Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge

lurksalot

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Have you gone through the process described here, in the 'spoiler'..?

How to set up the Behringer 'thingie' ...

Having found my one, I wanted to check that it works, and, by following the 'spoiler' above, it worked straight away. We'll go over it step by step if need be; read the 'spoiler' first and we'll continue from there ...

Tried to find and download drivers ,but tbh don't know what to do with it then anyway, this kind of thing is why I just gave up with all this years ago !

As a slight update, I did away with the behringer thing & plugged the zoom mrs straight  into the computer via a phono to stero jack into the microphone hole, this at least allowed me to record something onto audacity.. Tho gawd knows how you save it or do anything with it !

Edited by Waddo Soqable

... and breath...

Maybe we should pass to PM, so as not to overload the July Challenge server..? We can then do a 'question-answer walkthrough to get you set up, whatever system works best for you. Here comes a PM ...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

... and breath...

Maybe we should pass to PM, so as not to overload the July Challenge server..? We can then do a 'question-answer walkthrough to get you set up, whatever system works best for you. Here comes a PM ...

Cheers Dad !  Good plan 👍

6 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Excellent! Well done both! And welcome @Waddo Soqable to being able to share your recordings!

I reckon those Zooms are pretty good…. But if you ever get a DAW it will open up a load. of new possibilities…… 😃

Has to be ridiculously simple for me, i can't really "do" computers ...with the elderly zoom mrs thing I can just about manage to record something and overdub something else over it !

26 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Has to be ridiculously simple for me, i can't really "do" computers ...with the elderly zoom mrs thing I can just about manage to record something and overdub something else over it !

I have two DAWs and apart from setting up the interfaces there really isn't a lot of computing skill required to get something onto "tape".  If you can operate a multitrack you'll be able to do the fundamentals of recording with a DAW with little effort.  There's loads of tutorials on Youtube too - take a quick look at the setup for interfaces and basic DAW use and you'll realise even drummers could so it (Sorry @Dad3353).  Looking forward to hearing your first effort.

I suspect your biggest hurdle will be whether any DAW will run on the laptop to be honest - but Reaper would allow a free trial and is less tech hungry than most and is cheap if you decide you can live with it.

• Thanks 1

Here is my entry to this months challenge.

The theme of the song is Urban Decay.  The lyrics (such as they are) are about towns disappearing but the music starts with a clean, simple theme and the idea was to add more and more layers to represent the graffiti that builds up over time .  Of course, it's urban so I went for a bit of poor rapping.

As usual recorded in Cubase all the real instruments are Fender (Squier CV Bass, Telecaster) and most of the Amplitude simulations are Fender too with a tape echo and loads of compression on the guitar.  All the rest is Xpand Air2.

Lyrics in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Don’t need any more outta town superstore

Don’t see the point of another cheap chicken joint

Pawn shops, betting shops, Amazon E Bay

You made a choice and its urban decay

Boredom, drugs, knife crime, fear

That’s all there is for kids around here

You choose cheap booze pre load this way

You made the choice and it’s urban decay

This town is done this town is no fun

This town is done this town is no fun

Edited by Nicko
Put more eloquently, I hope
  • Like 4

I think I have mine fleshed out now , simple , lots of guitary stuff, but I still have time to ask everyone I meet if they can sing better than I can , and while I realise that plenty will reply in the affirmative , getting them to come round to my house , loosen up and belt one out, often breaks the deal .....it might be me again 😂

Edited by lurksalot
  • Sad 1

I forgot a name, you can call it Orchestral Piece 4 if you like..  ( Takt 8 is not it's name but the name I gave the SC channel incidentally )  it's very Lo-Fi I'm afraid, as it was created on a £10 keyboard from a boot fair and I preferred the rough version anyway ( plus I've resisted slapping loads of 'lush' effects on it )  

Edited by Waddo Soqable
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

I think I might have a candidate for a bit of vocalisation , I heard a neighbour singing along to the radio with what sounded like the voice of an angel ...we are in negotiation 😁

Is Mrs Lurks aware of these 'negotiations'..? -_-

26 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Is Mrs Lurks aware of these 'negotiations'..? -_-

Absolutely, she is far more concerned that I will be inviting said ‘angel’ to the house and the fact that a random piece of anything might not be clean enough or in the correct place 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

My vocal has been done by someone with a decent idea of these things. Cheers D!

We have "Flowers", a song about decay of relationship, plus a general musing on how folks live closely together. 

https://m.soundcloud.com/leonard-smalls/flowers

Fretless Bass is a Lighwave, feedback is Wal bass, guitar a Strat through Bias fx. Drums programmed through ez and Ableton. Vox by DV. Keys, Ableton instruments.

• Like 2

Here goes........

Some blurb for the voting page:

The picture bought to mind the decayed industry we see around us, a thriving workplace has become a void. I called the song "Into The Void" and that in turn led to a downbeat, goth-y feel.

end of blurb.

Recorded with Studio One. First time out for my upgrade to Studio one Five, with some new (virtual) amps/pedals. First time out for a new set of drum sounds too.

Daw = Studio One (five). Mic = Sure SM58, Guitar = Squier telecaster, Bass = Vantage, Drums = Studio one piano roll with Red Zep sounds.

• Like 2

2 entries in the one month!  Now which to choose as my entry?

This one is a different view on the pic.  Looking at it as a great memory.  One where you feel warm and happy.  Maybe you worked in the factory?  Maybe it was a party in this factory?  Maybe you found love here?  Whatever it may have been, it's a happy place to visit.

See next page for update....
Edited by xgsjx

1 hour ago, xgsjx said:

This one is a different view on the pic.  Looking at it as a great memory.  One where you feel warm and happy.  Maybe you worked in the factory?  Maybe it was a party in this factory?  Maybe you found love here?  Whatever it may have been, it's a happy place to visit.

Glass half full eh?:lol:

• Haha 1