Why become a member? ×

New Trace Elliot amp

Merton

1200 watts sounds ridiculously powerful.

I wonder if in classic TE style it is actually be two separate 600 power sections with each power section assigned to a 'channel', either to be run in stereo or as a separate footswitchable  'clean' and 'dirty' channel?

13 minutes ago, thodrik said:

1200 watts sounds ridiculously powerful.

I wonder if in classic TE style it is actually be two separate 600 power sections with each power section assigned to a 'channel', either to be run in stereo or as a separate footswitchable  'clean' and 'dirty' channel?

Oooh now that would be quite the thing wouldn’t it!

Just now, Merton said:

Oooh now that would be quite the thing wouldn’t it!

I think it would be more practical than a 1200 watt mono amp for me. Surely a 600 watt should be more than loud enough for most purposes even if it is class D?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Remember the appalling reaction to Barefaced and their pedal?

If the product is badly thought out, designed or overpriced, we won't buy it.

Eh? I seem to recall that the reception of the Barefaced pedal was largely very positive... after all, it's effectively a COG pedal. The catalyst to the craziness in that thread came from the owner of Barefaced and stupid comments from somebody on Talkbass.

And to be fair, the packaging decisions was just beyond stupid. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Good question about whether TE has really disappeared without a trace? Some owners are better at letting their acquisitions thrive whilst others simply gut them private-equity style.

i'm happy to be wrong here, but my understanding is that Peavey didn't acquire TE, they just bought the name "Trace Elliot" (i.e., the trademark) after Gibson effectively wound up the company, laid off the workers and liquidated the assets.  so it's a really different situation to, say, Yamaha buying Ampeg or Korg buying Aguilar (or Gibson buying Mesa, which hopefully won't end the same way TE did...).

i'm sure the people inside Peavey working on the TE-branded products are good people and i'm sure everyone wants them to produce good products.  it's just a shame those products are tarred with the fake TE branding instead of being sold as Peavey, or some new Peavey bass brand - which was almost certainly the decision of some exec or marketing team, not the design/manufacturing side.

• Like 1

When Peavey bought TE they also took on Paul Stevens who was one of the Trace design engineers near the end of the Gibson era, so they did originally have some Trace dna.

Don’t think they do any more though haha

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

I think it would be more practical than a 1200 watt mono amp for me. Surely a 600 watt should be more than loud enough for most purposes even if it is class D?

Agree, and if it were to be 1200 mono there aren’t many cabs around capable of handling that so the potential of blown cabs.

My money is on 1200 RMS at 2ohms, 600w at 4ohms, 300w at 8ohms. That is more in keeping with Peaveys of old. 

As for the illuminated dials, I am guessing: gain, treble&bass, switchable shape, drive&blend, chorus and dual band comp. So, very much like the Transit preamp but with less control of the mids.

Very excited as a fan of both Peavey and Trace - I'd far rather speculate and second-guess this than the England team selection for the Euros :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Merton said:

When Peavey bought TE they also took on Paul Stevens who was one of the Trace design engineers near the end of the Gibson era, so they did originally have some Trace dna.

Don’t think they do any more though haha

Which is why Paul moved to Blackstar.

I was chatting to him at LBGS and he said he left because there was little commitment from Peavey to develop the TE brand.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Which is why Paul moved to Blackstar.

I was chatting to him at LBGS and he said he left because there was little commitment from Peavey to develop the TE brand.

Makes sense, they kept that original relaunched range going way too long when everyone else was going lightweight, then just closed it down completely for a few years. Don’t blame him in the slightest!

• Like 2

It's just one week ago that I was lamenting the lack of a bigger Elf, and bought an Orange Little Bass Thing to fill that need. Now Trace/Peavey have launched what looks like exactly what I wanted! 

I'll be gigging the LBT this weekend, so hopefully I won't be lusting after this new release.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I did like the look of these little combos when they came out, but they were a bit underpowered for full band rehearsal:

If they end up putting this new amp into a 1x10, colour me very interested! 

1200w into a single 10!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

It's just one week ago that I was lamenting the lack of a bigger Elf, and bought an Orange Little Bass Thing to fill that need. Now Trace/Peavey have launched what looks like exactly what I wanted! 

I'll be gigging the LBT this weekend, so hopefully I won't be lusting after this new release.

I did think of you after seeing it! Tbh if it has compression/drive/anything else you may still prefer the LBT for the simplicity you mentioned in your thread :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

1200w into a single 10!

Well if it's 300W at 8ohm then it will be "just" 300W into a 1x10, which will be plenty loud.

With the option of 600W at your finger tips, with an extension 8 ohm cab.

That works.

Besides, I wonder if it's 1200W peak (at 4 ohm) in which case more like 600W RMS?

And a Peavey watt is a proper watt. Just sayin'! 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BassmanPaul said:

300W into a single 10 with bass? I can foresee a blown driver in your future!! :(

Nah, it'll be just fine. Check this one out (which I've previously had):

P3110 | PROMETHEAN | AMPLIFIERS | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

Tbf if they offered it as a 1x12 similar to the Markbass CMD 121P but without the annoying tweeter hiss, even better!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1