Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot and Barefaced

stewblack

Anyone else use this combination? I took my trusty Trace to a rehearsal today, sat it on top  of a Compact / Midget combination and put a Sandberg jazz into it.

It made me question all the other amps I claim to love. Theres really nothing like it. Heft, clank, thump and snarl. Every member of the band complimented me on the sound of the bass, but I know what they really liked.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Merton said:

I imagine it’s a similar marriage made in heaven to that of Ashdown and Barefaced. Certainly your description there sounds like tonal nirvana 🤘🏻😎

I had come to think of Ashdown / BF as my number one non valve option, but lord that sounded good today.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I've yet to find a cab that didn't sound great attached to a Trace Elliot.

Strangely I find Trace Elliot cabs to not sound that good when hooked up to TE amps. There seems to be a hi-mid spike/bias that is just like tinnitus to me, just can’t get rid of it. But TE amps with other cabs, excellent.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Matt P said:

i have a Trace GP11 AH250 and a pair of Midgets, but due to lockdown i've never actually tried them together!

Let us know how you go.

39 minutes ago, mep said:

My main rig is an Ashdown RM500 and BF Two10. I hsve bought a TE AH200 during lockdown and am keen to try it out.

Sounds excellent.

My Elf sounds pretty good through a Super Compact - I used it for a gig last week. I bought an Orange LBT this week and will be using at a gig next week as the Elf will probably be too small.

Other than the Elf, I haven't played a Trace Elliot since the early 80s when I had 4x10 combo that weighed a ton!

• Like 1

Ooh yes, yes, yes. I’ve used a variety of Trace heads through various BF cabs and they’ve all sounded immense.

The oldest head is a MKIV AH250 but the combination I’ve used most is an AH250 SMX with a Super 12 and then later a Super Twin. Great sound and dispersion but I’ve now moved on to the BF tens in the form of a Four10 and Two10. I prefer the coloured sound of the tens as it’s nearer the sound I have in my head. Haven’t been able to use these in anger over the past 2/3 years, but I’m very much looking forward to it when the time comes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

Oh good lord @DiMarco that looks immense.

When I tried to test how loud it goes in the local pub during soundcheck, the bar personel ran out ears covered and screaming.
That little stack is just insane.

And the Hexa sounds MASSIVE without any compression or whatever. Bass -> instrument lead -> Amp is all you need.
The amp has this warm but tight sound I can't seem to find anywhere else. I sold my Mesa Prodigy because of this amp it got outclassed bigtime.

• Like 2

Ive been using a gp12 smx for a while now with a two10, and I cant fault it. Recently been experimenting with a home made 2x10 and the two10 linked to a 70's peavey head because it can go down to 2ohms. But I'm going to get my local tec to put a switch in the back of the two10 so i can switch  the 4ohm to 12ohm and try the trace with it.

Tried out my AH200 lockdown purchase tonight along with my borrowed Marcus Miller Jazz. Bit let down by the really old strings but it did the business and sounded fine out front. I would need to try it with Stingray to see how it compares to my RM500EVOII.

20210710_230120.jpg