Why become a member? ×

Favourite 'inspirational' musician quotes

If you are anything like me - or like I was over 40 years ago, when I first started playing - you avidly read everything you come across about players and playing for some insight or gobbet of wisdom that will set you on the path to virtuosity.  Most of these pearls of wisdom I've long since forgotten but some may have, for a time, informed my playing and development to a greater or lesser extent.  My own favourite which, if memory serves (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) was from Billy Sheehan who, when asked what his advice to young bass players was, said of music theory "Learn everything - then forget it".  Took me a few years to understand what he meant but was hugely liberating when I did.

So, let's hear the quotable quotes that made an impression on you and helped you with your playing. 

57 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

“They wouldn’t know a string quartet from a string vest”

Sid Vicious

Asked if he played for the man in the street, the late, former Sex Pistol said: “Nah, I’ve met the man in the street - and he’s a ****.”

"David and Nigel are like poets, you know, like Shelley or Byron, or people like that. The two totally distinct types of visionaries, it’s like fire and ice, and I feel my role in the band is to be kind of the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, lowdown said:

"Have you heard any Stockhausen?"  Sir Thomas Beecham was asked. "No, but I believe I have stepped in some."

Well if we are talking about Sir Tom 🤣

To a lady cellist:

"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it." - Sir Thomas Beecham

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Well if we are talking about Sir Tom 🤣

To a lady cellist:

"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it." - Sir Thomas Beecham

I was hoping someone else would post it...:lol:

Sir Thomas was responsible for some very funny moments. He had terrific wit.

Thomas Beecham Quotations (46 Quotations) | QuoteTab

• Thanks 1