Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Compact 8x5

Grewster

I have a couple of C4s and three of the older 4Bs (which uses the same drivers in a larger cabinet and sounds a little more old school than the C4). The C8 is effectively two C4s in one box. I like the PJB sound very much (as you can probably gather). However, there are a few things you need to be aware of if you have not used them. I would certainly suggest a test drive before buying.

They are not very efficient and take a bit of driving. You will need amplification with some power. The sound is very clean. It certainly isn't sterile and I wouldn't call it "hi-fi" as some do. I like the clarity, but it lacks that bloom (for want of a better term) that many traditional bass cabs seem to produce. Switching to PJB cabs can leave you feeling there is something missing until you become accustomed to the sound. For me, that missing something is colouration and mud, but if you play in a loud rock band, you may find the sound a bit too polite.

Related to that is that those 5" drivers, although they can shift a lot of air for their size, need to be used in multiples in any situation requiring volume. I use two cabs (which will be equivalent to the C8 you are looking at) with a 700w head for pubs/bars at average volumes and more for larger occasions. Two C4s and a decent tweeterless 12 (I use a Berg') makes a clean, compact powerful rig with good low end poke, plenty of clarity and none of that spiky quality most tweeters seem to produce.

Hope this is of some help.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

Thanks Dan - much appreciated! I have been using a PJB flightcase in rehearsals for a while and do love the sound ... just not quite enough for gigs. I have been looking for a Super Flightcase but can’t find one anywhere in the UK. so thought the C8 might do it powered by my Little Orange Bass Thing 500. Could be that I also go the 2xC4 route! Thanks again for taking the time.

• Like 3

Another big fan of Phil Jones equipment here.

I'd be inclined to go with 2 cabinets than one larger, but that's just a reflection of the practicalities of traveling to and from my shows (first floor flat etc etc).

If lugging one 26kg cabinet around as opposed to two 13kg cabs presents no problem then go for it.

I would imagine an Orange little bass thing through eight 5" Phil Jones speakers would sound wonderful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grewster said:

Thanks Dan - much appreciated! I have been using a PJB flightcase in rehearsals for a while and do love the sound ... just not quite enough for gigs. I have been looking for a Super Flightcase but can’t find one anywhere in the UK. so thought the C8 might do it powered by my Little Orange Bass Thing 500. Could be that I also go the 2xC4 route! Thanks again for taking the time.

A pleasure. As Woodwind says, several smaller cabs is easier to carry than a single larger one. It's worth looking at used gear to save some money. PJB stuff tends not to be bought by hooligans, so can often be picked up in very good condition. I had a flightcase (which was what led me to PJB stuff originally). I bought it mint from a jazzer, who had barely tickled it with his double bass. I loved the sound of it and used it for a time with an additional power amp and cabs for more volume. I sold it to help fund my current head (AG700).

• Like 1