Why become a member? ×

Judas Priest's Rocka Rolla: Hard Rock or Heavy Metal?

Judas Priest's Rocka Rolla: Heavy Metal or Hard Rock?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Hard Rock or Heavy Metal?

• Heavy Metal
    • Hard Rock

On this side of the Big Wet Thing there's a distinct difference between Punk and Punk Rock. The Exploited do Punk. The Ramones, Blondie and Green Day do Punk Rock.

But this was about Heavy Metal. It needs to pretend to be heavy to be HM. Hair Metal and shock rock are not heavy metal.

Lots of stuff gets lumped in as Glam Metal, but take Mötley Crüe's debut, that's some heavy hard-hitting stuff, no Glamour.

How would there be Punk w/o Rock?

it's a sub-genre of Rock & Roll, much like Heavy Metal

Or do you mean the Punk that was derived from Ska?

A agree that a Shock Rock act like Alice Cooper wasn't Heavy Metal, but... he evolved into Glam Metal, probably around the same time KISS tried it.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
the obvious - spelling

9 hours ago, bode said:

The Cure were being commercial though. Labelled as Goth because they looked Goth.

I once heard a presenter on some silly Saturday morning TV show announce the new single from Goth band The Cure. They proceeded to show the video for “Why can’t I be you.” Pure pop with the band dressed up as furry multicoloured animals. Very Goth.

I’m not keen on pigeon holing music. Even being commercial is seen as a sin. A good record is still good even if it appeals to more people.

• Like 2

As an example of why labels are only really good for marketing. If I was asked if I liked heavy metal I would answer no. Yet if anyone were to browse my music collection they would find: Sabbath, Motörhead, AC/DC, Metallica, Deep Purple, Guns and Roses, Ramstein, Down, Kyuss, Tool, Machinehead et al. Am I a closet heavy metal, heavy rock or stoner rock fan and does it really matter?

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

No. -_-

Not sure if your being sarcastic or not. Of course it doesn’t matter what I like. I was only trying to illustrate that good music finds an audience. I feel for artists that get pigeon holed and are expected to conform to type throughout their career.
Hard to have any musical integrity if your expected to churn out stuff year after year that may no longer be reflective of your current life experience.

39 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Not sure if your being sarcastic or not. Of course it doesn’t matter what I like. I was only trying to illustrate that good music finds an audience. I feel for artists that get pigeon holed and are expected to conform to type throughout their career.
Hard to have any musical integrity if your expected to churn out stuff year after year that may no longer be reflective of your current life experience.

Are you suggesting rich and successful bands can only write about being rich and successful?

3 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Are you suggesting rich and successful bands can only write about being rich and successful?

Nope I’m saying what motivates and inspires you at 50 will be a bit different than what motivates and inspires you at 20. Record companies and fans to an extent may also make demands that an artist should not change or try new ideas.

Edited by tegs07

On 01/07/2021 at 20:58, Killed_by_Death said:

J,P. are like Motörhead, in that their original lineup is NOT the lineup everyone came to love.

Allan Atkins formed the first Judas Priest:

jp1.jpg

Where's me washboard?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Not sure if your being sarcastic or not..

Oh, quite definitely sarcasm, but not aimed at your tastes in music at all. No, it's the (to me...) incomprehensible bickering over who played what in which genre at any one time, before/after another, who was first, when was the genre 'created' et al. Does that matter..? Not one jot, except to a couple of nerds feeling challenged because such-and-such a band were 'falsely' labelled such-and-such. I doubt that musical archaeologists will delve far into any of these µ-genres in a century or so; some of these crazes last less than a week, these days. Does it matter..? Not a jot. Is it fun to discuss such stuff..? Why not, have at it, but is it 'important'..? I think not; the World remains on its axis. :friends:

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Oh, quite definitely sarcasm, but not aimed at your tastes in music at all. No, it's the (to me...) incomprehensible bickering over who played what in which genre at any one time, before/after another, who was first, when was the genre 'created' et al. Does that matter..? Not one jot, except to a couple of nerds feeling challenged because such-and-such a band were 'falsely' labelled such-and-such. I doubt that musical archaeologists will delve far into any of these µ-genres in a century or so; some of these crazes last less than a week, these days. Does it matter..? Not a jot. Is it fun to discuss such stuff..? Why not, have at it, but is it 'important'..? I think not; the World remains on its axis. :friends:

C'mon. Places like BC or TB would only be half (or probably even less) the fun without these discussions.

Is it important? Well, that' s a rather philosophical question. What really matters in life? Of course it is not important. But then what is? Sure, we are all only discussing first world problems here. But that's why I joined BC a year ago in the first place. To have, for at least a few minutes or hours per day, a place, a digital sanctuary that is in a galaxy, far, far away from the Covid nightmare world we are in and affected by to varying degrees.  

So, hope everyone is having a good time and take it easy 🤩

• Like 3

On 03/07/2021 at 15:37, tegs07 said:

Being pigeon holed is essential. You can't market Bon Jovi to a Slayer fan. Guys like Paul Weller are still trading off their Mod image. Apart from the stuff he did recently with the BBC Symphony Orchestra...not really impressed when artists do that...feel bad for the orchestra!

• Haha 2