Why become a member? ×

A friend of mine came to me at the beginning of the year with an idea for a new "Soul" themed show/band. 17pc band including 4 vocalists, 4 horns, and 3 strings, as well as 2 keys, bass, drums, guitar and percussion, and some dancers in addition to that - Basically a full on production! All the classics from Stevie Wonder, Chic, Marvin Gaye, Earth Wind and Fire, etc. I got in touch with some of the most talented musicians that I know, and everyone I contacted was up for it. Happy days!

We had Kev, our resident Welsh Wizard (and coincidentally, our guitarist) arrange a medley, and then we got together and filmed it at the end of May. The audio was all recorded live on the day (no miming here!) and subsequently mixed by Kev, and we had a 2 man crew in to film us, and then I edited the video. The first time that we all played together as a band was the day the Promo was recorded, as it was super hard to arrange any rehearsals due to Covid. Considering this, I'm super chuffed with how it came out.

The idea of the show is that it is a complete entertainment experience. A host, 3 course meal, DJ after the show etc. "A Night To Remember!" as our tagline says. We're playing on NYE at Porchester Hall in London. We will also be available for corporate events and functions.

You can find out all the details about the show and members of the band, as well as book tickets (if you feel so inclined) on our website.

Sorry for the self promotion, just wanted to share something that I'm really proud of. It was a really valuable learning experience putting something like this together, having always just been the bass player in the past. Also my new NYC Sadowsky P Bass sounds lovely, so I wanted to share it with you lovely lot! Haha!

Any and all feedback and questions gladly received, I would love to hear your thoughts on the video, website, and the brand overall, as a product.

Edited by Higgie
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, E sharp said:

I don't think you need any feedback mate .....

That's great .

Absolutely this ^^^

Superb video, and the website is excellent too. My only other comment is - can you make it pay with such a massive band ?!! All the best.

• Like 1

I used to work in Corporate event production, so have had to deal with loads of artists/bands where we have had to slot them into a larger production (e.g. after conference party).

Adding a separate technical info page would be very useful. This should have as a minimum a stage plan/layout (dimensioned), desk channel plan, a realistic technical rider and contact email/phone for the main sound engineer or production manager (whoever is the key technical person). This needs to be up to date (and dated/versioned - chasing out of date and incorrect riders was a constant problem).

We would always finalise a spec based on personal conversations/emails and get the artist team to sign off on it, but clients always want to know what a rider will cost before booking an artist and that is always very urgent. We quite often were chasing tour managers for info and they just weren't interested in replying quickly since they were doing other shows and/or were out of the country completely. Having the latest info on a website is a huge time saver.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

I used to work in Corporate event production, so have had to deal with loads of artists/bands where we have had to slot them into a larger production (e.g. after conference party).

Adding a separate technical info page would be very useful. This should have as a minimum a stage plan/layout (dimensioned), desk channel plan, a realistic technical rider and contact email/phone for the main sound engineer or production manager (whoever is the key technical person). This needs to be up to date (and dated/versioned - chasing out of date and incorrect riders was a constant problem).

We would always finalise a spec based on personal conversations/emails and get the artist team to sign off on it, but clients always want to know what a rider will cost before booking an artist and that is always very urgent. We quite often were chasing tour managers for info and they just weren't interested in replying quickly since they were doing other shows and/or were out of the country completely. Having the latest info on a website is a huge time saver.

This is precisely the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks so much for taking the time to write this out. We are self contained for the most part, with the PA and sound equipment supplied by Kev (the aforementioned Welsh Wizard!) but will be hiring in the lighting on a per gig basis. Thanks again for your insight - very valuable info.

2 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Well, Higgie, your Welsh Wizard has done an A1 job on the arrangement for the medley - faultless.

And you're no slouch in the playing department either - love the clear open B on the Sadowsky at 2.42 !   :i-m_so_happy:

Thank you mate! Yes there was always going to be a low B there, let’s face it! 😂

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Absolutely this ^^^

Superb video, and the website is excellent too. My only other comment is - can you make it pay with such a massive band ?!! All the best.

Thanks mate! Everyone is doing it just for exposure so we’re fine in that department!

…Just kidding. We’re confident we can make it pay, as the clientele we are targeting would be able to afford it 😂

4 hours ago, E sharp said:

I don't think you need any feedback mate .....

That's great .

Very kind of you, thanks!

Awesome job. I got involved with someone trying to set up something very similar. Proper Soul/ Funk/Disco band. He was going to include a "Salsa" spot to with dance teachers to do a bit of tuition for them that got targeted. 

Did a load of rehearsals but it seemed to just fizzle out. Really glad someone has managed to make it work as I always thought there was a market for it.

Good luck going forward.

• Like 1

Just one thing re the website Higgie - there’s a page where the text is over two different coloured backgrounds, and the right hand section of text all but disappears over the yellow/cream bit. Cheers, Pete.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, casapete said:

Just one thing re the website Higgie - there’s a page where the text is over two different coloured backgrounds, and the right hand section of text all but disappears over the yellow/cream bit. Cheers, Pete.

Nice one! I had noticed that in places myself, but after I resized my window it stopped happening...Leading me to forget to address it with the web developer. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, cetera said:

That's fantastic! Lush bass tone too ;)

Great stuff!

Cheers man! Thanks for checking it out!

1 hour ago, BassBunny said:

Awesome job. I got involved with someone trying to set up something very similar. Proper Soul/ Funk/Disco band. He was going to include a "Salsa" spot to with dance teachers to do a bit of tuition for them that got targeted. 

Did a load of rehearsals but it seemed to just fizzle out. Really glad someone has managed to make it work as I always thought there was a market for it.

Good luck going forward.

Sorry to hear your project fizzled out. It's certainly hard work trying to make things like this work logistically due to the sheer amount of people and schedules you have to accommodate, so I can see why they tend to go by the wayside! Thanks for checking us out! 

• Like 1

I'll probably be in the minority here, but personally, I'd lose the dancers. This band doesn't need them; there is enough going on without them.

I've been in bands like this before and I find they are an additional expenditure for very little, if any, benefit.

Other than that, top job mate and I wish you all the very best. May your gig diary always be full 👍

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Sounds great and must be great fun being involved in such a large production. Just in time for normality too.

It certainly is! Especially when everyone involved is so bloody talented! Also fun to do something with my mrs! She's on trombone and her brother is on trumpet. 

9 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I'll probably be in the minority here, but personally, I'd lose the dancers. This band doesn't need them; there is enough going on without them.

I've been in bands like this before and I find they are an additional expenditure for very little, if any, benefit.

Other than that, top job mate and I wish you all the very best. May your gig diary always be full 👍

Thanks mate! As I said, all feedback gladly received, and it's always nice to hear another point of view! I have to admit I was unsure about having dancers during our initial discussions about the show too, but I was gradually won over, and now wouldn't have it any other way! As a musician, yeah I'd probably prefer to just watch the band. But from a punter's point of view? I think it works really well. Throughout the night they will be down in the audience interacting with the crowd, getting people dancing etc, so they do actually have a practical purpose too!

Great to hear some points from someone who has been involved in things like this too. Thanks for taking the time mate!

Edited by Higgie

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

No offence @Higgie but I’d rather watch the dancers than you 😜

• Haha 2

Looks and sounds amazing. Best of luck with it and, assuming you succeed in making it pay, good on you for diverting some of your clients’ no doubt ill gotten gains into the threadbare wallets of honest musicians!

• Haha 1

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and feedback. The enthusiasm and positivity the show has been met with here and on social media is amazing, and really encouraging. Thanks again! 🍻

• Like 2