Why become a member? ×

Orange Little Bass Thing

Guest BassAdder27

I've only had mine a few days, so haven't had a chance to turn the volume above two clicks yet - very punchy sound into a Super Compact. May well buy a second cab to get the best out of the amp.

I'll be gigging it next Saturday, so should have a better idea of what it's capable of.

Some good class d amps around now 

we are really spoilt for choice as bass players and so much kinder on the back 

No more lugging the SVT-CL and 610 cab to a pub gig !! 

Although I’m sure my SVT bass rig was nice I don’t feel my PF500 or RM800 are lacking in the tone dept 

Just now, BassAdder27 said:

How did it do at the gig ? 

Loud enough ? 

Very much so - it's not a loud band despite being a 6 piece - our two drummers play bongos and a Cajon. The LBT was at about 25% volume and about the same on compression (the compression has a significent effect on the volume), and it was just right. 

I'll be using it again next Friday with the same band and again on Saturday with my (louder) blues trio. If I run out of volume, my plan is to get a second Super Compact and run 2x12s at 4 ohm total.

4 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Would you say it’s louder than say the RM500 or PF500

Im finding my PF500 a bit underpowered I think 

It seems punchier than my RM 800, too long since I had the 500. Neither of them were run flat out, and nor is the LBT, but it does seem more immediate somehow. 

I have no idea what a PF500 is, sorry.

I’ve just ordered one to try out

I want to use it as an alternative to the RM800 at times and hope it’s a powerful 500W head 

The RM800 is super loud with loads of headroom and I’m interested if the LBT can show some thump too 

The Ampeg PF500 just seems underpowered for a 500w head 

Having had Ampeg PF500, Ashdown RM500 and Orange Bass Terror 500 I’d put them in that order for volume.
That said who knows if that’s because the pots are set up to look that way, I know Ashdown set theirs so the volume increases all the way round (so not cheating) to the end.
Who knows about the others but out of the three the PF500 although not quiet just didn’t seem “loud” even when it was sitting perfectly in the mix at the right volume, but then that’s an Ampeg thing imo, sitting perfectly in the mix with a Precision.

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Having had Ampeg PF500, Ashdown RM500 and Orange Bass Terror 500 I’d put them in that order for volume.
That said who knows if that’s because the pots are set up to look that way, I know Ashdown set theirs so the volume increases all the way round (so not cheating) to the end.
Who knows about the others but out of the three the PF500 although not quiet just didn’t seem “loud” even when it was sitting perfectly in the mix at the right volume, but then that’s an Ampeg thing imo, sitting perfectly in the mix with a Precision.

I think you’re right, while playing the PF500 doesn’t sound loud enough but when you listen back to a recording it’s well balanced. 

Looking forward to trying the LBT and see how it sounds with my PBass 

I've always been intrigued by the LBT since it came out. A store next to my house has one at a good price and I'm tempted. I have a couple of questions that you guys may have the answer:

1-The DI says "Post EQ and Volume". Does it mean that if I need to increase volume during a performance, the FOH will also receive this increase? I guess so, but I find it weird.

2-Does it have tubes? Having tubes is not a must for me (my current amp is an Ashdown RM that I love) but I read everywhere that it has tubes. But it doesn't have a gain knob, so I'm not sure if they are in the compressor part or if they are in the preamp. 

14 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I've always been intrigued by the LBT since it came out. A store next to my house has one at a good price and I'm tempted. I have a couple of questions that you guys may have the answer:

1-The DI says "Post EQ and Volume". Does it mean that if I need to increase volume during a performance, the FOH will also receive this increase? I guess so, but I find it weird.

2-Does it have tubes? Having tubes is not a must for me (my current amp is an Ashdown RM that I love) but I read everywhere that it has tubes. But it doesn't have a gain knob, so I'm not sure if they are in the compressor part or if they are in the preamp. 

It doesn’t have tubes ( the Terror Bass does have pre amp tubes ) 

Yep you’re right the DI is post volume, in reality I don’t think a small adjustment live would worry the FOH mix too much and that could be turned down slightly.

Im sure Orange have a valid reason to do this 

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

It doesn’t have tubes ( the Terror Bass does have pre amp tubes ) 

Yep you’re right the DI is post volume, in reality I don’t think a small adjustment live would worry the FOH mix too much and that could be turned down slightly.

Im sure Orange have a valid reason to do this 

It is advertised as a clean amp, but it is also advertised as an hybrid amp with tubes and I find it odd. I will have to try it myself because I've always liked Orange amps