Why become a member? ×

"A Brief History of Upside-Down Guitarists"

Agent 00Soul

Today's email blast from online music empire Reverb features a video and article about what they call upside-down guitarists, that is left-handed players who play lefty, but with the strings reversed (the low string is on the bottom).  The vast majority of these players seem to have learned this way simply because they picked up right-handed models, flipped them over into the more comfortable/natural left-handed position, and never changed the string order.  It looks like a lot of people featured were self-taught and didn't know any better, although some, including host Malina Moye, knew but preferred it upside-down:

https://reverb.com/news/a-brief-history-of-upside-down-guitarists-with-malina-moye

No bassists, but I have seen photos of lefties who do the same thing.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I played lefty from the beginning and like many, I flipped the bass and played it with lefty-ing the strings.  Same with guitar.  Got somewhat proficient and then flipped the strings too. I can play either way, though I prefer, by far, playing with that thick E string staring at me.