Why become a member? ×

Your fave bands to cover live?

Lo Ki

Guess I'm fortunate enough to play for original bands the last 6-7 years but occasionally we'll play cover gigs under different band names. Sometimes they'll pick songs that I'm not very thrilled to play. At other times I get stoked to play certain covers(eg Black Sabbath 'Into the Void'). What is your fave cover band to play? Hard to choose so let's make it top 3? Mine are AC/DC(simple, less is more yet still ROCKIN) Iron Maiden (not so simple and always ROCKIN) & Black Sabbath/Ozzy (nuff said). All 3(4? lol) are always crowd pleasers and good fun whenever I get a chance to play'em. Obviously I'm a Hard Rock/Metal head but I'd like to include players of all genres. What are your fave 3 bands to cover?

Edited by Lo Ki
Poor English

Love a bit if ACDC too as our band covers more of their songs than any other band. Ozzy too as I really enjoy playing Crazy Train. Sterophonics featured many years ago when I tributes them but none are in my current bands set now.

• Like 1

Being in a Mod/Northern Soul/Ska band with bandmates and a soundman that like the bass prominent and up front I really am in bass heaven. 

It's hard to just pick three but let's go with The Jam (Bruce Foxton), The Who (John Entwistle) and The Specials (Horace Panter), but with the likes of The Small Faces, Secret Affair, The Lambrettas, Spencer Davies Group etc thrown in the mix, not to mention all the Northern Soul stuff, which much like Motown and Stax, generally has epic basslines it's hard to pick just three. 

• Like 1

From the set my band are currently playing it’s Rainbow’s earlier material with Dio on vocals. From previous bands I’d say The Specials, tho as we were a punk covers band we punked them up a bit, I did however play the right bass lines.

• Like 2

Not played in a band for many years, but always loved covering the usual suspects from the hard rock genre. Eg. UFO, Thin Lizzy, Blackfoot & Free through to Van Halen, Reo Speedwagon, Y&T.

• Like 1

Used to love covering Hendrix in my first ever band. The guitarist was phenomenal, that's a given, you can't do Hendrix unless you can do it well, but the songs just allow the bassist and drummer to jam together. I learned so much from playing with this unbelievable drummer, we got so tight we'd drop out and come back together, coordinate our fills... None of which was ever discussed it just came from practice practice practice. Audience reaction was always good too. Shame the guitarist was such a poor singer! 

• Like 1