competing with the likes of Bergantino, mesa Boogie and Gallien-Krueger, who all do amps of 800-1200 watts into 2 and 2.67 ohms.

Still, the TE 1200 through a super compact should mean 600 watts through the 8 ohm load so still lots to be excited about.

Not sure that the  2 or 2.67 ohms options are ones that many punters in TE's price bracket will be looking to make use of? There will of course be some (e.g. with two 4 ohm cabs), but I'm guessing for most of us a 4 or 8ohm load is what we're dealing with.

But the TE 1200 putting 600W through a BF SC or, in my case, a BF BB2 or Fearless F112 means that those rigs can now give you a fantastic compact rig solution with all the headroom you are likely to ever need in situations where there is no FOH or PA support. Colour me very interested! 

Anyone have any ideas on price point? If it's Peavey gear I would be expecting it to be pretty competitive (i.e. not at the Bergantino / Mesa end of the scale).

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

It does seem to restrict the amount of cabs that can be connected. Sure we can all use our ears to make sure that cabs aren’t struggling but I like to have my cabs at least equal to the power rating of the amp, just makes me feel that bit more comfortable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It does seem to restrict the amount of cabs that can be connected. Sure we can all use our ears to make sure that cabs aren’t struggling but I like to have my cabs at least equal to the power rating of the amp, just makes me feel that bit more comfortable.

Maybe the new Trace cabs will suit… hope they’re lightweight as (for me) a lighter cab is more importanterer than a light amp. What’s the point of a lightweight head if the cabs are heavier than the sun?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Not sure that the  2 or 2.67 ohms options are ones that many punters in TE's price bracket will be looking to make use of? There will of course be some (e.g. with two 4 ohm cabs), but I'm guessing for most of us a 4 or 8ohm load is what we're dealing with.

But the TE 1200 putting 600W through a BF SC or, in my case, a BF BB2 or Fearless F112 means that those rigs can now give you a fantastic compact rig solution with all the headroom you are likely to ever need in situations where there is no FOH or PA support. Colour me very interested! 

Anyone have any ideas on price point? If it's Peavey gear I would be expecting it to be pretty competitive (i.e. not at the Bergantino / Mesa end of the scale).

I have a couple of BF One10s and I sometimes think it would be nice to be able to add a third should the occasion require it, but its not a deal breaker, 1200 into 4 ohms...colour me interested too.

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

You still taking bets? 😁

well i wasn't technically wrong - it'll put out 500W or 800W if you turn the volume knob to the right place!

i'm a bit surprised they're going straight from 200W to 1200W, but amps are so small now that having one tiny amp and one normal-sized amp probably makes sense.

On 20/07/2021 at 23:57, Merton said:

Peavey quoted 1100 watts at 1% THD+ noise, it's entirely possible that it makes 1200 watts at some higher but still usable distortion figure.

Play feel is a whole other thing, not all of like the feel of "all" AB amps unreservedly. 😎

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...