Why become a member? ×

Best/Worst gig you have been to

Peloquin

Mid '90s, a friend suggested we go to see Betty Carter at Ronnie Scott's. I didn't really know her. Surprisingly for a massive jazz fan who lived in reach of London he'd never been to Ronnie's, so he was amazed when we were seated right in front of the stage - which back before the smoking ban was where the non-smoking seats were.

Carter used to hire young local bands when she toured, and I can't remember who any of them were unfortunately, but she really made them sweat, and we were close enough to see the terror in their eyes! They did well though.

Melody Gardot at the Lowry in about 2010 was also pretty amazing - at one point she did Somewhere Over the Rainbow as a duet with her cellist, in which he strummed the cello across his knee like a guitar. (Somehow, inexplicably to me, my wife deduced from this that they were in a relationship - clearly a level of intuition reserved for either women or classical string players.)

I don't want to nominate a worst, but I do remember being disappointed with Björk in Manchester in probably 1999 - I guess I had high expectations because it was Björk but she basically just ran through the tracks on her current album, which sounded like they did on her current album. I believe this was the period she was dealing with a serious stalker though so maybe her heart wasn't in it.

1 hour ago, Cat Burrito said:

She'd refused to lift her top up and had been booed by the audience. It was really low rent. 

Even back then I would have considered that bullying to the extreme.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

A jazz trio in a gigantic symphony hall, FFS. Place was 80% empty and there was absolutely zero atmosphere. 

I've seen many jazz groups in symphony halls and they can work, but it seemed to me they often used to be poorly set up for sound reinforcement, however excellent they were for unamplified stuff. I think things have got better over the years though.

That reminds me of another great gig which was discovering the extraordinary Maria João who supported (I think) Wayne Shorter in (I think) the Royal Festival Hall one time. Unfortunately half the audience were only there to see (I think) Shorter and talked or got up to leave at intervals throughout João's set. Their loss though.

2 hours ago, Skybone said:

Best gigs?

Too many to recall, most happened at the aforementioned Planet X in Liverpool. Other notable mentions, Faith No More in a small venue with Chuck singing. GWAR. Mental band, superb gig. Explaining to the Taxi driver why I was covered in fake blood. Black Sabbath 1997 Reunion with Bill Ward.

Worst gigs?

Metallica Justice for All gig, just seemed to be going through the motions (Danzig were great though), Slayer South of Heaven tour, played my 4 favourite songs first, so I left part way through the 5th.

I went to the Justice tour 3 times just too see Danzig. No interest in Metallicrap at all.

Best - Thunder at the Astoria 2 (went expecting to be entertained but was blown away by the whole vibe and stagecraft. Saw them again at the Hammersmith and, whilst a bigger and more professional production, it didn’t have the same feel). Followed by Bruce Springsteen at Wembley and Jeff Beck at the Hammersmith ‘81(?).

Worst - Hmm, either Walter Trout (boring) or one of Wishbone Ash’s lack lustre performances.

Best..? Maybe the very first: the Godshill IOW 'festival', 1968. Seeing Jefferson Airplane, Fairport Convention, Pretty Things, Blonde On Blonde and more... 25s entry (that's £1.25 in modern money...). Splendid. Many others; too many to list, but that first exposure was the start of... Well, everything, really. B|

Worst..? Quite a few, since, but special mention for The Ox (Brunel University...), playing dreadfully, dreadfully loud. Mention, too, for so many concerts and festivals spoilt by the (at the time...) omnipresent Edgar Broughton Band. ¬¬

• Like 1

Best - I can't choose, so either Q Tips at The Lakers Hotel in Redhill early 1980, or Springsteen at St James Park in 1985

Worst - Bad Manners at Bristol University Students Union in 1984 (I think). Dreadful, chaotic, awful sound, out of tune, apathetic drivel

Best gig? There's been lots:

Kraftwerk at Liverpool Empire on the Pocket Calculator tour. Awesome sound!

The Clash at Deeside, though somewhat marred by racist booing when Mikey Dread was on

Chilli Peppers, either at the Clarendon, Electric Ballroom, Mean Fiddler or Astoria - possibly Astoria as they were seriously tight, and rockin', and I managed to blag 6 of us into the after show party using my BBC pass. Ended up dancing with Flea to "Flashlight" by Parliament!

Ian Dury, every time. Probably The Best Band Ever

Bootsy at the Barbican. Proper!

Mutoid Waste Company and World Domination Enterprises at the Tabernacle; like Mad Max on steroids followed by the nastiest rocknroll noise you could ever hope for

Jamaaladeen Tacuma/James Blood Ulmer/Calvin Weston at the Bull and Gate (before it was the Powerhaus). Never knew jazz could funk and rock so much!

Dead Kennedys at Leeds Poly; gobsmacking...

