Why become a member? ×

Drop C string recommendations

Finbar

Collective drop-tuned bassists of Basschat, help me out. 

I have a bass (34" scale P/J) that I have in drop D tuning, and I've been really struggling to find good strings. Looking for recommendations! 

The low C always seems too floppy, but buying 5 string sets and binning the E to get a 125ish gauge C means that the rest of the strings are too light.

I've been buying the DR DDT 55-115s (the ones with the spider on the front!), and I generally like the sound and feel of them, it's just the tension on the low string that's rough. Amazing at D, but floppy and loses intonation at C.

So any suggestions on sets which are built for Drop C? :)

I would recommend Newtone as well. I used to use Kallium but switched to Newtones as easier to get hold of and a better price. I found they sound great and will help you with gauges if needed.

In the past i have used light 5 string sets and instead of throwing the E string throw the G string.

Link: i have used these from Rotosound.

Drop C is an awkward tuning due to the difference in string tensions between the strings. Most off the shelf string packs, even ones 'designed' for downtuning are generally designed for tuning all the strings down by the same amount, rather than tuning the low string a whole step lower than the other strings. That is the reason I didn't like the DR DDT 115-55 strings for Drop C, the high strings were way too tight and the low string were way too floppy. However I love the DDT guitar strings.

D'addario have a 'balanced tension' set of 120-50 (120, 90. 67, 50) strings which is great for D standard and drop C. Also much cheaper than going the Newtone or Kalium route as you can get a set for about £20. Another decent but not too expensive set is the GHS Bass Boomers Heavy set 115-55 which I generally thought was good value at £20 quid.

I used the D'addarios pretty much exclusively for 7-8 years until recently. However, I did find that I was changing the D'addario strings a lot when gigging and rehearsing (generally every 4-6 weeks) so the cost added up! However, the cost of the D'addarios was less than I would have been paying if I had been changing custom made sets for double the price every 6 weeks! 

I now use a set of single Elixirs (130, 95, 70 50) for my drop C tuning uses. They are expensive but they last for ages provided you like the initial tone and feel (I do). A 130 would be a bit tight for using for D standard, so if I needed the bass to do D standard too I would probably use a 125 or 120. 

Buying singles of your favourite brands of strings is also a good idea once you have worked out your preferred tension. Again, D'addario have an online string tension app but there are plenty of other ones available. String tension itself isn't the be all and end all (one gauge will feel way different on one bass compared to another), but it is helpful place to start. 

Pyramid Strings have a drop C set too but I have never used them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thodrik said:

Drop C is an awkward tuning due to the difference in string tensions between the strings. Most off the shelf string packs, even ones 'designed' for downtuning are generally designed for tuning all the strings down by the same amount, rather than tuning the low string a whole step lower than the other strings. That is the reason I didn't like the DR DDT 115-55 strings for Drop C, the high strings were way too tight and the low string were way too floppy. 

This has been exactly my experience with them. Which is a shame, as I do like them as strings in terms of feel and tone. 

Going to explore the Newtone option I think, as well as the D'addario set you mentioned. I've found it difficult to find these gems for some reason (and I think my Googling skills are dece!), so thankyou everyone :)