Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

I've been playing Chairs Missing by Wire several times over the last couple of days. It really is a cracking album and one of the few I'd give 10/10 to, not a single filler track and full of variety but still cohesive. Hard to choose a fave track but here's a contender

• Like 1

Changing tack slightly, who are fave musicians of yours from the post punk and alt-rock genres, not just bass players but other instrument geezers. Many of the electric guitar players I like and rate as being original and recognisable are from bands in these genres e.g. John McGeogh (Magazine, SATB), Johnny Marr, Terry Bickers (House of Love), Joey Santiago (Pixies), Geordie Walker (Killing Joke), Graham Coxon (Blur), Andy Gill (Gang of 4). I much prefer these guys to the conventional 'classic rock' 'guitar heroes' who always get trotted in out in 'greatest' polls.  Drumwise there've been great and often overlooked players like Pete de Freitas (Echo ATB), Budgie (SATB), Chris Sharrock (Icicle Works) and Big Paul Ferguson (Killing Joke). A lot of great bass players have been mentioned a lot over the years so I wont say any more about them. So, bring 'em on.

• Like 1

Robert Smith(Cure) is a great guitarist and is largely overlooked in that role.  Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine), Keith Levine (PIL), Johnny Greenwood(Radiohead), John Lever (Chameleons) drummer, Sisters of Mercy (Doktor Avalanche) drummer.

And some lesser spoken of bass players from the genre.  No 1. is Steven Severin (SATB), David J (Bauhaus), Stan Stammers (Theatre of Hate, Spear of Destiny), Stuart Morrow (NMA).

I could go on but time for my Ovaltine.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Changing tack slightly, who are fave musicians of yours from the post punk and alt-rock genres, not just bass players but other instrument geezers. Many of the electric guitar players I like and rate as being original and recognisable are from bands in these genres e.g. John McGeogh (Magazine, SATB), Johnny Marr, Terry Bickers (House of Love), Joey Santiago (Pixies), Geordie Walker (Killing Joke), Graham Coxon (Blur), Andy Gill (Gang of 4). I much prefer these guys to the conventional 'classic rock' 'guitar heroes' who always get trotted in out in 'greatest' polls.  Drumwise there've been great and often overlooked players like Pete de Freitas (Echo ATB), Budgie (SATB), Chris Sharrock (Icicle Works) and Big Paul Ferguson (Killing Joke). A lot of great bass players have been mentioned a lot over the years so I wont say any more about them. So, bring 'em on.

I’ll nominate all of “The Bad Seeds” and PJ Harvey.

• Like 2

On 07/07/2021 at 22:20, Frank Blank said:

I saw Bauhaus many, many times back when they were in their pomp, some of the early gigs were so exciting, proper possessed madness, extraordinary.

On 08/07/2021 at 22:14, Harlequin74 said:

We were probably both in the same audience lol! 

I saw them play a few times, in 1980/1981.  Did anyone go to the gig at the Rock Garden in Covent Garden?  That was packed and some people didn't get in, that was when they started getting big in London

On 27/07/2021 at 10:02, Nail Soup said:

Townies of mine, UK Decay.... here's title track from the second release - The Back Cat:

Singer Abbo is often credited as the first to use the term 'Gothic' to describe the music.

On 27/07/2021 at 10:09, Frank Blank said:

I think UK Decay were the band I saw the most times by attending gigs where I wanted to see either the band they were supporting or the band supporting them. I must have seen them 15-20 times and not once in order to see them!

I too saw UK Decay loads of times when they were supporting other bands.  I thought they were really good though, not that I remember many of their songs.  I do remember that during one song their followers would all take off their studded belts and swing them round above their heads, not sure why.

20 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I saw them play a few times, in 1980/1981.  Did anyone go to the gig at the Rock Garden in Covent Garden?  That was packed and some people didn't get in, that was when they started getting big in London

I think I’m correct in saying Bauhaus played at The Rock Garden six times in 1979/80, none of which I attended unfortunately as I was dossing about with Killing Joke but my girlfriend at the time attended all the Rock Garden gigs as she was a big, big Bauhaus fan. The early, early Bauhaus gigs were mad but brilliant.

27 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I too saw UK Decay loads of times when they were supporting other bands.  I thought they were really good though, not that I remember many of their songs.  I do remember that during one song their followers would all take off their studded belts and swing them round above their heads, not sure why.

I remember liking them but there not being anything in particular that made them stand out from many other bands at the time. I liked the b. side of Unexpected Guest, a track called Dresden I seem to remember but other than that I don’t remember any of their songs despite seeing them so many times.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I remember liking them but there not being anything in particular that made them stand out from many other bands at the time. 

I think that's fair.  I did go to see them as headliners on occasion but that would only have been if no one else I liked was playing somewhere else.

We were spoilt for choice on occasion, they were good years.  I remember once having to choose between 999 and Joy Division on a particular night, both bands I had seen.  I choose 999 because they always put on a good show and played all their singles.

Adam &the Antz Peel session

Not strictly post punk but not mainstream punk either.

The 2nd song is about Westside Story, the first also has an anti racist element, unfortunately, Nick Kent and other NME journalists labelled them as Nazi, hence Dave Barbe, the drummer attacking a copy of the rag.  Adam and the Antz also wrote a song called 'Press Darlings' about music press journalists.

I saw them play over 20 times.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I saw them play over 20 times.

Man, I’m not saying how many times I saw Adam and the Ants, suffice to say Dirk Wears White Sox remains to this day one of my top five albums and I bet we have been in the same audience more than once!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I think I’m correct in saying Bauhaus played at The Rock Garden six times in 1979/80, none of which I attended unfortunately as I was dossing about with Killing Joke but my girlfriend at the time attended all the Rock Garden gigs as she was a big, big Bauhaus fan. The early, early Bauhaus gigs were mad but brilliant.

I dossed in a squat in Notting Hill one night after a Killing Joke gig, probably 1980, it was Killing joke's roadies squat and Youth was there too.  One of the girls in our group got shagged by Youth that night, her comment afterwards was "I could feel the grime against my body".  Youth was not a fan of soap and water was he!

5 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I used to live in a house with Dave! Nice bloke... Though I remember him coming down to my room to play his 1st single, which I hated, not being a fan of yer IndieJangle, but told him it was great 😃

👍 He always seemed to be a decent bloke. They were always fun live.

20 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I dossed in a squat in Notting Hill one night after a Killing Joke gig, probably 1980, it was Killing joke's roadies squat and Youth was there too.  One of the girls in our group got shagged by Youth that night, her comment afterwards was "I could feel the grime against my body".  Youth was not a fan of soap and water was he!

No, still isn’t.

• Haha 1