Why become a member? ×

MXR Phase90. Question

danny-79

Hi all, got a similar question going on in another thread that’s started the ball rolling (pedal is with someone who will carry work out just asked me for suggestions) 

In short I’m wanting to add a eternal trim pot so I can adjust the output as at the moment the volume drop when the phaser kicks in is too much, needs booting. 

Uping the value of the output resistor is one option but a trim pot would definitely be nice for obvious reasons. Diagrams, photos, etc what I’m asking you for please and thank you 😊 

Cheers ! Dan 

Edited by danny-79

You may be better off just grabbing a phaser that has a volume control or doesn't have the same level of drop?  I don't particularly remember the Phase 90 being too unique amongst phasers.

Although I'd double check meter readings etc to measure the apparent drop, as ears can be deceiving due to their nature.

• Like 1

I found the EHX Switchblade Pro useful for this sort of thing - put the phaser in a loop and you can control its level and how much clean is mixed in, also how much of the second loop is mixed in and if it's parallel or series. And then it can switch the loop order e.g. Phaser before/after overdrive. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

Hei man, after your disappointment with the Ripley fall, are you certain you don't have some other issue causing the drop in volume? I just mention it as my phase 90, if anything adds a little bump to my level.. or perceived at least

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jbu09 said:

Hei man, after your disappointment with the Ripley fall, are you certain you don't have some other issue causing the drop in volume? I just mention it as my phase 90, if anything adds a little bump to my level.. or perceived at least

That was the conclusion I was coming to but after testing with various different basses, guitars, amps, cabs and locations for the same result. 

Ive got a second MXR Phase90 that I brought around 2014, it’s been on permanent loan to my dad, I brought that into A/B with and that one sounds great, cuts in and out seamlessly so really don’t know. 
the new one is currently with my electronic friend. It should be coming back with a trim pot fitted to the output so I’ll see how that goes when i get it back 

• Like 1