Why become a member? ×

Best pickguard for 70s style P bass. Black/white/black

police squad

I'm putting together a bitsa Precision

A recreation of a bass I first had in 1988. It was late 70s, schaller 3-D bridge , maple board, black/white/black pickguard

question is, what pickguard should I buy. WD do one, about 40 quid. It's very good but seems a bit expensive

ideas please good people

Just bought one of these. It’s good quality and at £15 good value. However this doesn’t have the notch for the truss rod adjustment at the heel of the neck.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Precision-Bass-guitar-Scratchplate-High-Quality-Made-in-Japan-/111992545213?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Velarian said:

Just bought one of these. It’s good quality and at £15 good value. However this doesn’t have the notch for the truss rod adjustment at the heel of the neck.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Precision-Bass-guitar-Scratchplate-High-Quality-Made-in-Japan-/111992545213?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

looks good

6 hours ago, Dov65 said:

Look this seller up on ebay, I've had umpteen guards made including several one - off's. Shed load cheaper than WD & excellent workmanship. He's based in Glasgow 

Screenshot_20210702-065120_eBay.jpg

They do look good, available with or without the truss rod notch. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Precision-Bass-Pickguard-fits-US-scratchplate-various-colours-/112609810033?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 1

I have literally just received and fitted a plate today from Brian (earlpilanz) it was custom cut from my original and returned by Special Delivery in super fast time - also very reasonable, good quality and a perfect fit. I dealt direct with Brian via this email [email protected] - he's quick to reply too. Definitely recommended.

Edited by redbandit599
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redbandit599 said:

I have literally just received and fitted a plate today from Brian (earlpilanz) it was custom cut from my original and returned by Special Delivery in super fast time - also very reasonable, good quality and a perfect fit. I dealt direct with Brian via this email [email protected] - he's quick to reply too. Definitely recommended.

I'll see what the one I've already bought is like, if it's no good I'll send it back

• Like 1

On 02/07/2021 at 15:32, police squad said:

I'll see what the one I've already bought is like, if it's no good I'll send it back

If it does turn out to be no good, this WD one is currently looking quite cheap:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-precision-bass-scratchplate-/154510095087?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

On 02/07/2021 at 13:41, redbandit599 said:

Ordered a black one from him just now. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Like 1

On 02/07/2021 at 07:01, Dov65 said:

Look this seller up on ebay, I've had umpteen guards made including several one - off's. Shed load cheaper than WD & excellent workmanship. He's based in Glasgow 

Screenshot_20210702-065120_eBay.jpg

This chap has made a couple for me as well. He does good work and is a decent bloke as well.
I had one guard that was bespoke and didn’t fit due to some miscommunication and he was very accommodating. 

Massive thanks again on here for the link to Brian's eBay shop.

Got the PG, and it's a superb piece of kit. Absolutely the equal of the real deal. Truss rod hole, shielded - and super quick.....even if Hermes decided to just dump it on the step in the boiling sun.

Lucky my Postie work colleague was passing, and put it out of harms way. Near miss!

NorthWest Guitars do Fender fit pickguards in a variety of finishes for 15 and a bit quid. Here's the one I've just recently fitted to my Squier CV 70's P, the screw holes matched up perfectly.

2014 SQ CV 70's.jpg

• Like 1