Why become a member? ×

Moog minitaur urgent help please .. update

I purchased one from ebayer this morning . 
No sound,! 
Just wondering if I purchased a dud ,and will have to return ASAP 

Things I have done so far

Plugged in to my Mac via us, registered and downloaded software 

Software looks all good ..except the volume knob doesn't move around while the others do 

I have plugged my DFAM into the input jacks ...nothing .

My iMac plus everything else is plugged into my usb mixer . 
I also tried the DFAM through the Minitaur Hadphones to see if that works . Again, nothing .

I also plugged my oxygen 25 keyboard into GarageBand and Reason and played the usb pianos in those and ..nothing . 
The oxygen 25 was connected straight into the Mac as it only has usb ..

I also plugged bass guitar into Minitaur input ...again nothing . 

What I haven't done : used midi cable from Grandmother to Minitaur .

Does anyone think I've missed out something , or should I return item ? 

Thanls in advance 

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

4 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Panic over 

I connected the rather large old m-  Audi o radium 49 keyboard into it  with midi cables . 🤦
All is now well . 
A bit odd that the dfam didn't work on it , but as a midi synth it is awesome .

If going into the external input, you’ll need to turn up the input dial (which I think is a secondary function on one of the knobs, if not using the editor). If you’re trying to trigger from other devices, you’ll need to make sure they’re on the same MIDI channel. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

If going into the external input, you’ll need to turn up the input dial (which I think is a secondary function on one of the knobs, if not using the editor). If you’re trying to trigger from other devices, you’ll need to make sure they’re on the same MIDI channel. 

Thanks @Quatschmacher 

I went through the basic prreferences in GarageBand and reason checking the inputs etc. The Minitaur is recognised now, but still same issue.

A friend of mine who is a keyboard geek , will nip over tomorrow and he'll probably sort it out for me in a few minutes . 
Then we go for coffee, or beer . 
I'll update tomorrow . 
It looks like there's nothing wrong with the Minitaur , and I'm one of those guys who always leaves great feedback on eBay and hopefully I can do that tomorrow all going well..

Okaaay...

Slightly complicated to explain , but I have success .

There are the various solutions that I have ..
Worth baring in mind that the usb plus output must always be plugged into computer and mixer . 

1) midi out from moog grandmother into minitaur  . ( I think that I also used grandmothers usb as well at one stage ) The grandmother acts as midi controller.

2) on Reason  using the Midi Out Device Rack  works perfectly 

3) GarageBand ; When I click Plug Ins , Minitaur Editor is recognised and works perfectly . However, it doesn't appear as a track so cannot be recorded As it does not appear as a track . 
Perhaps ( if I could be bothered as I am running out of usb sockets on Mac ) is I could use my old line 6 toneport ux1 and plug the minitaur output into that.Using the minitaur like plugging a guitar into the ux1 . 

There is one other thing ; my friend recommended a cheap 4Channel Midi interface as I have a few other midi devices . Initially the minitaur was not recognised on the Sub Zero device I purchased . I may try this on GarageBand later . 

So all in all , progress has been made .  I do need a usb hub for my 2018 iMac and I may treat myself to Logic Pro as a Christmas present as I know the minitaur will work on that . Plus it looks like GarageBand of course, which as a semi novice bedroom hobbyist is fun and easy to use . 

I think that's as good as it gets , but of course your thoughts are appreciated 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay , I finally know the score ...

1) GarageBand finally recognises the minitaur . 
2) GarageBand will not recognise the minitaur software . 
3) Reason does everything no problem 

4) I purchased Reason  a few years ago, plus latest upgrade , but it looks too complicated compared to GarageBand which I'm used to . This means I find it a barrier which I should really tackle .

5) Looks like I'll treat myself to Logic Pro  at some stage ,as it is the most logical thing to do after GarageBand .

The minitaur will be recognised straight away on logic .

...and there you have it ! 

There was one other line of thought . That was seeing if it was worth investigating whether there is a  u s b to MIDI cable that would go from my oxygen 25 keyboard directly into the minitaur . After all of this malarkey , I won't bother .

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, prowla said:

So, here's something I need to get set up, which will hopefully allow me to play my Minitaur from a Rickenbacker bass...

ric-bart-64h-210803ab.thumb.jpg.0893d015ee0aecb2b29fa4196d243adc.jpg

808171498_rolandGM-70-210910aa.thumb.jpg.b7d8bf2a6bf2bdd0b599a290b5084bdf.jpg

ric-bart-64h-210803af.thumb.jpg.e585a01a00ebed8c8885cb701cd1897c.jpg

It might be a while before I get it set up, though...

This is interesting ...and potentially annoying ! 😾😸 

Looks like something else I have to add . Let me know how you get on with it ! 
While I'm here , I'll just mention that  currently I have dfam / grandmother/ Taurus all linked .  😼👍

• Like 1