Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB 434 vs G&L L2000 Tribute ...FIGHT!!

DevonDel

Right, got some money burning a hole in my pocket for a new used bass after selling my old trusty Jazz.

I'm pushing 50 and play in a old school rock band (Cream, Hendrix, Bowie etc) so looking for something with old school tones and plenty of low end, I don't often need to play with a pick nor do I ever have the need to slap.

So I was thinking, Yamaha BB 434 or G&L L2000 Tribute what are your thoughts, finger pointing or experience?

BTW I live in lower bumble f*ck my local shop has 3 random basses so please don't say go and try them as I can't without travelling halfway across the company and I'm too lazy to do that....I know in an ideal world I would try them but there isn't such place.

Thanks in advance.

P.S I might go 5 so Yamaha BB435 or G&L L2500 makes no odds.

Edited by DevonDel

Not familiar with the actual Yamaha model you're interested in but having owned basses by both marques I can reassure you that you're on the right path.

I would be happy with either bass, both punch well above their price point and are very user friendly. 

Both very well made instruments that will sound great, but also very different. For me:

Yamaha - great passive sound, more 'Fendery'. P/J combined does not sound like a Jazz for me (734A). Neck profile will be moderately sized.

G&L - bright, punchy and a bit more 'Musicman' in presence, but won't sound like a Stingray. Neck profile is chonky. More controls but that doesn't mean massively different sounds.

Personally i'd get on with both of them, but for what you described i'd go with the Yamaha.

• Like 1

I have owned a G&L L2000 Tribute in the past, and if anything, "old school tones" is not something I managed to achieve from it, which is why I used to own one. 

I would lean towards the Yamaha, as it's not only more Fender-y P/J, but passive as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

When people enthuse about their L-2000s - which they often do, and vigorously - they're not usually mentioning old school tones.

Agree. The L2k has some amazing tones but old school tones are not really among those.

If the budget can be stretched a bit, I would recommend the US made G&L CLF Research L1000. Leo's last take on the P bass. Passive bass with a nice neck (1 5/8" slim C) and some great tones. Currently on offer for a ridiculously low price:

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/g-amp-l-clf-l1000-bass-guitar-pharaoh-gold-firemist

The L1k has three positions (parallel/split/OMG) that can get you lots of different tones. Mega old school tones can be achieved with flats like in this video (from 09:43). Ed plays the exact same model the band "The Mavericks".

I really like the white Tributes with the matching headstocks and the Trans orange ones with the maple fretboards. TheJapanese ones, are even nicer.

First G&L I ever played was a L2000 Tribute. Liked it so much I found a new one for the ridiculous price of $500. Played it for three or four months before finding a nice USA-made one and never even noticed the neck was slightly wider.

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sambrook said:

Sorry to slightly disagree with some of the above comments. L2000 strung with TI flats and played on the neck pickup is, I think, P bass heaven...

I've not played the Yamaha in question, but I concur with @Sambrook!  Nickel strings or flats, neck pup, series and passive mode, volume adjusted for desired growl  = lovely P-style thump! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

M2000, slimmer neck. 

L2000 tributes are like a baseball bat. If you go US they have L1500 and L2000 on sale on pmtonline, cheapest I've seen anywhere.

I had a M2000 with a L2000 neck which I had no issues with. My second M2000 was an absolute joy to play.

Have a 434 amd it does the job admirably - producing the tones you seek.

Have owned several L2ks but all USA though same electronics and noisy bits. I believe old school tones can be coaxed out of it but with much more finaigling not as instantaneous as is the 434. The range of tones on the GL is far greater than 434 

Necks on Tribs are known to be bloated whereas 434 neck is just superb.

Currently using 434 as it gets job done perfectly and at right price. Watch for the rattly tuning peg - mine had it and sorted with super glue.

The best of G&L IMO is the L-1000 with finer fretwire and the Musicman profile neck - the original. Amazing tone machine for classic sounds.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2021 at 19:27, Eldon Tyrell said:

Agree. The L2k has some amazing tones but old school tones are not really among those.

If the budget can be stretched a bit, I would recommend the US made G&L CLF Research L1000. Leo's last take on the P bass. Passive bass with a nice neck (1 5/8" slim C) and some great tones. Currently on offer for a ridiculously low price:

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/g-amp-l-clf-l1000-bass-guitar-pharaoh-gold-firemist

The L1k has three positions (parallel/split/OMG) that can get you lots of different tones. Mega old school tones can be achieved with flats like in this video (from 09:43). Ed plays the exact same model the band "The Mavericks".

I wish I hadn't seen this. GAS is on the rise once again after I thought I had defeated it. Love G&L. Hate GAS. Help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1