Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliot amp

Merton

Yeah the cabs ... look very big and old school. I remember reading on TB somewhere from a Peavey  employee that Peavey knew (or at least thought) that no-one would ever pay a premium price for a Peavey cab no matter how amazing it was - the brand is just not seen as a high-end marque. Which is a shame, because they've made enough amps and cabs to know how to make them very well indeed, I'm certainly a fan. From that perspective it makes sense (for them) to use the TE label to access the higher end of the market.

They've done small with the ELF cabs. These cabs look like old TE / Peavey  cabs from at least a decade ago. I'm sure they will sound excellent - but may be too large and heavy for the tastes of younger players and the backs of older ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prowla said:

I've no issues with the company evolving

Yeah but not all evolution is great. Dinosaurs used to roam the earth, then they completely disappeared. We've now got useless animals that won't breed to survive, like pandas. 

2 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Yeah but not all evolution is great. Dinosaurs used to roam the earth, then they completely disappeared. We've now got useless animals that won't breed to survive, like pandas. 

...but also humans that play bass. And insects. Soooooo many insects.

Apparently we bass-players some of the finest creatures that have ever lived  Bass - Wins The War - General Discussion - Basschat 

😁

2 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

sadly we also have useless animals like Bungle Johnson who can't seem to stop breeding - so much so that it's now difficult to know to what extent he has been replicating his sociopathic DNA.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

sadly we also have useless animals like Bungle Johnson who can't seem to stop breeding - so much so that it's now difficult to know to what extent he has been replicating his sociopathic DNA.

Yawn.

Did any more information emerge about these new Trace Amps?

And despite the UK branding on the boxes I've seen on the Elf's are these all designed in the US and produced in the Far East?

I've never owned a trace rig, too big and heavy to consider these days but I've played through a couple of TE cabinets at rehearsal studios which were great.

Edited by PatrickJ
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Was he able to provide any insight into the what the "1200W" is i.e. at 4ohms? Peak vs RMS etc?

Didn’t actually ask as I figured they’d hold it a closely guarded secret until the launch. I can of course try ;)

Good to see the brand continued and with a new product that is likely to be taken more seriously than the Elf. I expect Peavey have done a decent job of developing this new amp in terms of power, features and reliability - maybe it's the start of a range?

I know my SMX and V4 are relics of the past - irrespective of how good I think they still are! I do wonder whether they'll ever do a new 'Trace Elliot' with the old features or whether that's just nostalgia and wishful thinking on my part..?

A new TE( Peavey)  high wattage amp was a long time coming. I suppose it was inevitable it would be class D and super portable/lightweight and boasting a ridiculous amount of (questionable) watts. It's the direction the bass amp world is heading these days amp wise. There's bound to be some cab action as well. A 2x10 /1x12/ 2x12/4x8 lightweight cab option might be on the cards as well. I prob won't be able to afford any of these new TE options but will view with great interest. If any new class D TE amp can replicate or even surpass the heft of my mid 80's AH250 I will be seriously impressed😁

6 hours ago, dangoose said:

A new TE( Peavey)  high wattage amp was a long time coming. I suppose it was inevitable it would be class D and super portable/lightweight and boasting a ridiculous amount of (questionable) watts. It's the direction the bass amp world is heading these days amp wise. There's bound to be some cab action as well. A 2x10 /1x12/ 2x12/4x8 lightweight cab option might be on the cards as well. I prob won't be able to afford any of these new TE options but will view with great interest. If any new class D TE amp can replicate or even surpass the heft of my mid 80's AH250 I will be seriously impressed😁

In reality I think the only people that would bring us anything close to the old TE sound is Ashdown. And I'm not sure they want to, or that there's a market beyond 3 or 4 of us on this site, who would buy one new. 

Reality makes me sad sometimes. 

• Like 4

yeah, look at an old SMX or Series 6 and then look at the ABM range:

1. Input gain 'visualiser' 
  2. choice of solid state or tube preamp
  3. compressor
  4. sophisticated eq
  5. big toroidal transformer
  6. form factor
  7. shape switch
  8. weight

TE approach to amp making is very much alive and well, they don't even try to pretend otherwise. If you really want the sound and reliability, go ABM ... if you can live without green paint that is!

Edited by funkydoug
  • Like 1

@Al Krow Peavey have said they’ll try to send me some specs later this week, if they’re allowed :)

EDIT: got some very basic info I’m allowed to share 🤘🏻

Weight: 11.5 lbs (5.22 kg)
Dimensions (H x W x D): 12.0”W x 12.0”D x 3.62”H (305mm x 305mm x 91.9mm) 
Protection: Over temperature, Over current, Clip limiting, Short circuit, DC output 
Power Output (THD+N 1%) Minimum load = 4 ohms Bridged output RMS Power, 4 Ohm load 1100W RMS Power, 8 Ohm load 835W 
Nominal Input Sensitivity: All EQ controls at 12:00, Compressors off, Shape off Gain at 12:00 = 1.4VRMS 
Gain Control Max, = 70mV RMS

(not sure why some has pasted with yellow highlighting!)
Edited by Merton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4