Why become a member? ×

INCOMING Harley Benton HBO-850 Acoustic Bass

PaulThePlug

D'Addario black tapewounds on my three Dean Exotica acoustic basses. Tapewounds or flatwounds are the only way to go!

Good luck...with playing it, that is.

I seriously doubt you'll be able to mod it.

Edited by jd56hawk

Good score! Congrats.

2 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Gonna be after advice from anyone as to how to remove those leaf / laurels without doing to much damage!

I suspect that will be pretty much impossible.

• Like 1

The leaves look to be constructed from different woods for each leaf, so I'd assume they are glued to the top before the finish is applied. Removing them will probably leave a bare wood silhouette, which would mean removing all the finish on the top and refinishing to get an even coverage. 

I could (hopefully) be wrong but I don't think they'll come off and leave you with a nicely finished top. 

There's only one way to find out though. 😁

• Like 1

Looks nice. Always fancied an acoustic for messing around with.

On a slightly related note, the Thomann site now shows the price you pay which saves all that messing about with additional payments for vat etc.

All our prices quoted on our online store contain both VAT and customs - so you will not incur any additional costs after the purchase.

For returns or exchanges, simply request a return on your customer log in centre (Return Product) or you can send an email to [email protected]. You will then be able to print the return slip yourself and send it to our designated UK address for returns and exchanges.

Thanks for the posts above... Hopefuly It's gonna be a nice corner noodler...

This is a Gear4Music version that went on the bay... and was just what i was thinking... as a plain n simple fella...

Screenshot_20210703-145746.jpg

Maybe something for the future...

In the mean time i'll look to remove the leaf black line detail with isoprop and then maybe give the wood leaves a light Danish Oiling to satin finish with steel wool as they look untreated.

Got a Rosewood-ish truss rod cover for a couple of quid on the way to replace the awful looking black plastic one, that and with the Adagio flats i'm buzzin for it to arrive... and hopefully the frets won't be!

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Mate of mine in Kenya has one of these.

To save any QC hassles he gets the goodies sent to me, I give them the once then off they go to the shipping agent in London.

Afraid I never payed the slightest attention to the inlays.

18 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

I seriously doubt you'll be able to mod it.

Oh, you can swap the nut,replace the tuners, try another piezo element or change the preamp.

In other words, you can mod it easily enough.

4 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Mate of mine in Kenya has one of these.

To save any QC hassles he gets the goodies sent to me, I give them the once then off they go to the shipping agent in London.

Afraid I never payed the slightest attention to the inlays.

Oh, you can swap the nut,replace the tuners, try another piezo element or change the preamp.

In other words, you can mod it easily enough.

He's talking about a specific cosmetic mod that might very well ruin the bass.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Thanks for the posts above... Hopefuly It's gonna be a nice corner noodler...

This is a Gear4Music version that went on the bay... and was just what i was thinking... as a plain n simple fella...

Screenshot_20210703-145746.jpg

Maybe something for the future...

In the mean time i'll look to remove the leaf black line detail with isoprop and then maybe give the wood leaves a light Danish Oiling to satin finish with steel wool as they look untreated.

Got a Rosewood-ish truss rod cover for a couple of quid on the way to replace the awful looking black plastic one, that and with the Adagio flats i'm buzzin for it to arrive... and hopefully the frets won't be!

'Ere Paul... Someones drilled a load of 'oles in it.. ;)

If it’s half as good as my old black HB five string acoustic you won’t be disappointed. As others have said, whack a set of flats on it and away you go. 

08EB45E5-6BC9-4EBF-B7F7-3184088EEF4C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I was undecided... considered the black one and staining the leaves black to a matt/satin finish... I am now doubting myself.

EDIT: Just been on to Thomanns, order has been processed, so I ordered a Black one, and will send the Natural one back for a refund if they can't put a stop on or cancel...

EDIT: NOW LANDED...

Edited by PaulThePlug

• 1 year later...