Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF350/PF500/PF800/PF owners club

Guest BassAdder27

As over the years there has been so much press about Ampeg PF amps failing or cutting out I’ve started an owners club post for people who are using and enjoying their PF350, PF500 or PF800

Recently purchased ( 2021 model ) I’m liking the growl and warmth this PF500 gives. It sounds very nice with my Ashdown Pro Neo cabs too 

Under Yamaha ownership I’m hoping Ampeg have sorted their QC issues and the PF range become loved again 7EB9BD5A-F34F-45BC-B7DE-E988BA05456B.thumb.jpeg.6002af4f89e916625304c02cca6cdc35.jpeg

Edited by BassAdder27

Love Ampeg! The huge gain in quality control will ultimately mean a loss in character. Yamaha are so precise in their quality control and are second to no one! However, Yamaha manufacture their equipment to the nth degree of perfection and unfortunately for Ampeg in my opinion, will lose that ingrained character Ampeg has so readily on offer when you switch on an amp. Ampeg will though, through Yamaha, become an international powerhouse again.

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Are newly built ones reliable now?

It was only the first batch that were iffy... and to be fair they were shocking. Ampeg rectified the fault inside of about 6 months but they really shouldn't have gone out like that in the first place. I started using them around 2014 and they were all fine from there on in. I owned two and used a fair few in studios with no problems ever.

• Like 1

I was hesitant buying one, but it’s now 2021 and if you get a new one I’m confident it will be totally as reliable as any Class D amp

Sadly the past issues still plague this line of great amps and maybe that’s why Ampeg keep the prices affordable for the PF line 

27 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

It was only the first batch that were iffy... and to be fair they were shocking. Ampeg rectified the fault inside of about 6 months but they really shouldn't have gone out like that in the first place. I started using them around 2014 and they were all fine from there on in. I owned two and used a fair few in studios with no problems ever.

I think some of the failures were folk running the input gain very high ( distorted input ) which I think most amps would suffer if ran like that for hours 

• Like 1

I still have mine, bought new 9 years ago. Went wrong and was replaced and has been fine ever since. I love the sound but have since moved to Ashdown as I wanted to support a British company

But I still have the Ampeg in my practice room. It has done a lot of gigs under my ownership

Yep 2012 seems to be the era where many fell over and of course people sold them so the issues moved along for a few years later

The current ones have a new serial number format as part of the Yamaha QC changes 

Edited by BassAdder27

3 hours ago, andy67 said:

The huge gain in quality control will ultimately mean a loss in character. Yamaha are so precise in their quality control and are second to no one! However, Yamaha manufacture their equipment to the nth degree of perfection and unfortunately for Ampeg in my opinion, will lose that ingrained character Ampeg has so readily on offer when you switch on an amp.

the new Ampeg Rocket Bass combos launched under Yamaha ownership and (at least over on TB) seem to be fairly well received, with "the Ampeg sound" intact.   Yamaha must surely be aware that that's a big part of why people buy their gear and wouldn't want to mess with that. 

also, please may i join your club!

20210707_135627977_iOS.thumb.jpg.d990f3221032f9df4c02df2490e944c7.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Sorry, I keep re-reading this, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't make sense. Design and quality control are two different things.

Making sure that the manufacture of Ampeg products is as reliable as possible won't change the sound. Altering the designs would, but buying out a classic and well loved brand to remove that which makes it valuable would be very poor business. Doesn't mean they won't do that- stranger things have happened- but making sure that as few faulty products leave the factory as possible won't damage the character of the designs.

If they're going to change anything, the Ampeg website could do with a spruce up! 😄

I’ve played Yamaha and Ampeg for around 35 years but to illustrate my point. In the 80s when I was growing up as a bass player, i played around 20 fender basses before choosing the right fit for me. This was because some were crap, some were mediocre and some were brilliant - in my view - this to me was individual character. Ampeg are exactly the same. As a 6 time owner of SVT 3pros, each had its own character from, US to Korean to Vietnamese to Chinese. However, of all the Yamaha basses I’ve owned, BB1600, BB424/425, BB714, BBG5, BB604, TRBX5, TRB5, Yamaha Attitude Se, LTD mk1 & mk2, they have all been exactly as specified and perfectly manufactured right down to the point where each lacked the individual character of old Fender basses of which, Yamaha copied beautifully. 😎🥳 And now that Yamaha own Ampeg, Ampeg equipment will be meticulously reproduced to ensure they are all of the same quality. I own my now 7th SVT-3pro and it’s perfect. The warranty supplied by Yamaha ensures my satisfaction. 

Edited by andy67
  • Like 2

On 07/07/2021 at 15:07, Witch Hazel said:

the new Ampeg Rocket Bass combos launched under Yamaha ownership and (at least over on TB) seem to be fairly well received, with "the Ampeg sound" intact.   Yamaha must surely be aware that that's a big part of why people buy their gear and wouldn't want to mess with that. 

also, please may i join your club!

20210707_135627977_iOS.thumb.jpg.d990f3221032f9df4c02df2490e944c7.jpg

Perfect fit for a vertical BF210?? Oh man, I almost made it out of the thread GAS-free!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

Really want to try these, but keep feeling like I want the preamp of the PF-20 and the power section of the PF-50.

What cab are you running with it?

I love my PF-50T. I did think about the 20T but decided I wanted the flexibility and eq options of the 50. I run for small gigs, my Hartke HD112 and for larger gigs, my Hartke AK410. Although, the HD112 is plenty for both. 👍

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just purchased my first Ampeg, a PF350 last month and thanks to Bassadder27, I found the date of manufacture to be this year 2022.

I use it with a Trace Elliot cab that has a new 15inch 4 ohm Celestion speaker, so getting the full wattage and I must say, the sound is brilliant and loving it.

Funny thing, I use a Yamaha BB734b that I got a few years back, so keeping it all in the Yamaha family lol lol.

Hope I qualify for membership !  

Edited by whamni
  • Like 1

I have a PF500 which I used faithfully for a good few years. Did about 200 gigs and has been totally reliable. Absolutely love it although its pretty old and beaten up now so its under the bed as a back up. I also used a PF50T recently to record an EP and fell in love with it so one of them is on my shopping list at some point.

Could I ask the group, is there a significant difference tonally between the 350 and the 500/800? I have the 350, have done for a couple of years as I wanted a gigable amp. I had used it at a few practices and it sounded...fine. better than what was in the studio (a very low bar). Finally got a gig where I needed to use my own amp (most places were house amps and I didn't want to make a fuss). When I had it set up and playing for the gig I was so underwhelmed. It just sounded flat and dull and not very loud. 

Important info - cab at gig was an ashdown (mag) 115 (8ohm). Have since traded that and got an ashdown 2x10, again 8 ohms. 

It has set me on an amp quest but am I being too hasty? Do I just need to get a cab that suits? Or go further up the line. I love the look and the size so if I can make it work I would be a loyal portaflexer!

Could have been the room you were in?  Don’t write it off based on one gig.  I did that with a bass, but we were playing a regular gig in a place with terrible acoustics.

I had my PF350 on a lovely stage in a great venue the other night (through a BF Two10) and had the first opportunity in about 4 or 5 years to turn it all the way up.  (P)F me, that was impressive!

Yeah I'm.wondering that. I've also had it at a few practices since and I wasn't happy. At the same time I may be clouded by that gig. It also may be the cabs. I've only ran it at 8 ohms and only with firstly a sub standard 1x15 and now a better quality 2x10. I've heard ampeg cabs make a difference has anyone else noticed this? Also would you say 350 class D watts is suitable for a loudish rock band in small/eventually medium gig scenarios?