Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

2 hours ago, nige1968 said:

Wot no Cardigans?

On the topic of Cardigan mix-ups, I always got the Cardigans mixed up with Swedish contemporaries the Concretes.

Here's a couple from the debut album..... one upbeat,  one (my fave!) more Velvets-y.

Note: You can't Hurry Love is not a cover.

One of the best albums of the 80s is Call of the West by Wall of Voodoo (also one of the best band names). I see that on the Wiki page some plank called Geoff Barton only gave 4/10 in his review in Classic Rock. Knob'ead! So here's the lead single from it, the brilliant Mexican Radio

• Like 2

I know they've been mentioned earlier in the thread but here's The Cure using just a bass, a bass vi and drums to great effect, and visually a bass heavy video. What more do you need? 

Edit: I'd always assumed this was Gallup on bass and Smith on bass vi, but the video (and a TOTP vid I just watched) has them both using P basses. Was it two 4 strings, or a 4 and a vi? 

Edited by Maude
Question innit
  • Like 3

Going to add a touch of Bill Nelson…

First track has Bill channelling Devo and T Rex, and the second is by Fiat Lux and was produced by Mr Nelson.

Third track is back to Bill, and his New Wave electro-groove ways…

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Going to add a touch of Bill Nelson…

First track has Bill channelling Devo and T Rex, and the second is by Fiat Lux and was produced by Mr Nelson.

Third track is back to Bill, and his New Wave electro-groove ways…

What a brilliant era for Bill...

The Red Noise album "Sound on Sound" blew my mind in '79 and it still does today.

He still makes great music now, but "Sound on Sound" is a desert island disc for me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rushbo said:

What a brilliant era for Bill...

The Red Noise album "Sound on Sound" blew my mind in '79 and it still does today.

He still makes great music now, but "Sound on Sound" is a desert island disc for me.

It certainly was! I was really disappointed when Be Bop Deluxe split but bought Revolt Into Style when it came out (on blue or red vinyl, I think?!) and loved it.

I saw the band at Birmingham Odeon (or Town Hall?) and, again, loved it.

Whilst it wasn’t BBD, it was a definite progression from Drastic Plastic, which I really dug, esp. the more electro moments on the album (e.g. Electrical Language).

For me Bill Nelson is such an overlooked artist and musician…

• Like 1