Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender Japan P-Bass 97-00’

Plusnine

Finally got my hands on this P-Bass I found on eBay a little while ago, one 6-hour trip to Gloucester and back and it’s sitting pretty in my house. 

Plays wonderfully, and the build quality is superb from what I can tell. The rosewood board is very rich and easy to play, which I was a little worried about having mostly played maple boards. 

It’s come with custom shop 62’ pickups pre-installed and a new set of Fender pots, so I’m unable to check the exact serial numbers, but it’s from around 97-00’ from what other BC’s have said in my previous thread. 

Only modification I’ve made is to switch out the black pickguard for this red tort one, which I rather like. I’m considering getting the pickup cover and ashtray but I’m still undecided…

Overall, very very happy! 

1530999A-1ACA-4CD5-996E-638C5C9AFA21.jpeg

CD7DAD7B-D0E2-47A4-9C42-1810F610A394.jpeg

4FE7E5DE-0AD7-4339-BC0C-A078F6DC76D8.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bloke_zero said:

Nice - I like the way the white has aged a little - makes a change from all the sunbursts!

Cheers! I’m a fan of it too. I was originally looking at a sunburst one, but this one called to me for some reason. It’s got just the right amount of ageing for me. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Plusnine said:

Cheers! I’m a fan of it too. I was originally looking at a sunburst one, but this one called to me for some reason. It’s got just the right amount of ageing for me. 

Aged white plus that red tort you've put on it is a real step up from standard sunburst, looks fantastic.

• Like 1

Just now, Steve Browning said:

Lovely bass and congratulations. You have a bass for life there. 

No surprise you're happy, you have noted the build quality. They're exceptional and I've not seen a bad one.

... and you got one of the rare ones with the ATL decal. 🙂

• Like 1

On 05/07/2021 at 00:50, Plusnine said:

Finally got my hands on this P-Bass I found on eBay a little while ago, one 6-hour trip to Gloucester and back and it’s sitting pretty in my house. 

Plays wonderfully, and the build quality is superb from what I can tell. The rosewood board is very rich and easy to play, which I was a little worried about having mostly played maple boards. 

It’s come with custom shop 62’ pickups pre-installed and a new set of Fender pots, so I’m unable to check the exact serial numbers, but it’s from around 97-00’ from what other BC’s have said in my previous thread. 

Only modification I’ve made is to switch out the black pickguard for this red tort one, which I rather like. I’m considering getting the pickup cover and ashtray but I’m still undecided…

Overall, very very happy! 

1530999A-1ACA-4CD5-996E-638C5C9AFA21.jpeg

CD7DAD7B-D0E2-47A4-9C42-1810F610A394.jpeg

4FE7E5DE-0AD7-4339-BC0C-A078F6DC76D8.jpeg

oooh tasty.. is it the PB-70 (70's Reissue)? Im guessing by the logo it is?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nibody said:

oooh tasty.. is it the PB-70 (70's Reissue)? Im guessing by the logo it is?

I’m not entirely sure actually! I tried to track down the exact model with the serial number but it was inconclusive, built sometime around 97-20’ though I believe? 

1 minute ago, Plusnine said:

I’m not entirely sure actually! I tried to track down the exact model with the serial number but it was inconclusive, built sometime around 97-20’ though I believe? 

Don't quote me but I think the US models have the larger backplate on the tuners and the domestic ones have a smaller back plate. More knowledgeable folk will doubtless be along.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Plusnine said:

If you pop the neck off it shoulf have it screen printed on the Heel - PB-70, PB-62 and I think PB-58 depending if its a 62/70's or 50's reissue. The logo on the headstock would suggest a PB-70 (it's the 70's style P bass logo). The normal MIJ fenders Ive seen that aren't re-issue models have all had logo's similair to the MIM ones currently out. Also all of the PB-70's I've seen have been either white or natural (maybe a black one).- theres a few white ones on Reverb at the moment.

The MIJ ones had the smaller "One size goes on everything" tuners (they also fitted them to the PB-62's - I had a PB-62 in Photoflame blue)whereas the USA made ones had the full size 70's style tuners (smaller baseplate revrese wind on the 50's and 60's I believe)

Either way its a nice bass!

Edited by Nibody
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nibody said:

If you pop the neck off it shoulf have it screen printed on the Heel - PB-70, PB-62 and I think PB-58 depending if its a 62/70's or 50's reissue. The logo on the headstock would suggest a PB-70 (it's the 70's style P bass logo). The normal MIJ fenders Ive seen that aren't re-issue models have all had logo's similair to the MIM ones currently out. Also all of the PB-70's I've seen have been either white or natural (maybe a black one).- theres a few white ones on Reverb at the moment.

The MIJ ones had the smaller "One size goes on everything" tuners (they also fitted them to the PB-62's - I had a PB-62 in Photoflame blue)whereas the USA made ones had the full size 70's style tuners (smaller baseplate revrese wind on the 50's and 60's I believe)

Either way its a nice bass!

Cheers! I’ll take a look when I restring it, currently deciding which flats to put on it. I’ve also never taken the neck off off anything, do I need to worry about tightening the screws too much etc when I put it back on? 

1 minute ago, Plusnine said:

Cheers! I’ll take a look when I restring it, currently deciding which flats to put on it. I’ve also never taken the neck off off anything, do I need to worry about tightening the screws too much etc when I put it back on? 

Just get them snug, comfortably hand tight (doesnt have to be like a vice!) - you dont want a screw snapping. Also look out for any shims that have been put in the neck pocket (small slithers of thin wood usually - though sometimes you find plastic or ever card!!) and make sure they are where they started from when you put it back on.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nibody said:

Just get them snug, comfortably hand tight (doesnt have to be like a vice!) - you dont want a screw snapping. Also look out for any shims that have been put in the neck pocket (small slithers of thin wood usually - though sometimes you find plastic or ever card!!) and make sure they are where they started from when you put it back on.

Thanks very much! I’ll give it a go and see what I can find 

• 2 weeks later...