Why become a member? ×

John East Preamps

attackbass

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has bought a John East Preamp directly from the website?

They seem to be all out of stock at Bass Direct and Bass Gallery and I've sent John a couple of emails asking questions in the last month but haven't had any response. Just wondering if he is still making them at the moment before I put in an order!

Anyone have any info as I'd love to get a J tone in my bass! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, attackbass said:

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has bought a John East Preamp directly from the website?

They seem to be all out of stock at Bass Direct and Bass Gallery and I've sent John a couple of emails asking questions in the last month but haven't had any response. Just wondering if he is still making them at the moment before I put in an order!

Anyone have any info as I'd love to get a J tone in my bass! 

I bought a J-Tone for my Overwater Jazz 5 a couple of years ago direct from John, and he's pretty quick in getting them out to people.

I've bought several units through John's website without any issue, just worth considering that he doesn't offer a next day service. 

I spoke with him last year about an issue and the inference during the call was that the business operates 100% hands on and he's over everything.  Probably needs to take someone on to handle admin/payments/despatch.  Not wholly certain whether he keeps stock of everything or simply manufactures on an ad-hoc basis.

Johns customer service is absolutely top drawer in my experience. When a part broke on my U-retro he had me over to his place and sat me down with a brew while he fixed it for me free of charge even though the unit was out of warranty :) it also helps that his electronics sound amazing (IMO of course).

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did you ever get a reply? 

I've previously purchased from John and can echo all the positive words above. However, I have also sent him two emails over the past month with no reply but have bit the bullet and placed an order anyway.

51 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I've previously purchased from John and can echo all the positive words above. However, I have also sent him two emails over the past month with no reply but have bit the bullet and placed an order anyway.

I've put in a couple of enquiries recently, no response either.  U-Retro 3 and something for a P-Bass, both out of stock on his website. :(

i can only agree with all the comments, the guy is on the ball when it comes to back up of his products.

i installed a J retro in my jazz but hated the top end glassyness of it as i could not hear the top end tone to the notes only a sort of hi clickyness, so after a discussion with jon he just said no problem bring it back and i will drop down the hi an octave so you can hear it clearer in the notes, which i wanted for recording, so i said i dont mind doing it myself ( im a bit of a tec electronics geek anyway) so he just sent me full  instructions of what to do, just a change of a cap for a lower value, so i thought sod it al put the cap on another switch so i can swap between two hi's, what a nice guy, even to someone thats as much as a pain in the crack as me 🙂

and here it is...

IMG_0248.thumb.JPG.da639cec657adceb00c83e4a232a9ca4.JPG

IMG_0238.thumb.JPG.81b30e475098712867fc1d836b181925.JPG

• Like 3

On 02/07/2021 at 13:29, FinnDave said:

Mind you, it's not an easy house to find, tucked away kind of behind a lay-by. Worth the effort, though.

Just use the postcode and look for the house with the white Nissan 300ZX. Easy spot from the road.

8 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Do you find yourself using both choices?

you can do yes, it seems everyone is going for that hifi scooped sound, thats not what im after after recording it, you can roll it off but its still too "breathy" if thats a word to use, i want to hear the hi tone not a super hi click, and the mid does not get you up there so cant compensate, its just prefs thats all, each to their own and all that.

just had a thought.... on saying all that,,, its really down to your bass set up and pickups, the mec golds are super clean, so maybe that has something to do with it ??

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 1

On 04/10/2021 at 14:00, JohnR said:

I've just received an email from John confirming my preamp arrives tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just received what will now be my 4th East preamp over the years. It’s a 5 knob uni pre for my Ibanez fanfret.This preamp has just released the bass that was trying to get out for the last 3 yrs. I upgraded the Bartolini’s to proper Bart Singularitys which were a vast improvement and always wanted to add the East but wondered if it would make much difference as the standard pre was a Bart copy not much different from the actual. Bart itself. Well as I should of realised of coarse it would. Installed the East this afternoon plugged her in and wow absolutely knocked out with the options available. Just phenomenal.I am convinced these are the best pre amps on the market today.

If John East made larger it would probably be the best larger in the world