Why become a member? ×

P Bass - Bitsa (Newbie)

Gardenerben

Taken the plunge on my first bitsa build!

Was torn between selling a 70's Camel P bass or using the body as a base for a build as I thought it looked a bit special under the trans finish. Starting point was I probably have enough P-bass parts accumulated over the years to knock something together one way or another. I'd decide what level of refinement to take it too as it became clearer the level of finish time/patience meant I could achieve. First thoughts if things feel/look good are Natural body and a Status neck.

Stripped it down and had a sand of the body to see what we have, just taken to 120 grit at the moment and more work to do but not unhappy with it as a starting point. Pretty sure it's ash from the grain. Crazy how ideas then start to build! I do like the open pore finish on a couple of Sandberg's I've seen, also tempted with ebonizing. 

All good fun having a dream and play about.

PXL_20210704_065126863.jpg

PXL_20210704_064942549.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Really nice grain and it looks like a one piece body, similar to my Sandberg 🙂

Yes I was pleased with it being one piece. Although I guess there are pro's and con's either way. Making this up as I go along but trying to apply a little logic! I'd think that with multiple pieces in a body you get to eliminate any weakness with grain direction/pattern particularly around horns and obviously cherry picking smaller pieces of wood. I can't help think a single piece of wood would transfer vibrations & resonate more 'true' though. I've seen luthiers charge more for single piece bodies but don't know if this just because one large piece of suitable wood is harder to source.

Happy to be corrected and listen to others views on this? When I've asked around this area in the past I kind of get the general answer everything effects the sound but with so many variables seldom are two things the same.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gardenerben said:

Yes I was pleased with it being one piece. Although I guess there are pro's and con's either way.

I always like to see a one piece myself, being a carpenter and joiner, I don’t like to see the join, I wouldn’t know if it affects the sound, there’s been many discussions on that 😁, here’s my Sandberg , which has a satin finish 

010C5E5C-6457-49C0-9192-CB1D7F90AF5A.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Body taken to 600 grit, cavity painted with conductive shielding paint, first layer of tru oil applied.

Have read many different accounts on how many coats of tru oil people use. I'll try and be patient and see how far I get.

Latest plans looking like chrome hardware, hopefully a roasted maple neck and then pickguard dilemma's!!!

PXL_20210717_090326314.jpg

PXL_20210717_090152007.jpg

• Like 7

Wow!... Wood grain looks stunning! what a transformation! I'll be watching with interest.

Just about to start a P Bass build. I'm gonna go Danish oil... Chrome won the hardware toss...

Body and all the associated odds n sods ordered... Just got to finalise the neck... Thinking of a J 38mm Nut.

Keep us informed of progress...

... and anything but tort...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Lots of 'Basschat Love' for 'earlpilanz' over on the bay-of-dreams... From previouse threads he has done a few custom plates, particularly for non standard P's ala Harley Benton, by return of post using your original as a template, he then adds the new shape to his list for the furure... Also deals direct, worth mentioning Basschat.

I find tort to busy... I am colourblind, so probably don't see the complex of colours the same as others.

Real nice colour and patern on that body... Brown Pearl or Anodised Brush Gold? I would go for something plain and subtle to complement, and not to detract... Single Ply Cream would be my choice... But I'd be on to em to radius, bevel the top edge...rather than leaving it square (cept the neck pocket) Depends on what's your playing vibe...

Edited by PaulThePlug

More coats of Tru oil to go but had a play with some guards.

Parchment would probably be better than mint but it gives me a sort of idea. Not a particularly nice example of tort either!

Funny how I can admire others basses and think they look cracking for example with a perloid guard but know it's just not something I want. Same goes for gold hardware, can look killer but I just don't dig bling.

PXL_20210720_115244205.jpg

PXL_20210720_115120393.jpg

PXL_20210720_115312298.jpg

Edited by Gardenerben
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gardenerben said:

PXL_20210720_115312298.jpg

I like it, but I think it would look great with clear or a plain or pearloid, as long as it's not a neon/highlighter colour, that woodgrain will be the star and shine just fine.

25 minutes ago, Gardenerben said:

Much nicer tort that..

I agree, but the shade could be partly due to different lighting.