Why become a member? ×

Hotone Ampero One

Munurmunuh

(The original title of this thread was Can't remember the name of particular multi effects unit, help!)

The user interface on my Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live is so obscure I literally do nothing more than occasionally turn the treble knob a bit. 

However, as it sits between my bass and the Yamaha studio monitor, its amp/cab sims are essential for my practice set up.

A couple of months ago I was looking at the website of a small unit that had a nice big display on which you construct a chain of effects and sims. The website was very sleek, I remember that....

Unfortunately I can't remember the name, and Google searching is getting me nowhere. 

I think the price was around £300, and it was much smaller than my huge Line 6. I can't remember if it was a pedal, or more of a desk top box. Probably the latter. 

I'm not in need of huge choice, just amp + cab sim, plus oh I dunno, distortion, compression and reverb, but I desperately want a user interface that doesn't feel like trying to launch a ICBM with a Vic 20. 

Edited by Ricky Rioli

52 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

That's the one, thank you!

The Headrush Gigboard is very similar, but £200+ more. 

Right, time to do lots of reading :)

I've got one of these and love it, great for quite practice with headphones and sounds excellent when played through a Headrush FRFR108 speaker as well, let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to help :) 

John  😎 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Naigewron said:

Hotone Ampero One? Price and features sounds about right. It's got a touch screen too.

https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/multi-effects/ampero-one

image.png.18326d30e1c73e12833cb28e9c2e91c8.png

If you skip to 7'25" of this Anderton's advertorial, you'll get 5 minutes of pretty clear demo of the user interface. It looks like it wouldn't be frustrating to program.

Edited by Ricky Rioli

I'd say there are less bass related stuff than guitar in the unit but there are enough bass related effects, amps & cabs to create new patches which I have done replacing some of the guitar user patches I won't be using so I have more choice. But a lot of the guitar patches are good for bass as well, the software editor is very useful as well, the touch screen is excellent and easy to use. A lot of these sort of units seem to be aimed at guitar players more than bassists IMHO but I love the Ampero One :D 

John  😎 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, madshadows said:

I'd say there are less bass related stuff than guitar in the unit but there are enough bass related effects, amps & cabs to create new patches which I have done replacing some of the guitar user patches I won't be using so I have more choice. But a lot of the guitar patches are good for bass as well, the software editor is very useful as well, the touch screen is excellent and easy to use. A lot of these sort of units seem to be aimed at guitar players more than bassists IMHO but I love the Ampero One :D 

John  😎 

Thank you this is all very encouraging, I feel very encouraged!

One thing I was wondering - I know there are a tonnes of presets - to make your own settings, do you have to delete / edit the presets, or is there a section of blank patches? I have an aversion to presets, I like a blank piece of paper.

On 07/07/2021 at 15:22, Ricky Rioli said:

Thank you this is all very encouraging, I feel very encouraged!

One thing I was wondering - I know there are a tonnes of presets - to make your own settings, do you have to delete / edit the presets, or is there a section of blank patches? I have an aversion to presets, I like a blank piece of paper.

There are 99 factory presets and 99 user presets, to start with the user presets are the same as the factory ones but you can change the user presets to how you prefer them to sound by changing effects, amps etc.

If you to want to set a preset back to the original setting you can overwrite it by going to the factory preset and save it again, so for example go to  factory preset F01-1 and save it and it will replace user preset P01-1, hope that makes sense !! ;) 😛 

John 😎 

46 minutes ago, madshadows said:

There are 99 factory presets and 99 user presets, to start with the user presets are the same as the factory ones but you can change the user presets to how you prefer them to sound by changing effects, amps etc.

If you to want to set a preset back to the original setting you can overwrite it by going to the factory preset and save it again, so for example go to  factory preset F01-1 and save it and it will replace user preset P01-1, hope that makes sense !! ;) 😛 

John 😎 

Yes, *you* made sense explaining it. 

I can imagine that if I were to get one, I would immediately make the first dozen user presets blank. Or as blank as they're allowed to be, and identical 

14 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I noticed that I could either spend a few more days umming and ahhing before buying it, or I could just buy it straight away. 

I'll have it start of next week 😊 

Hope you like it, if not you can return it I guess !! ;) 😛 

John 😎 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madshadows said:

Hope you like it, if not you can return it I guess !! ;) 😛 

John 😎 

I've now watched enough demos of the user interface in action to know that I will like it, thank you :)

I'm sure that I won't find a single sound in it that isn't already loitering within my Line6, but something inside me absolutely refuses to engage with the Line6's controls. 

Also the Line6 is massive: at 52×28 cm, it takes up 3.5 times the space the 28×15 cm Ampero will.

On 07/07/2021 at 14:52, madshadows said:

there are enough bass related effects, amps & cabs to create new patches

I've been looking at the bass options to work out where to start.

The Ampeg SVT seems the obvious choice of amp as a starting point. Searching around, it seems that the Ampeg 8×12 cab would be the correct pair for it?

For a more vintage sound, I guess I want the Vox AC-100. Reading up I saw that in the 60s this would be typically paired with a 2×15 cab....but the Ampero doesn't have any 2×15 choices. What would be the obvious choice to go with the AC-100 from that list? One of the modern 1x15? Or an older 2x12?

They've been threatening to release a Hotone Ampero Stomp mid 2021, to go head to head with the Helix Stomp and provide greater processing power and the additional benefit of parallel signal path and which the current Hotone Ampero range lack.

Will be a chunk more expensive than the model you're looking at though, and no sign of it yet! Covid plus global chip shortage maybe to blame for the delayed release. On my wish list for 2022!

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Unfortunately the sodding thing doesn't work. That'll be another hour and a half traipsing up to gear4music and back 🙄

That's a PITA. Sorry to hear that. Not a case of needing an input or output jack to power it up, is it just dead? 

Right, that's back at gear4music, who I'm very glad to say we're very happy to straightforwardly refund me – no attempt to force a replacement on me. Trying to phone or email their remote customer services is a pita but the staff in the showroom are universally lovely and helpful