Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

52 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I'm sorry but IMO that is a truly awful version that loses almost everything that made the original single version so appealing.

Fad Gadget has passed me by somewhat :/, so I listened to @Leonard Smallspost without comparison the the original. Gave it a 'like'.

Now I've listened to the original plus a couple more. Good stuff also.

Thanks both!

34 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Fad Gadget has passed me by somewhat :/, so I listened to @Leonard Smallspost without comparison the the original. Gave it a 'like'.

Now I've listened to the original plus a couple more. Good stuff also.

Thanks both!

Big Fad Gadget head here. Some of his early gigs were amazing, man he used to injure himself chucking himself around. A sad loss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I'm sorry but IMO that is a truly awful version that loses almost everything that made the original single version so appealing.

No need to be sorry! 😀 

I remember buying the original single (still got it!) but hadn't heard the live version before.

And I quite like that too!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2021 at 10:03, Barking Spiders said:

Needed to rescue this thread from page 6. 

Here is a cracking tune from That Petrol Emotion, a band that pre-empted the indie-dance sounds of Madchester/Baggy by around 6 years. 

Strange that the O’Neils went from the Undertones to this.

Like them both though.

On 17/09/2021 at 10:03, Barking Spiders said:

Needed to rescue this thread from page 6. 

Here is a cracking tune from That Petrol Emotion, a band that pre-empted the indie-dance sounds of Madchester/Baggy by around 6 years. 

It’s strange how some bands just don’t get much recognition in terms of bookings and press.

I saw Jesus Jones live about 10 times in the late ‘80s despite never once setting off to see them. They were support acts on loads of big tours and got a lot of press.

I bought all of That Petrol Emotions albums and saw them live several times but could never understand how they were largely unrecognised and still playing pretty small venues. I would guess that this wasn’t solely down to booking agent etc, but them not fitting the look or sound of the time.

Edited by tegs07

5 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

How about Teenage Jesus and the Jerks?

I think they were one of those bands that sounded better on paper than in the actual listening!

Meanwhile, early Liverpool/Wirral synth post punkers, featuring my headmaster's son!

And can't remember if I've posted this already - but it's worth putting on again!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tegs07 said:

It’s strange how some bands just don’t get much recognition in terms of bookings and press.

I saw Jesus Jones live about 10 times in the late ‘80s despite never once setting off to see them. They were support acts on loads of big tours and got a lot of press.

I bought all of That Petrol Emotions albums and saw them live several times but could never understand how they were largely unrecognised and still playing pretty small venues. I would guess that this wasn’t solely down to booking agent etc, but them not fitting the look or sound of the time.

They were ahead of the time with their indie rock-dance crossover and it was the copycats that got into the limelight. Manic Pop Thrill, Babble and End of The Millennium..all came out a few years before the debut singles from The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays and then the rest of the Madchester/baggy sound. Yet TPE were way better than all that lot. I remember seeing them at the Town and Country club in Kentish Town and it was well attended so clearly they had a decent size fanbase.