Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

On 19/10/2021 at 12:20, pineweasel said:

Somewhat unexpected news from the Gang of Four, they are touring the US next March with original members Jon King and Hugo Burnham, their 80s bassist Sara Lee, and Dave Pajo stepping into the shoes of Andy Gill.

https://www.gangoffour7781.com

Bit strange… pity they couldn’t reunite while Andy was still with us 🙁

On 19/10/2021 at 14:19, Sarlscharisma said:

Shame this one is no longer available.

I've still got my copy!

And I've still got my copy of the Bunnymen's 1st single, from when they had a drum machine. I remember seeing them at Chester Arts Centre, with Teardrop Explodes - £1 to get in iirc, and there was a huge punch up afterwards for some reason, but we managed to escape with inflicting or being inflicted!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I've still got my copy!

And I've still got my copy of the Bunnymen's 1st single, from when they had a drum machine. I remember seeing them at Chester Arts Centre, with Teardrop Explodes - £1 to get in iirc, and there was a huge punch up afterwards for some reason, but we managed to escape with inflicting or being inflicted!

I have that copy too in the attic.  Reminds me of the days of trawling through the bootleg tapes at record fairs as I had a lot of Bunnymen tapes - also in the attic but I doubt they will work now.  

• 3 weeks later...

Reminded of this more recent group as they were chosen by Idles (normally it's a listener who choses) for the "Trunk of Punk" feature on 6 music yesterday.  I think they are supporting Idles on the tour too. Sounded a bit post punk to me.

The other two they chose were Discharge and Crass.

Big Joanie - Baby Rust

I was going through a pretty dark patch in my early twenties. Both my parents passed away through illness. I'd bought a lot of records when I started working, catching up somewhat on what I couldn't afford in my teens.

But the current music was rather uninspiring on the whole. I liked The Cult and Guns & Roses and could have gone metal until I heard Gigantic EP by The Pixies on the radio.

Got me elements of proto-grunge and alternative rock. Kim Deal's playing got me good.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 13/11/2021 at 09:52, Nail Soup said:

Reminded of this more recent group as they were chosen by Idles (normally it's a listener who choses) for the "Trunk of Punk" feature on 6 music yesterday.  I think they are supporting Idles on the tour too. Sounded a bit post punk to me.

The other two they chose were Discharge and Crass.

Big Joanie - Baby Rust

Love Big Joanie!

seen them live a couple of times.

1 hour ago, bartelby said:

Love Big Joanie!

seen them live a couple of times.

I saw them support the Raincoats as an acoustic version a couple of years ago.

Electric bass, acoustic guitar, drums sripped back to two drums (I think that only entails removing one or two bits of kit!). All sitting down. Short but fantastic set.

The singer of BJ said she got talking to the drummer in the first place because she was wearing a Raincoats badge. And that's how BJ got formed.

• Like 1

Just stumbled across this thread. Saw several of the bands mentioned in the early 80s including Birthday Party and Bauhaus (on same bill in 1981, flyer below), the Banshees, the Bunnymen, plus two bands I have also seen much more recently A Certain Ratio and 23 Skidoo. Great to see ACR still banging out new materials on Mute Records and touring.

Oh and I also saw Throbbing Gristle and Surgical Penis Klinik, which was not so enjoyable!

Screenshot_20220111-230503_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1