Why become a member? ×

Fret tang nipping

benh

About to embark on the scary task of my first fret job. However, I've been trying to think of methods to "nip" the tangs of the frets. I'm aware there is a specific tool for the job, but they tend to be costly and mostly from outside the UK. Does anyone know of any alternative methods that may be worth trying?

If you mean end cutting then a tool like this can be found in good tool shops for far less.  Look for as flush an end cut as possible which will reduce subsequent filing work.   I would suggest getting ones with the longer handles rather than short.  Some fret wire can be very resistant (or I am weakening in old age lol).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170965706002?epid=1973069207&hash=item27ce59a512:g:gp4AAOSwNF1fZiSY

I have bought other bits of kit from Chris Alsop, all very useful and well thought out.

If you mean cutting the tang back for a bound edge or hidden frets this can be done with the tool (which now seem expensive) or with cutters and a file.  A Dremel or similar might work well for this as well, you would need to make some sort of clamp to hold the frets in while you did them.

Edited by 3below
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1