Why become a member? ×

Recent discoveries of old music

So yeah, share your recent discoveries of old music that you probably should have heard a long time ago! For me I've recently discovered Young, Gifted and Black by Aretha Franklin, it's amazing plus the bass work is phenomenal!

Edit: I should probably say that I mean the album by Aretha Franklin not the Nina Simone song :D

Edited by EllCurrell95

Deacon Blue - Raintown and When The World Knows Your Name

Brilliant songwriting and fantastic performances from all involved. While I'm disappointed I didn't wake up to them sooner, there is a particular joy in finding a new back catalogue to explore. I recently got deep into Talking Heads too, for the first time, while reading Chris Frantz's book. Great fun was had.

• Like 4

Rainbow - the band I’m in now does a few of their songs and although I knew the more popular chart/rock songs I wasn’t aware of the material with Dio on vox. Well now I am and really enjoy both playing it and listening to it.

• Like 2

Caravan. Heard them over 40 years ago on the Friday Rock Show and thought they were brilliant, then for some reason didn’t listen to them again until last year, when I made a point of it. Absolutely love them, they’re now one of my favourite bands. 

Also, 666 by Aphrodite’s Child, which I’d never heard until last year. Banging. 

Anthony Phillips’ solo stuff. Lovely. 

Thanks to our own Old Man Riva (to whom I’m eternally grateful) the duo Pooka, and subsequently Natasha Lea Jones (formerly one half of Pooka). Adore them, listen to them all the time. 

In fact I’ve listened to so much new old music in the last year whilst working from home, I’ve lost track a bit. And I’ve liked or loved most of it. There have been some peculiar omissions too that I finally caught up with. Kate Bush has been one of my absolute favourite artists for years but for some reason I’d never got round to listening to the 9th Wave on Hounds of Love, or the entire Aerial album (no, I can’t understand why either). I listened to them both on the same day and was reduced to tears for about half an hour. Unbelievable, 

Possibly the biggest “new old” discovery is going back a couple of years, but would be Sandy Denny. Finally thought I should listen to more of her well over 40 years after first loving her performance on Battle of Evermore. I’ve never looked back and will be eternally in love with her voice and songwriting, and her interpretations of traditional songs like She Moves Through The Fair and Banks of the Nile. My eternal regret will be not discovering her properly when she was still with us. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Possibly the biggest “new old” discovery is going back a couple of years, but would be Sandy Denny. Finally thought I should listen to more of her well over 40 years after first loving her performance on Battle of Evermore. I’ve never looked back and will be eternally in love with her voice and songwriting, and her interpretations of traditional songs like She Moves Through The Fair and Banks of the Nile. My eternal regret will be not discovering her properly when she was still with us. 

A truly wonderful lady.  I had the pleasure of seeing her at Newcastle City Hall when she was part of Fotheringay.  It was a magical night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, LeftyP said:

A truly wonderful lady.  I had the pleasure of seeing her at Newcastle City Hall when she was part of Fotheringay.  It was a magical night.

Wow. That would have been one of my dream gigs. Fotheringay’s first is one of my favourite albums. 

I was never a fan of music streaming subscriptions for various reasons, but relatively recently caved in and bought an Echo device purely for the ease of noodling along with music at home.

One thing I have come to realise it's great for is listening to old music that I wouldn't necessarily have bought, and as a result I've discovered some great stuff. If I really like something I'll still buy the CD, yes I'm a weirdo. 😁

Ultravox is one of those bands for me, I know, and like, the hits but have never looked any further. I'm really liking the stuff I haven't heard before. One of my favourite discoveries has been Ann Peebles' album 'I Can't Stand The Rain'. I'd never heard of her but what a soul voice!! The playing is great too as it's mainly session musicians who played on Stax and Hi Records productions, you can feel the Al Green vibe all over it. 

• Like 1

Been listening to a load of Colin Hay from Men at work since the first lockdown and over the last few weeks he has been posting MAW`s catalogue that he recorded with his newer version of the band. Some really good stuff and they are a great band.

• Like 2

The best find for me over the last year has been Filter who came out around the same time as  grunge became the thing. For a while they were quite big in the US with two platinum albums but weren't much known in Yurrp. Their sound is a melodic half way between grunge and industrial,  the main man having been in Nine Inch Nails. Only came across them through Rick Beato's top 10 songs in drop D on his YT channel.

19 hours ago, 4000 said:

Caravan. Heard them over 40 years ago on the Friday Rock Show and thought they were brilliant, then for some reason didn’t listen to them again until last year, when I made a point of it. Absolutely love them, they’re now one of my favourite bands. 

Also, 666 by Aphrodite’s Child, which I’d never heard until last year. Banging. 

Anthony Phillips’ solo stuff. Lovely. 

Thanks to our own Old Man Riva (to whom I’m eternally grateful) the duo Pooka, and subsequently Natasha Lea Jones (formerly one half of Pooka). Adore them, listen to them all the time. 

In fact I’ve listened to so much new old music in the last year whilst working from home, I’ve lost track a bit. And I’ve liked or loved most of it. There have been some peculiar omissions too that I finally caught up with. Kate Bush has been one of my absolute favourite artists for years but for some reason I’d never got round to listening to the 9th Wave on Hounds of Love, or the entire Aerial album (no, I can’t understand why either). I listened to them both on the same day and was reduced to tears for about half an hour. Unbelievable, 

Check out, if you hadn’t already heard of them -

Badger

PFM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin8708 said:

For one reason or another , I just keep listening to Tom Petty ( and the heartbreakers ) 

A bit like Bowie , when they have gone , I seem to value there musical contributions more in the knowledge there will be no more to come .

I picked up Tom Petty’s “Wildflowers” album a few months ago but only got round to listening on a long drive from the Midlands to Wales last month. It blew my mind. Brilliant stuff.