Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

29 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I was there! Great gig!  Summer 1980, the sun was shining and every band was worth seeing.  

We were spoilt for choice in London at that time.  Wednesday evening Sounds and NME would come out and I would scour the gig pages to see what was on and would limit myself to just two or three gigs per week as that was all I could afford or didn't want to go to bed at 1:00 a.m. too often as I had a job.

I remember wishing I had been born just a year or two earlier so I could have seen the Sex Pistols but thinking back, I was a teenager at just the right time in just the right place.

The Music Machine in mornington cres. ( now Koko)  used to have gigs, with often 3 bands, literally every night of the week, Admittedly it was often pot luck as to what they were like, and bloody Classix Nouveux were on with annoying regularity, but always a lark, plus the always available little blue pills, three for a quid... Happy days :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

The Music Machine in mornington cres. ( now Koko)  used to have gigs, with often 3 bands, literally every night of the week, Admittedly it was often pot luck as to what they were like, and bloody Classix Nouveux were on with annoying regularity, but always a lark, plus the always available little blue pills, three for a quid... Happy days :)

Even if the bands were crap, you could get into the Music Machine after your gig somewhere else because it stayed open til about 3:00 a.m.  Luckily for me the N90 night bus outside would get me home! 

They used to hand out those little ticket/card things with money off coming gigs, which was sometimes handy.  They also had the best dressed bouncers in London, tuxedos and bow ties!  You would have been daft to mess with them though.

Didn't take the blue pills, Tuinal was my preference.

And I saw Classix Nouveaux loads of times!  "Tokyo, Tokyo is so far away..."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Great track. I'm now tempted to put up some Transglobal Underground which was formed by two of the guys in Furniture but they're not post punk/alt-rock so I'll resist the temptation. So, how about some Woodentops. Once again, they're another fave band of mine that never got that big break but were a big Peel fave.

The debut album Giant is an absolute cracker, from which comes this beaut

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I think there were always bands that seemed to be playing at every gig you went to...Girl were a bit like that.

You know that Andy Prince/CN is a member here?  His brother Victor played drums in a couple of things I was involved in at college in the late 70s.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Before they became a pop band,  the Thompson Twins were a 7-strong band of anarcho-squatters.

yeah  I used to have Set, which is cracking album, with this as the lead off single, made when there used to be a house load in the band

5 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Great track. I'm now tempted to put up some Transglobal Underground which was formed by two of the guys in Furniture but they're not post punk/alt-rock so I'll resist the temptation. 

Posted Temple Head on the ‘What Are You Listening to…’ thread the other day - still sounds great! 

Do you think there's an algorithm out there that can take three songs you like and work out your identity?

In case there is, here's something else from long ago. It's a song about American tourists.

Can I have this one too?

On 28/06/2021 at 18:03, Barking Spiders said:

Shriekback's stuff is chocka with tasty bass. Check out the tone on this alt-funk gem

Still one of my favourite bands. Care, Oil and Gold, the list goes on and on.

My Spine is the Bassline is repetitive bass bliss. 

Edited by itsmedunc
  • Like 2