Why become a member? ×

Used to be £100 and we’d strip out the Partridge transformers and sell them to the US. Used to do a roaring trade in old Sound City and Hiwatt amp spares in the early 2000s. Always found the SCs to be a poor relative of the Hiwatt DRs. Used to gig with a DR103 and two 4x12 cabs with another DR103 in reserve if needed. Absolute total and utter madness…

8 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Anything non-standard about it? Just curious.

Nothing that I can remember as non standard.  Didn't really know much about them at the time - pre internet etc.  Love gooey tube sound I do remember.

Pretty sure it is, or was,  still local to me - I've seen it surface on eBay a couple of times over the years - I recognised some of the wear and the marks on it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found one mouldering in an attic.

I gave it to my Brother-in-law, who is a guitarist, who paid £100 to get it back up and running.

It now sounds epic and nails that T-Rex sound to a T.

He now taunts me by sending me ebay adverts where they're up for sale at ridiculously high prices.

Edited by gjones

On 06/07/2021 at 19:42, bagsieblue said:

Great amp - I had one first proper amp.

Probably didn't realise how good it was at the time.

Someone stole it from the rehearsal space about 20 years ago.....

I wonder if that was the one that was stolen from our rehearsal space 50 years ago.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, gjones said:

I found one mouldering in an attic.

I gave it to my Brother-in-law, who is a guitarist, who paid £100 to get it back up and running.

It now sounds epic and nails that T-Rex sound to a T.

He now taunts me by sending me ebay adverts where they're up for sale at ridiculously high prices.

Borrow it off him.. Then flog it on evilbay.. ;)

• Like 1

Years ago I had a Mk3 200.  It was an absolute beast and is still to this day the ''one that got away''.  Ive had numerous Mk4's and to be honest, for bass, they are useless.  I bet the 150 sounds lovely with bass

• 11 months later...
On 05/07/2021 at 09:54, Jonathan kennedy said:

Hi folks 

I once had a sound city 150 and regret the day I sold it, is there any out there that may be looking for a new home thanks 

Hi Jonathan,  I have one that I may be looking to sell if you are interested?

• Confused 1

On 06/07/2021 at 18:30, Burns-bass said:

Always found the SCs to be a poor relative of the Hiwatt DRs

Made by the same company - David Reeves's Hylight Electronics. He had learned his craft working for Marconi and Mullard. Sadly no longer with us.

• 2 months later...
On 05/07/2021 at 09:54, Jonathan kennedy said:

Hi folks 

I once had a sound city 150 and regret the day I sold it, is there any out there that may be looking for a new home thanks 

Used to have the 120 valve head, 6 x EL34's as I recollect, like you really really regret letting it go, best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...