Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

Deep Tan. Great note choices. Is it time? Is it not time for music to rebel? The Pop Tunes (?) Auto - Toons Times Is Over?

Is it not time for The PUNKS to take over/

Take Back the Music?

IS IT NOT TIME FOR THE OLD GEEZERS TO STRAP ON THEIR OLD STRING INSTRUMENNTS?

(and have the greatful children roadie?)

• Like 1

First heard this on the ITV 'Night Network' when the clueless Mick Brown (of Pat & Mick 'fame') was interviewing the band. This is the original Icelandic version and Bjork's voice cracks at 2:16 yet it adds to the otherness of the whole thing.

Edited by upside downer
  • Like 2

On 25/08/2021 at 19:36, Frank Blank said:

Big Fad Gadget head here. Some of his early gigs were amazing, man he used to injure himself chucking himself around. A sad loss.

Great band Fad Gadget. So different but still with it. I saw the post about the Dead Kennedys too. Great band but in the early 80's they played in Blackburn and tried to divide the audience and wanted us to fight. We'd been told about this before the gig as they did it the night before. When they tried it, we didn't take them on and told them to fook off. Unusual as we would have fought anyone in Blackburn. Great band who lost a lot of respect here unfortunately.

2 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Great band Fad Gadget. So different but still with it. I saw the post about the Dead Kennedys too. Great band but in the early 80's they played in Blackburn and tried to divide the audience and wanted us to fight. We'd been told about this before the gig as they did it the night before. When they tried it, we didn't take them on and told them to fook off. Unusual as we would have fought anyone in Blackburn. Great band who lost a lot of respect here unfortunately.

That’s awful, how did they incite fighting?

7 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

That’s awful, how did they incite fighting?

By trying to physically split the audience down the middle and then waffling on about each side hated each other etc. Stupid really. I was only a kid and thought it was really childish of them.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

By trying to physically split the audience down the middle and then waffling on about each side hated each other etc. Stupid really. I was only a kid and thought it was really childish of them.

I'm hoping they were just proving some kind of point about artificial divides and factions. I guess they hoped no-none would go along with it.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2021 at 18:56, Nail Soup said:

Fad Gadget has passed me by somewhat :/, so I listened to @Leonard Smallspost without comparison the the original. Gave it a 'like'.

Now I've listened to the original plus a couple more. Good stuff also.

Thanks both!

God, that takes me back. When I was in the 6th form at school, one of our number used to constantly put his Fad tapes on our knackered old ghettoblaster. Over and over and over and berluddy over. At first it was ok, then it was tiresome, then it was irritating, then I wanted to throw him and it off a bridge. As a consequence I have what is probably an irrational hatred of all things Fad Gadget.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

God, that takes me back. When I was in the 6th form at school, one of our number used to constantly put his Fad tapes on our knackered old ghettoblaster. Over and over and over and berluddy over. At first it was ok, then it was tiresome, then it was irritating, then I wanted to throw him and it off a bridge. As a consequence I have what is probably an irrational hatred of all things Fad Gadget.

This is unsurprising, a lot of Fag Gadget fans are fanatical about him. I think he was excellent but not to the point of fanaticism.

On 05/10/2021 at 21:03, upside downer said:

First heard this on the ITV 'Night Network' when the clueless Mick Brown (of Pat & Mick 'fame') was interviewing the band. This is the original Icelandic version and Bjork's voice cracks at 2:16 yet it adds to the otherness of the whole thing.

Love it. I always thought of the Sugarcubes as a sort of Icelandic Cocteau Twins.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I'm hoping they were just proving some kind of point about artificial divides and factions. I guess they hoped no-none would go along with it.

Exactly the opposite unfortunately. They had fans fighting doing the same thing the night before.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

Love it. I always thought of the Sugarcubes as a sort of Icelandic Cocteau Twins.

I love the precursor bands to Björk, Þeyr, K.U.K.L the Icelandic post-punk scene was mad. I first saw Björk performing with K.U.K.L. in a squat near Vauxhall, astonishing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, upside downer said:

Weird old time for PiL in the late 80s. 'Happy?' was a decent follow up to 'Album' but it was the beginning of a slicker sound that sat uneasily alongside earlier works.

Absolutely. I give them the benefit of the doubt for having made my personal number one album of all time, Metal Box and another favourite, Flowers of Romance. I agree, from Album onwards their output was iffy but they’d get a pass for Death Disco on its own.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2021 at 18:48, itsmedunc said:

Jello Biafra was a phony. Never liked the DicKs.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Nice to see someone else putting up JAMC vids. 

Here's some live footage of the great Killing Joke playing Requiem

Forgot what a great tune this is. Does anyone have a link to the bass tab or a tutorial?