Why become a member? ×

Rick Laird R. I. P.

Bilbo

Original bassist with the legendary Mahavishnu Orchestra, Rick Laird has passed away following a long illness. I am told that, after MO, he got sick of poorly paid Jazz gigs and became a portrait photographer. He was aged 80. 

• Sad 5

Sad to hear of his passing. As is usual when a past fave dies I think back to the gig or gigs I saw him at.

Somehow in my teens  I was into the Mahavishnu Orchestra ( Possibly the influence of Melody Maker). I went to see them at Newcastle City Hall  c. early 70's and was astounded at their virtuosity: I had not really encountered bands who did not play exactly as their records before.... and they were loud! Even then (16 ish) I was into Bass and did not play it but appreciated how Rick held down the bottom end whilst the rest of them went off on 100 mph solos.

As usual I bought up all their past material as well as their current album Inner Mounting Flame. Sharing a house with a load of Leeds Music College students a year or so later, I proudly told them I had all the Johnny Mac stuff including 'Extra polation' ( my pronounciation).........! They put me right very quickly!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Somehow in my teens  I was into the Mahavishnu Orchestra ( Possibly the influence of Melody Maker). 

I bought ‘Between Nothingness and Eternity’ when it came out, on the strength of the cover, the exoticism of the title and band name.

As a 16 year old into Wishbone Ash, it was…hmm…a departure, shall we say. I listened to it until I liked it, a process of attrition, I imagine.

• Like 1