Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

1 hour ago, Clarky said:

Just stumbled across this thread. Saw several of the bands mentioned in the early 80s including Birthday Party and Bauhaus (on same bill in 1981, flyer below), the Banshees, the Bunnymen, plus two bands I have also seen much more recently A Certain Ratio and 23 Skidoo. Great to see ACR still banging out new materials on Mute Records and touring.

Oh and I also saw Throbbing Gristle and Surgical Penis Klinik, which was not so enjoyable!

Screenshot_20220111-230503_Chrome.jpg

The most exciting, most violent gig of my Sorry little life The Birthday Party with support from SPK at the Electric Ballroom. £3 ffs. Extraordinary night, one of my mates lost half his ear in that crowd. SPK had sheep skulls on sticks dotted about the stage, they threw them into the crowd once they’d finished, a mate of mine caught one and suddenly went white, the skulls still had eyeballs inside and his finger had gone straight through one, the stench was epic. The Birthday Party were just a huge cloud of dry ice with NC occasionally emerging clutching a bottle of Jack Daniels and a mic screaming madly. I remember escaping up on to the balcony and thinking a) it looked like the Somme and b) It’s not going to get any better than this, and guess what? It hasn’t.

694BEC39-2063-4A9F-B9AA-9748CFC5CC78.thumb.jpeg.e1df182600a5f8475c81231e06efde66.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Sorry for the late reply Sir. First released in 1981.

I think they re-named the band and re-released it? Deffo 1979 - killer song!:

Notes

"We recorded it at Spaceward up in Cambridge; just went in and did it all in one day [on September 2nd, 1979]".

https://www.discogs.com/release/2260214-The-Licks-1970s-EP

7 hours ago, NAS Bass said:

I think they re-named the band and re-released it? Deffo 1979 - killer song!:

Notes

"We recorded it at Spaceward up in Cambridge; just went in and did it all in one day [on September 2nd, 1979]".

https://www.discogs.com/release/2260214-The-Licks-1970s-EP

Ah, I had no idea, and that was the version I owned!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

The most exciting, most violent gig of my Sorry little life The Birthday Party with support from SPK at the Electric Ballroom. £3 ffs. Extraordinary night, one of my mates lost half his ear in that crowd. SPK had sheep skulls on sticks dotted about the stage, they threw them into the crowd once they’d finished, a mate of mine caught one and suddenly went white, the skulls still had eyeballs inside and his finger had gone straight through one, the stench was epic. The Birthday Party were just a huge cloud of dry ice with NC occasionally emerging clutching a bottle of Jack Daniels and a mic screaming madly. I remember escaping up on to the balcony and thinking a) it looked like the Somme and b) It’s not going to get any better than this, and guess what? It hasn’t.

694BEC39-2063-4A9F-B9AA-9748CFC5CC78.thumb.jpeg.e1df182600a5f8475c81231e06efde66.jpeg

SPK and Birthday Party, too awesome (as is TG & SPK). I'm jealous!!

oh! I've got the SPK set on a cd in 7 CD boxset!

Edited by bartelby
  • Like 1

Not sure if we've had any Buttholes yet... Seeing them at the Mean Fiddler was probably the most violent gig I ever went to (though the Modernaires at Chester Gateway ran it close!); There was a mini riot outside in the crowd who couldn't get in, there was a hail of glasses thrown at the stage for some reason, one of which cut Gabby quite badly. Though he barely flinched - he set himself on fire a bit later (as you do). 

• Like 2

Found it, here's the flyer for Throbbing Gristle and SPK gig I attended (I really went to see ACR). SPK didn't pull out any sheep's heads but TG had s disturbing video show featuring at one point a razor blade cutting into a large animal scrotum (goat or sheep?) with the b*llock then dropping out 🤢

Screenshot_20220112-090622_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

This was another cracking gig I went to in 1980 (on my birthday). The mighty Wah. Their bass player Washington had to leave the stage as he was sick so Julian Cope, who was in their entourage, jumped ip and jammed the bass for the rest of the gig.

Screenshot_20220112-091750_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Clarky

13 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Found it, here's the flyer for Throbbing Gristle and SPK gig I attended (I really went to see ACR). SPK didn't pull out any sheep's heads but TG had s disturbing video show featuring at one point a razor blade cutting into a large animal scrotum (goat or sheep?) with the b*llock then dropping out 🤢

Was that in Butler's Wharf?

EDIT: Just noticed "Charing Cross"

Edited by bartelby

On 12/01/2022 at 09:11, Clarky said:

I went to this gig.  Throbbing Gristle were great, except...Cosey Fanni Tutti stood with her back to the audience pretty much for the whole set and, to the disappointment of a mate, didn't take her top off.  This was the only time I ever saw TG but apparently Cosey Fanni Tutti would often perform topless on stage

Edited by BillyBass

22 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I went to this gig.  Throbbing Gristle were great, except...Cosey Fanni Tutti stood with her back to the audience pretty much for the whole set and, to the disappointment of a mate, didn't take her top off.  This was the only time I ever saw TG but apparently Cosey Fanni Tutti would often perform topless on stage

during the COUM Transmission period she spent most of her time naked… as a minimum.

2 hours ago, bartelby said:

during the COUM Transmission period she spent most of her time naked… as a minimum.

I had no idea she performed topless at TG gigs (the memory is vague but I'm sure I would have been aware of her other more X rated output).  My mate just kept saying..."She's going to get her t*ts out in a minute" or words to that effect.  She didn't but that wasn't important, the music (noise) was why I had bought the ticket and was prepared to face a long wait for a night bus home at 1 or 2 in the morning.  It would have been nice for her to have faced the audience at some time though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...