Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Stingray 5 or Sterling Ray 35

SteveXFR

I bought myself a cheap SUB ray 5 a few weeks back to see how I get on with it and use it for band duties. As it turns out, I really like it and could use a second 5 string so I'm not relying on one bass for band use. I was looking at the Sterling Ray 35 which is a bit over a grand but I've also realised I can get a full fat, US made Ernie Ball Stingray 5 from around 2005ish for similar money. 

Whatever I buy will be used for practice, gigs and recording so sound quality is the first priority. 

Is there much in it between these two models?

Shop around for a ray35, you'll find ones for 600-700 on reverb. There's one on here for £550ish! They are great instruments, I have a ray34 and it grunts, growls and sparkles like the stingray 4. You'll be lucky to get a SR5 under a grand. Only positive in full fat is resale 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, horrorshowbass said:

Shop around for a ray35, you'll find ones for 600-700 on reverb. There's one on here for £550ish! They are great instruments, I have a ray34 and it grunts, growls and sparkles like the stingray 4. You'll be lucky to get a SR5 under a grand. Only positive in full fat is resale 

Glad your enjoying the Ray34!
I have to agree. This was my old bass and It was the one I always picked up to practice at home even when I bought a US Ray.

I can’t give you an accurate comparison in sound as my US Ray was a 2 band but I bought the Ray34 in a music shop and tried out a (Sterling) Sub4, Ray34 and a US Ray on the same day. I remember being really pleased with all of them. The Sub didn’t quite have the punch nor build quality of the US Ray, but for its price point was a good instrument. When it came to the Ray34 and the US Ray that gap narrowed considerably. 

I’m sure the Ray35 will be equally as good and second hand they are really great value. Around the price point of MIM Fender but far better instruments IMO.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Glad your enjoying the Ray34!
I have to agree. This was my old bass and It was the one I always picked up to practice at home even when I bought a US Ray.

I can’t give you an accurate comparison in sound as my US Ray was a 2 band but I bought the Ray34 in a music shop and tried out a (Sterling) Sub4, Ray34 and a US Ray on the same day. I remember being really pleased with all of them. The Sub didn’t quite have the punch nor build quality of the US Ray, but for its price point was a good instrument. When it came to the Ray34 and the US Ray that gap narrowed considerably. 

I’m sure the Ray35 will be equally as good and second hand they are really great value. Around the price point of MIM Fender but far better instruments IMO.

@tegs07 I love it!! 

The 34/35 has different preamp to the sub ray4 etc. To my ears sounds like a stingray. All I want now is another one!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I did wonder whether that might be the case. I'll have a look at used Ray35's

Hey Steve

Glad to hear you're enjoying the SUB. There's a Ray35 just up the road from me...not sure if it's well priced or not.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/great-offer-music-man-sterling-ray35-bass-/1378832084

36 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Hey Steve

Glad to hear you're enjoying the SUB. There's a Ray35 just up the road from me...not sure if it's well priced or not.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/great-offer-music-man-sterling-ray35-bass-/1378832084

Hi. Yep, really like the SUB. I've fitted a Darkglass preamp which has changed the eq to three band and allowed me to boost the mids. I'm using the 5 string for band stuff so I could really use a second one.

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Hey Steve

@TheGreek thats a good price

Funny thing is the SUB 4 has a nicer neck, 38mm nut so if you stuck a 34 preamp (£150) in it you'd have a great bass too!

Thanks

Can’t stand the bridge plate on the Ray4/Ray5. looks terrible imo. great basses otherwise!

I’ve owned three full fat USA Stingray 5s and three Sterling Ray 35s. Love the USA ones, the oil/wax finish on the neck and a ton of other stuff about them but when I switched to the offshore ones I didn’t really feel I was missing out on anything at all. If I had another I’d want the roasted maple neck with the satin finish and then strip the finish on the back of the neck. 

There’s also the older Ray 34/5 CA (Classic active) and the newer Ray 24/5 with the 2 band EQ and regular oval MM pickguard too. 
I owned a Ray34CA with the Jazz profile neck for a couple of years and thought the quality of fit and finish was superb on that particular bass. 

Keir

7 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

Can’t stand the bridge plate on the Ray4/Ray5. looks terrible imo. great basses otherwise!

I’ve owned three full fat USA Stingray 5s and three Sterling Ray 35s. Love the USA ones, the oil/wax finish on the neck and a ton of other stuff about them but when I switched to the offshore ones I didn’t really feel I was missing out on anything at all. If I had another I’d want the roasted maple neck with the satin finish and then strip the finish on the back of the neck. 

There’s also the older Ray 34/5 CA (Classic active) and the newer Ray 24/5 with the 2 band EQ and regular oval MM pickguard too. 
I owned a Ray34CA with the Jazz profile neck for a couple of years and thought the quality of fit and finish was superb on that particular bass. 

Keir

Keir 

Would be interested in trying the ray34 CA, didn't know there was a jazz neck version!! 

Yeah I can't justify USA prices when I can get USA tone from ray34

iirc the Ray34CA all had 1.5”/38mm nut width and so do the Ray 24 basses. If you can find a 34CA get it. You won’t regret it. I only sold mine to help fund a rather lovely Jazz bass but I miss it and preferred it to the USA Classic StingRay. 

I've owned 2 Stingray5s since forever (old ceramic 3 coil pickup) and a couple years ago I gave a used Ray35 I found a try. The asking price for those used around here is ~600€. I'd never get a new one when 1100€ can get you a 2nd. hand USA EBMM. If I were to do it today I would go SUB all the way (and swap the preamp -lack of headroom is their only endemic problem-). My Ray35 (black, mahogany according to specs) was HEAVY, heavier than any of my USA Rays. I'd only recommend the "high end" SBMMs if you found them cheap used. Only thing calling my attention these days from SBMM are SUBs (the HH 5er). I know I could put a 20€ Artec preamp (only real problem) on any SUB and have a bass that isn't that far below in VALUE from a "high end" SBMM as the price difference would suggest.

Edited by andruca

You won't regret a Sterling Ray 5 . I have a stripped down Jackson Concert 5 for a tame passive sound. I have a Warwick Corvette 5 for a "hot" biting tone. The Ray 5 can do both sounds. Mine is a nice piece of wood too.(can't find a picture) The Jackson did not sound very good with the stock pickups and preamp. It does balance well and stay in tune. The Warwick balances well on a strap and is even heavier than the Ray 5. 

DSCN2855.JPG

DSCN3626.JPG

Edited by grenadillabama
add picture

11 hours ago, grenadillabama said:

The one pictured is an Indonesian Sterling Ray 5 . A USA version costs more than twice as much .

DSCN3169.JPG

Sorry, that was supposed to be directed at the OP. Probably shouldn't have posed it as a question!