Why become a member? ×

Unpaid to Play?

These are still strange times and we need to adjust a bit, my old band were meant to be playing a gig and were told that due to social distancing etc they could only arrive at the venue 30mins before their set, and had to leave 30mins after it. As it’s a 4hr drive there and obviously another 4hrs back they had to turn it down as too knackering plus a great part of our income was selling merch. Just a reminder how gigging, even though it’s back, is far from normal/how it used to be, hopefully soon it will return to how it was but in the meantime adapt, speculate to accumulate might be how bands have to operate.

• Like 2

I know plenty of musicians/bands that would gladly go and play the opening of a cupboard door for nothing just as long as it was a gig, they got out for the night and had a laugh with their band mates. Whilst people are happy to do this then why wouldn’t a venue/festival/pop up bar put the feelers out for free bands.

I am the grumpy bugger who won’t leave the house for at least petrol money, food and drink thrown in, because whilst I enjoy playing, gigs are hard work, especially if there’s a big PA to set up and strip down, and I actually like being at home with my wife and kids, so I want to be compensated for not being there.

I can’t be annoyed by people who gig for nothing, it’s a hobby for the vast majority and you don’t get paid for playing football or golf at the weekend as far as I know.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, NJE said:

I know plenty of musicians/bands that would gladly go and play the opening of a cupboard door for nothing just as long as it was a gig, they got out for the night and had a laugh with their band mates. Whilst people are happy to do this then why wouldn’t a venue/festival/pop up bar put the feelers out for free bands.

I am the grumpy bugger who won’t leave the house for at least petrol money, food and drink thrown in, because whilst I enjoy playing, gigs are hard work, especially if there’s a big PA to set up and strip down, and I actually like being at home with my wife and kids, so I want to be compensated for not being there.

I can’t be annoyed by people who gig for nothing, it’s a hobby for the vast majority and you don’t get paid for playing football or golf at the weekend as far as I know.

You don’t play football or golf for other people’s entertainment! And the only service you might provide is to A&E…

Edited by Daz39
  • Like 2

The market has been undercut by musicians accepting unpaid gigs. There is now an expectation in the pub and events world that someone will play for free, it's just a case of asking around. Add to that the fact that the organiser would usually put cost before quality and you end up where we are now. 

Let's face it, no one wants to be playing top 40 or pub rock for nothing. It should be paid. However, organisers tend to see it as hobby and act like they're the ones doing you a favour by offering you a venue. 

The problem is further compounded by the fact that many 'professional' bands are utter crap and you have organisers wondering what they're paying for. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris2112 said:

The market has been undercut by musicians accepting unpaid gigs.

More accurately, the market comprises many elements, including "musicians accepting unpaid gigs".

Nobody has a God-given right to paid gigs, still less a God-given right to complain about musicians who play simply because they enjoy it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately the world and market place is changing and has changed. Opportunities to perform live were in decline even before COVID for a lot a lot of people. I feel very sorry for people who rely on income from this profession in all its forms.For me a weekend warrior for most of my life payment was a bonus as it made something I loved possible to enjoy doing ,and to be able to see other people enjoy appreciating or not what we offered up. As always our band had a choice if we played or not for the fee offered.But when someone turns professional that service offered is is subject to market forces.A lot of musicians have embraced technology.and learned home recording skills for probably a lot less investment than professional studios. But do we see that a betrayal of our fellow colleagues? I would dare to say not.The more popular something becomes the more we pay when that market becomes flooded with people offering the same service in a declining market we see what we see know. In the end it’s an easy choice for non professionals.For them that earn there living from music what was always a hard career choice has got harder and I wish you all the luck.When it comes to plying for free I would be happy to help our local pubs that have offered there support to our band over many years. Until they can get there business back up and running in the hope we can continue to do what we enjoy.But this is my choice not anyone else’s .

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Well, I don't drink anymore because I'm an alcoholic and it sounds like a lot of fun and the exposure would be great and might bring about some work and I might even enjoy myself and...

I think you will find the commute a bit excessive for a free gig

11 minutes ago, WAYNESWORLD said:

When it comes to plying for free I would be happy to help our local pubs that have offered there support to our band over many years. Until they can get there business back up and running in the hope we can continue to do what we enjoy.But this is my choice not anyone else’s .

I had that recently, the guitarist wanted to do a free gig to get people back to gigging at a place that is good to gig. I said I was happy to help one of the landlords  who had been good to us, but not them, as they never were, so no way.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I had that recently, the guitarist wanted to do a free gig to get people back to gigging at a place that is good to gig. I said I was happy to help one of the landlords  who had been good to us, but not them, as they never were, so no way.

Deffo this.

The freebies we played were targeted at pubs that had given us gigs in the past, and that are (or have been) a pillar of the local music scene.

We didn't offer them to just anybody!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

This. My two bands play in a couple of locals for beers because they're nice places and the landlords are gents who give us paying gigs. It's not far to travel and means a fun evening on quiet nights early in the week.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Daz39 said:

You don’t play football or golf for other people’s entertainment! And the only service you might provide is to A&E…

Is that correct? Are there no amateur football matches happening any more? 

1 hour ago, chrisba said:

Please post the details.

I'd play. As would the rest of my band.

We play for fun.

Lots of bands do.

And totally cool that you do!

Neither of my covers bands play for free but I have zero issues with you, or anyone else, being prepared to play for free and the fact that you almost certainly love doing so (or you wouldn't be doing it). 

Just as I have no issues with folk volunteering their talents to work for a good cause and getting a lot of satisfaction from doing so, even though they're not getting paid. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is that correct? Are there no amateur football matches happening any more? 

The poster was specifically referring to a hobby at the weekend. You’re also not depriving professional footballers of income by playing for free at your local park.

• Like 1

Just now, Daz39 said:

The poster was specifically referring to a hobby at the weekend. You’re also not depriving professional footballers of income by playing for free at your local park.

I think professional footballers get paid because they're worth paying. 

• Like 1