Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB 434 vs G&L L2000 Tribute ...FIGHT!!

DevonDel

43 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Was it necessary to take those comments quite this badly?! 😢

Saw the same thing several times here.

Wasn't sure if people were joking or actually didn't know. Hard to tell if people were L2000 users or if they'd merely tried them out once at this or that store. Some might be unaware they can go fully passive.

Edited by jd56hawk

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

So G&L do do slimmer necks then? Every G&L I’ve ever played - quite a few - has had the exact feel I run screaming away from. 😉 

Nut Width 1 1/2", 1 5/8" and 1 3/4

Neck radius 7 1/2", 9 1/2" and 12"

I bought a 5 string G&L L2500 tribute, a couple of years ago, and am still amazed how versatile it is. 

You want honky Jazz tones you've got them, big fat P bass on steroids sounds, you've got them.

The B string is really tight and defined as well.

I don't know anything about Yamahas unfortunately.

Edited by gjones

The neck thing would be key for me - the Yamaha specifically says it's thin, the L2000 will be chunky.

I had an L2000 for about a year and played it out a lot, it was great for a wide range of sounds, but it didn't have that effortless "yeah thats it" that you can get from a good passive - with the MFD's you just got so damn much sound even passive!

14 hours ago, 4000 said:

So G&L do do slimmer necks then? Every G&L I’ve ever played - quite a few - has had the exact feel I run screaming away from. 😉 

G&L USA have neck options.  G&L Tribute is a case of you'll take what they give you.  Tribute L-2000s have wide, super chunky necks.  Tribute M-2000s have a nice in-betweeny neck - shame it's disappeared off the G&L website.  Tribute SB-2 has a Jazz nut width but reasonable back to front thickness.

• Like 1

I recently bought a used Tribute JB-2 for US$315 and have been very pleased with it even though I'm typically not a J-neck person.  P-shaped body but slightly smaller, two volumes, one tone, and it sure sounds pretty old school to me.

20 hours ago, 4000 said:

If you get a US model you have a decent choice but The Kiliton and the M2000 have a slimmer neck.

And there may be a minty M2000 Tribute up for sale soon...:ph34r:

On 02/07/2021 at 20:27, Eldon Tyrell said:

Agree. The L2k has some amazing tones but old school tones are not really among those.

If the budget can be stretched a bit, I would recommend the US made G&L CLF Research L1000. Leo's last take on the P bass. Passive bass with a nice neck (1 5/8" slim C) and some great tones. Currently on offer for a ridiculously low price:

I mean, you're quoting L1K as an old school tone but L2K in your opinion cannot do old school tones?

You can get most of L1K's tones with L2K in neck pup position. They're in the same (P bass) position. It's the same MFD pickup. L2K does passive too (active mode is just a buffer or a buffer + treble boost anyways, not a standard active EQ in any way, shape or form). You can't do OMG mode, sure, but honestly, series mode has plenty enough of bass (I always cut some bass and treble anyways) and you can shape the tone to be pretty damn old school. You can't do single coil without a K-mod either, but IMO you don't go L1K or L2K for single coil tones. YMMV.

L2K's neck pup gives a good fat P bass like tone, and with some mods (if you really need them) does everything L1K does.
L series are not really modern sounding basses, M series does a standard active bass + EQ type of thing, but L series basses have always been more old school tone wise.

Edited by mouthmw