Why become a member? ×

Post punk, alt-rock corner

10 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

At the heavier edge of what got lumped in with grunge, Tad were always great.

I saw Tad supporting Soundgarden, back in the day. During Tad's set someone from Soundgarden kept running across the stage, with a paper bag on their head, trying to distract the band. During Soundgarden's set Tad appeared in only his Y-fronts...

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, bartelby said:

I saw Tad supporting Soundgarden, back in the day. During Tad's set someone from Soundgarden kept running across the stage, with a paper bag on their head, trying to distract the band. During Soundgarden's set Tad appeared in only his Y-fronts...

Brilliant! Also saw them supporting SG. Tad was wearing a bright orange ten-gallon hat with GOD printed on the front. Not much else to say about that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Also, take the Jazzmaster off J Mascis and give him an acoustic. No Big Muff then, right? 0:35 for 10 seconds or so makes me laugh. Love it.

That's textbook J Mascis, can't even have an acoustic track without some ripping fuzz in the middle of it!

I love his playing, so languid and loose 😎

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MacDaddy said:

I was never a fan of Gunge, particularly not of any the bands that became big

Same here. I liked the alternative scene in the 80s but the 90s stuff was a bit heavy for my tastes. Obviously a lot of people did like it but just not for me.

The baggy scene of the early 90s featured lots of bands crossing indie guitar rock with grooves, the best known being the Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays. However, several years before this That Petrol Emotion were already doing this. Formed by the Undertones O'Neill brothers TPE were a far better band than anything the baggy scene threw up.

• Like 4

Here's another undeservedly overlooked band from the 80s/early 90s, despite them having critical success, being a Peel fave and having NME's 1988 AOTY. Here's a cracking tune..

What puzzles me is they were labelmates with Oasis while at Creation. If only Alan McGee had been as much behind HoL it might've been a different story.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

German mini-LP: very promising

Creation album: fantastic, still

First Fontana album: bobbins

The debut album is a total gem from start to finish and while the 'butterfly' album doesn't quite hit the same heights as consistently for me there are several tunes which are as good as anything on the Creation album e.g. I Don't Know Why I Love You, Never, Hannah and Shine On.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I find it hard to get why guitar bands like The Chameleons, The Sound and the House of Love got overlooked while The Smiths got so much critical kudos and decent UK sales. For me The Queen is Dead has to be one of the most critically overrated albums in any genre and Morrissey has a voice as annoying as wossisface from Rush.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Osiris said:

No mention of New Model Army yet, some fantastic bass playing on the first 2 albums, Vengeance and No rest for the wicked. Check out the title track of the second album;

I was gonna come round to them soonish and would've picked the same track to highlight Stuart Morrow's great pick playing. As it is this below might be my fave tune of theirs, especially the chorus

• Like 3