Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge

lurksalot

Yes, but not as good as a 'pukka' interface. It works (or, it did for me when I used it...), but I've much more flexibility with my current interface (bought s/h from this very Forum at a decent price...).

I didn't ask :  what PC are you using..? Laptop, OK, but what OS (Windows..? Which one..? Mac,  maybe..? Which one..?). The age or performance matters less than the system being used, and will, again, allow more pertinent answers. B|

Edited by Dad3353

13 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Yes, but not as good as a 'pukka' interface. It works (or, it did for me when I used it...), but I've much more flexibility with my current interface (bought s/h from this very Forum at a decent price...).

I didn't ask :  what PC are you using..? Laptop, OK, but what OS (Windows..? Which one..? Mac,  maybe..? Which one..?). The age or performance matters less than the system being used, and will, again, allow more pertinent answers. B|

Im sure it'd do for my purposes, I'm not spending 140 quid for sure !! As for the computer It's a cheapo s/h laptop with windows 10 ( not sure if it's a "snide" version!)  It doesn't get used for much unsurprisingly,  so not filled to capacity I wouldn't think 

Edited by Waddo Soqable

1 minute ago, Waddo Soqable said:

It's a cheapo s/h laptop with windows 10 ( not sure if it's a "snide" version!)  It doesn't get used for much unsurprisingly,  so not filled to capacity I wouldn't think 

OK, it's the 'Windows 10' I wanted to know. Any idea if it's a 32- or 64-bit version..? (Anticipated reply : 'How the $µ§@ would I know that..?').

Right-click the 'Windows' icon, bottom left corner of the screen when task bar is showing...
Select 'Control Panel'...
Select 'System and Security'...
Select 'System'...
Read 'System type' ...

Well, what are you waiting for, Christmas..? ¬¬

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

OK, it's the 'Windows 10' I wanted to know. Any idea if it's a 32- or 64-bit version..? (Anticipated reply : 'How the $µ§@ would I know that..?').

Right-click the 'Windows' icon, bottom left corner of the screen when task bar is showing...
Select 'System'...
Read 'System type' ...

Funnily enuff father, i know its a 32 bitsa coz i found out previous, like..  :)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Select 'System'...
Read 'System type' ...

I just ordered the Beringer doodah you recommended ( or rather got one of my associates with amazon to! ) so hopefully should have that tomorrow, allegedly.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I just ordered the Beringer doodah you recommended...

Good News (as I haven't found mine, yet..!). Use the 'waiting time', then to download and install Audacity, which you'll be using to 'read' the Zoom, and creating a file that can be uploaded to Soundcloud. Here's a link to the Audacity site (it's free, 'open source', and easy to use for your purposes...) : Audacity ...

There's a comment/review on the Amazon page for the Behringer which explains in some detail exactly how to get the unit, Windows and Audacity to work together correctly. It's simple and clear; here's the comment in full (inside a 'spoiler' to keep the post tidy; just open it to read ...)...

Spoiler

This device works fine - don't be put off by reviews that say it gives only one channel instead of stereo. There are settings in Windows that need to be correct for this to function properly. I suppose more detailed instructions could be provided with it. In order to get Windows 10 working correctly, here are steps you may need to follow:

1. Connect the UFO202 to USB port.
2. Click on "Start", type "Control panel" and select Control Panel desktop app.
3. Select "Sound".
4. Select "Recording" tab.
5. Double-click Microphone USB Audio CODEC (NOT the other microphone devices). If it's not there, try a right-click in this window and ensure "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices" are checked.
6. Select "Advanced" tab.
7. In the drop-down you may well find the default Windows setting of "1 channel 16 bit etc". Select a 2-channel mode (I use 16 bit 48000 Hz).
8. Ensure the two boxes in Exclusive mode below this are both checked,
9. Click "OK", and exit from control panel.
10. Restart Audacity and in it select "Transport" in the top menu bar, and then "Rescan audio devices".
11. Try recording now, and it should be in stereo.

Other criticisms refer to the Audacity software. This is well worth investing a bit of time and trouble to learn, and is a very powerful free recording tool (great for recording streamed audio from the internet too!) As a quick guide to using it with the Behringer, this is what I do:

a. Ensure UFO202 is connected to USB and Audacity is not running.
b. Start Audacity.
c. Set device toolbar to the following: Windows WASAPI – Microphone (USB Audio Codec) – 2 (Stereo) Recording Channels – Speakers (High Definition Audio Device).
d. Click "Pause" button" and then "Record" button.
e. When ready, start source (e.g. LP) and click "Pause" button to start recording.
f. Use "Pause" button to temporarily pause recording.
g. Click "Stop" button when recording has finished.

You can then save your recording in whatever format you want - ideally FLAC in my view.

