Why become a member? ×

Headrush FRFR 112 Powered Cab

Nibody

I parted company with my rig at the weekend (and Im pretty sure a couple of basses will be following it.. Im looking at you Spectors...) as with a lovelly combination of Spondylosis, a possible trapped artery in the neck and calcification of said artery, I am not going to be playing live in a hurry if at all. Cast my reservations to the wind and decided to buy a Headrush to go with my recently purchased HX Stomp. Have to say my initial impressions are very favourable. Granted in a terraced house with paper thin walls I cant quite "give it the beans", but at a reasonable volume it sounded no better or worse than amps Ive owned. If anything it has more bottom end which suprised me.

Anyone know where "unity gain" is on the HX Stomp output? Currently have the output level at 12 oclock.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

Ive switched to a headrush too. Very pleased so far. Couple of loud rehearsals and a a gig and I’ve had no issues. 

Are you using the 112 or the 108? I decided on the 12 just in case. Mixed with the HX stomp and an MS60B running in the HX's FX loop I dont think I will ever need another rig.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

I’m using the 112 and have just purchased a second hand alto ts312 which should be interesting to compare when it arrives. 

I did see a video on YouTube comparing the two - both slightly different. You'll have to do a thread when you get it - I asume you can theoreticaly chain the two together (as you can do with two Headrush cabs)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Triumph_Rock said:

Being that these are FRFR cabs are you guys going to be using them with modeling amps?

Using mine with the Amp models on both the Helix HX Stomp and Zoom MS-60B (I have my MS-60B connected to the HX Stomp's FX Loop and accessable through a patch). Have also tried my Ampeg SCR-DI straight in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gafbass02 said:

I use mine with a zoom b9.1. Although ts312 not happening now. I took today off to take delivery and Andertons didn’t send it. So I’ve asked for a refund, no time to chase round after a rescheduled delivery. 

Ouch. I (and a few guys I know) have had Andertons really drop the ball in the last few years. One Buddy was sent completely the wrong guitar (in the right colour at least!??) and had to argue back and forth as they insisted it was what he ordered.. till he pointed out the abscence of a S1 switch on it. Another paid for a guitar that was ordered in from the US, and when it arrived at Andertons they promptly sold it to someone else before it was dispatched. I had a running argument with them over a set of pickups I ordered and paid for but kept getting fobbed off over. They used to be brilliant, great customer service but not what I've found recently. Think they got too big too soon with the YouTube fame etc

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevie said:

Isn't this a guitar cab? If it were mine, I'd be making sure it'll handle bass at more than bedroom level.

They are quite widely used for bass too, both as stand alone and monitoring - it isn't a guitar cab per se, closer to a powered PA speaker (Hence the full range). And as Gaffbass02 has said he uses his for both gigs and rehersal with no issues.

• Like 2

Bought one of these back in 2018 mainly for use as a monitor.  Was suitably impressed by the handling and abuse it was capable of dealing with so much so that I started to use it as my back line for small to medium gigs.  Must mention that I’ve not gigged it with a 5 string, yet.

Had the 108, I’m sure it’s great for guitar, monitoring and maybe quieter situations but even at home it strained under 4 string use.  Swapped it for a used 112.  Can even go stereo now…

I tend to use mine upright (in conjunction with a mini speaker stand) in gig situations, so can be placed in the oddest of spaces thanks to the small footprint.

Overall - it’s cheap, multi functional and leads to much fun buying up every preamp you can think of to pair it up with.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I bought a 112 and a Helix Stomp earlier this week. My first Impression of the Headrush wasn’t favourable, as everything sounded boomy, and there was little top end response. However, last night I turned off the speaker modelling on the Helix patches I was using, and the tones were a lot closer to what I was expecting - when playing solo. However, when playing with the band there was no low end presence/ ‘heft’!

is these something obvious I am missing, or is there a way of achieving a happy medium? I’m thinking that there must be as others seem very happy with this set up.

Thanks.

On 09/03/2024 at 19:51, BassmanPaul said:

@Nibody I'm sorry for your medical woes. Having lived through two heart attacks, open heart surgery nd three strokes I feel for you. I hope that you re much improved as you read this missive. :)

Thanks buddy. Saddly its got worse though they found the artery wasnt calcified. The Spondylosis has hit both my neck/shoulders and my lower back so I'm walking with a stick and on pretty industrial strength pain killers and had to give up my driving licence on medical grounds. I don't come on here much now, and dont get to play much - too painful (though I do still try! Wife bought me an old Trace Elliot GP12SMXX that lives in the living room) Can't cope with more than 5 or ten minutes though. Keep meaning to offload my gear as I'll never play live and my kids have no interest but.. its like throwing away pictures of a lost family member - just can't do it.

• Sad 1

I fully understand my friend. I don't play out any more so am slowly divesting myself of my :stuff.' I did have a pretty sweet offer but the thought of having to load in my gear, play to two or three in the morning, load out all in bars/clubs downtown Toronto left me cold. So I passed on the offer. A year ago I would have jumped right in. 

Stay safe.

Having dealt with Andertons over several purchases in the last few years, I have to disagree. 

I have had to deal with their Customer Support dept over two puchases. One returned when I changed my mind and more recently, needed a change of of delivery address. It was so easy even though both issues were of my making. 

On 29/06/2021 at 18:51, gafbass02 said:

I’m using the 112 and have just purchased a second hand alto ts312 which should be interesting to compare when it arrives. 

Our guitarist uses an Alto TS410. He looked at the Headrush and found very little difference between it and the Alto, but he wanted a 10" cab. He didn't feel any difference in sound was significant.