And worst?

Culture Club at Leeds Poly - didn't like their songs so in some ways it was a small mercy they were only on for 20 mins!

Hall and Oates at Birmingham Symphony Hall - they were perfectly good, the bass player was great but I hated every song...

And an honourable mention to my old band; we had a gig booked at I think it was the Kings Head in Fulham. We knew that record company scouts were coming, so we decided the best thing to do was to all take an enormous cocktail of drink and drugs to improve our rock'n'roll-ness. We were absolutely terrible - out of time, out of key, forgetting songs all the while thinking we were playing really well. Never heard back from the record companies!

5 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Bloody hell, that is a gig to show off about!  I sometimes boast to younger people about seeing Joy Division but that doesn't come near Cream at the Marquee.

It was the time. You could phone up their agent and get almost any band for your "club" gig. Pub back rooms, scout huts, community centres, town halls etc were very busy back then. John Mayall, Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Jeff Beck Group, Jimi Hendrix, Geno Washington, Jimmy James etc all regularly toured these gigs around the country. I also saw many US artists in these venues. Guys like Bo Diddley, Ben E King, Lee Dorsey and John Lee Hooker. The colleges, Uni's and Poly's also had great gigs. SW London was a good place to be back then.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

Ignoring those spoiled by the audience, worst - probably the Rolling Stones, Maine Road 1990. They were dull, sloppy and completely uninterested. Also Wilko Johnson at a club in Blackpool. Was never my cup of tea (although seems a lovely bloke) and I’d just gone to see Norman W-R, who for some reason couldn’t play that night. I lasted 2 songs IIRC. I think it’s the only gig I’ve ever walked out of. Adam Ant was also terrible at Solfest (and I loved Adam & The Ants) but thankfully he wasn’t the only person playing. 

Best? Fleetwood Mac, also at Maine Road. Had always wanted to see them at an outdoor gig and it didn’t disappoint.

There are too many honourable mentions to list, but they include Hawkwind at Preston ‘79, Manowar Manchester Apollo ‘84, Chilis at Glasgow Green, First Aid Kit Manchester and Liverpool, Lissie with the Travelling Band at Perranporth and Shepherd’s Bush Empire and Stanley Clarke with Hiromi at Ronnie Scott’s….

Edited by 4000

Best was Cult Of Luna performing their Mariner collaboration with Julie Christmas in full at 2016's Damnation Festival

Other notables were Mistress's last ever show again at Damnation but in 2009, the Lounge Kittens penultimate show at Union Chapel last February, Tool at Wembley Arena in 2006 and Opeth at The Mean Fidldler in 2005

Worst, probably HIM at Cambridge Corn Exchange 2004/2005; Cathedral were supporting so not a complete wash out, but the headliners were dull.

We went to see Mamas Boyz in the Garage in the 80's I think. They were the loudest band I have ever experienced. It was a wall of noise. My ears were ringing afterwards. You couldn't distinguish what song they were playing it was so loud. Even to a young Metal head they were too loud.

Best gig, probably The Ramones at Hammersmith Palais but Sisters of Mercy 1st tour at Nottingham Rock City was right up there, and on the flip side Sisters of Mercy again at Rock City many years later was definitely the worst gig, so bad we left after about 20 minutes!

I have to admit I saw The Smiths on their first proper tour and only lasted 3 songs before leaving for the pub!

Best gig: Steely Dan at Hammermith in 2007 - glad I got to see them while Walter Becker & Cornelius Bumpus were still alive. Keith Carlock played his backside off that night.

Worst gig: Toss up between Martin Stephenson & the Daintees at The Forum Kentish Town (audience spent half the time talking through the gig, so went home early) or Chris Rea at Wembley Arena (rubbish sound).

The wife and her sister went to see Meatloaf at the NEC and he almost emptied the place. He played 2 songs in the first 45 mins and spent the rest of the time going on about how everyone should thank God for their lives and how good was great.

People were leaving in bigger numbers than they entered. Deb lasted an hour before telling her sister she wait in the car.

20 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Best gig: hhhmmm one of these three I reckon:

• The Magic Band (Post Beefheart) 2002 London
  • Dahka Brahka Couple of years ago London 
  • Goat Couple of years ago London

Worst: Hard to say but I'll go for Stump, late 80's I suppose.

I assume the band played OK, but he soundman forgot to put an audible amount of guitar or bass into the mix :facepalm:

Magic Band at Shepherds Bush Empire? If it’s the same one I was there and yes, it was fantastic 

Best? Possibly..., Billy Joel at the MEN Arena Manchester 2007. Gifted front row tickets on getting in. Only member of the 12000 audience to sing into Billy’s mic, on the last line of “It’s Still Rock n Roll to Me”. Large portion of the crowd goes nuts in my direction. Yes!