One more little thing: Initially I permanently connected the Behringer to the "Record out" terminals on my amplifier, but realised that it was degrading the amplifier output when NOT also connected to the computer's USB port, and hence not powered up - a quirk of input impedance or something within the Behringer I guess. So now when not using it I disconnect BOTH ends of it - from the amplifier and the PC.

So in conclusion a very useful device which works well, once you have mastered your connections to it! I do think instructions like this could be published with it.

There... That should get you up and running, able to compose and record with the Zoom, then transfer to the laptop and upload to Soundcloud for the Challenge. R91KekF.gif

• Thanks 1

On 04/07/2021 at 12:31, Waddo Soqable said:

I just ordered the Beringer doodah ...

Typically, I've just found mine (to be truthful, it was Our Youngest that came up trumps...); I'm assuming you won't be needing it now..? :i-m_so_happy:

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Typically, I've just found mine (to be truthful, it was Our Youngest that came up trumps...); I'm assuming you won't be needing it now..? :i-m_so_happy:

I should be ok assuming it rolls up, in theory today sometime....amazon are usually reliable enough, but if it all goes pear shape for some reason I'll give you a shout!  Thanks so much tho it's much appreciated 👍

• Thanks 1

Here is my contribution to the July 2021 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Leonard Smalls.
Nature has a way of responding to misuse and abuse of her bounty. Now abandoned by those hoping to make a quick (on Nature's timescale...) profit from this area, winds whistle and howl through the broken panes, rattling anything left loose, echoing in and out of the cisterns and tubes, pipes and wires; anything to display some disapproval. Are they voices, or is it our heightened imagination..? Heavenly choirs or shrieking demons..? Let your conscience be your guide...
Organic synthesis here, using Reaktor tracks for the first time. A few presets, chosen for their fit, and lightly tweaked in some cases (too harsh, or too persistent...). A Kontakt 'Blue', mixed further back with a very convincing Roland Space Echo for the 'voices', all in Reaper, mastered with the Abbey Road TG Mastering Chain, using the Silky Highs And Lows preset.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 3

On 03/07/2021 at 16:01, Waddo Soqable said:

I do odd stuff on an old zoom multitrack recorder occasionally but have no clue how you'd upload it ?  Would you first do a copy onto a laptop or something ? Not got a scooby !

I don't really do computers I'm kind of dislexic with them and really don't understand 'em ( or even want to tbh)  ..hence I've never done computer based music / recording myself.

I've seen the rest of the thread and thought I'd chip in with an alternative option.  Some digital mixers these days will allow you to record direct so if you have access to something like a Behringer X Air you could do the track in analogue on the Zoom and then use the L and R inputs on the mixer to digitize.

The only need for a computer would be to upload the digital track to soundcloud.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

... something like a Behringer X Air ...

That, in essence, is the solution adopted, but using the Behringer UFO-202 instead of the X-Air (£18 instead of £400...). OK, maybe a few less options, but the music gets into the PC, which is the objective..! B|

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions gents, it's all good info which is new to me and therefore worth knowing.... I've got in addition an old ish Behringer mixer, but it's just a regular mixer with faders and a bit of eq, so probably not quite the kind of thing Nicko had in mind ! The 202 thing arrived, and I'll have a play with it all over the next few days.. Again, much appreciated all the advice 👍

• Thanks 1

As I'm having to isolate for ten days so I've actually found time to make an entry for the first time in ages.

For some reason I keep on including vocals despite my innate lack of ability to sing or write lyrics.... Sorry! 

Edited by Rikki1984
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Rikki1984 said:

...(By the way, if someone could let me know how to embed a soundcloud link like the rest of you have I'd appreciate it - I can't work it out!)

I click on 'Share' in Soundcloud, then select the link text in the box that follows. I paste this into the BC post and... Voilà..!

Edited by Dad3353
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I click on 'Share' in Soundcloud, then select the link text in the box that follows. I paste this into the BC post and... Voilà..!

I just cut and paste the address.

On 06/07/2021 at 16:14, Dad3353 said:

That, in essence, is the solution adopted, but using the Behringer UFO-202 instead of the X-Air (£18 instead of £400...). OK, maybe a few less options, but the music gets into the PC, which is the objective..! B|

Major snag, i plug the 202 thing into the craptop.... nothing... No acknowledgement on screen or owt...  The little green light on the 202 lights up but not talking to computer..

I'm sure any 12 year old could sort it in a moment, unfortunately don't have one to hand right now!

3 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Major snag...

Have you gone through the process described here, in the 'spoiler'..?

How to set up the Behringer 'thingie' ...

Having found my one, I wanted to check that it works, and, by following the 'spoiler' above, it worked straight away. We'll go over it step by step if need be; read the 'spoiler' first and we'll continue from there ...

Nothing happens when i click that but assume its the stereo malarkey in a post earlier.. which i read, it didnt get that far! I looked online and found a utube vid stating that these things no longer plug and play after some 2017 windows update, and you have to download a driver despite what beringer say ! This driver seems very elusive and its going beyond my pay grade already !